cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a buyer have to let the seller know item is damaged?

I sold some plates and they were delivered on April 2nd, nearly seven weeks ago. The buyer sent me a message today 05/21 and said there was a little chip on one. I have never had a buyer contact me so long after purchasing from me. I know the plate was not chipped when I shipped it.  Not saying it couldn't have arrived with a chip. I would hope she had opened and examined the plates before today and if she had, how do I know she didn't chip the plate after so long.  I know Ebay usually sides with the buyer if a resolution is opened, but even after so much time has passed?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Buyers have 30 days to file a dispute on eBay; 180 days if they paid with PayPal; and/or whatever timeframe their credit/debit card issuer allows, if they paid that way (or if their PayPal funding source is a credit/debit card).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@bellarama10 Be very careful because I have seen posts on this forum of buyers being allowed to open a case even after 30 days on this platform. Also as mentioned they can open a case for up to six months using PP. One small chip may not be something that big. Depending on the buyer's attitude, try to keep communication very civil. No accusations, remember they are in the driver's seat here. 

It's up to you on how to proceed but keep in mind you want the better solution. Shipping plates would be rather expensive so you don't want to ask them to return or you will have to pony up the return label. Perhaps this might be a case where a partial refund might serve you best. Just make sure you cover yourself and keep your expenses to a minimum. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

"dear buyer, it's been seven weeks, how am I to know you did not inadvertently chip the plate during the time it's been in your possession?  This is why eBay only gives 30 days to register a complaint about your items."

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No, no, no. You don't want to antagonize the buyer. Apologize and ask them what you can do to make it right. Remember, they can open a credit card case and you lose everything if they win.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@bellarama10 Be very careful because I have seen posts on this forum of buyers being allowed to open a case even after 30 days on this platform.

Yes, they can still open a case after the 30 days, but it's up to the seller if they want to accept it or not.

Ebay won't force you to accept it after the 30 days.

Have a great day
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You have lovely items!! Really pretty.. 

I feel for you- there's no way to know if the buyer chipped the plate- sorry.

That's some hefty shipping to get the plates back & buyer might chip before returning even if they aren't actually chipped. 

I would ask what you can do to make sure they had a good buying experience..

I smell a partial refund fisher.

Good Luck to you.. 

ETA: Per Kensgiftshop seems like you might be in the clear.. Fingers crossed.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@bellarama10 wrote:

I sold some plates and they were delivered on April 2nd, nearly seven weeks ago. The buyer sent me a message today 05/21 and said there was a little chip on one. I have never had a buyer contact me so long after purchasing from me. I know the plate was not chipped when I shipped it.  Not saying it couldn't have arrived with a chip. I would hope she had opened and examined the plates before today and if she had, how do I know she didn't chip the plate after so long.  I know Ebay usually sides with the buyer if a resolution is opened, but even after so much time has passed?

That's only if the case was opened within the 30 days.

If it's past the 30 days, Ebay won't force you to accept the return.

If the buyer paid using Pay Pal, they have 180 days to open case, but they pay return shipping.

They have about the same time with most credit cards.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

"How am I to know you did not inadvertently chip the plate during the time it's been in your possession?"

The buyer had decided that the chip was not their fault before they sent you the message. Suggesting the chip is the buyers fault will just make them irate.

Your goal is to keep the most money, which includes avoiding return shipping or any cases being opened. Offer a partial refund.

"I'm sorry about that chip. I must have missed that during the inspection process. I don't have a replacement to send. Let me offer to make the situation right by sending you a refund for the one plate."

Message 9 of 9
latest reply