cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmmmm, rubs chin - closing my store and all of a sudden stuff starts selling

Deadsville for weeks, and then suddenly three sales in one day, three more BINS "hit" but not paid yet (I allow that so purchasers can buy more than one item - all ship by weight) and another item with six bids. 

Hmmmmm.  I know the search is streaky but this is a bit of a coincidence.  None of the sales were promoted items btw.  

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Hmmmm, rubs chin - closing my store and all of a sudden stuff starts selling

@evelyb30 wrote:

Deadsville for weeks, and then suddenly three sales in one day, three more BINS "hit" but not paid yet (I allow that so purchasers can buy more than one item - all ship by weight) and another item with six bids. 

Hmmmmm.  I know the search is streaky but this is a bit of a coincidence.  None of the sales were promoted items btw.  

Can you define more precisely what you mean by "deadsville" and what the "coincidence" is?

Are you saying you have no sales at all for weeks? That you have not had multiple sales on the same day for weeks? Something else?

Are you saying you DID close your store, or just that you were thinking about closing it?

What you mean by "search is streaky" and how did you "know" this?

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Re: Hmmmm, rubs chin - closing my store and all of a sudden stuff starts selling

This happened to me the last few years when it comes time to renew my store then after I renew back to the same ole same ole. This year it wont happen, I will close down my store by July. Will still list but not with a store.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Hmmm - deliberately obtuse?  Non-native English speaker?  (I occasionally have to translate American for British and Dutch friends, the latter speaking better English than I do some days.) 

Store is cancelled as of 5/31 as in not renewed.   Sales have been two to three per week for weeks or months.  Sold like crazy in December, slowed down in January, and then crawled almost to a halt by May.   Multiple sales on one day have been few and far between for some time.  

As for deadsville and coincidence, deadsville = dead air, crickets,  no sales or close to it.  Coincidence - two things happening at the same time accidentally that appear related.   

How do I know Search is streaky?  17 years on the platform. Experience.   And experience says this is no coincidence, and I just had another sale.  That's  a month's worth in recent terms happening in under 24 hours.  

Coincidence hmm?????  

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Why do normal fluctuations in sales have to be some sort of glitch or conspiracy?

My stamp sales slack of in the US and Canada and Europe slack off when the weather warms up in the spring.

No conspiracy,    Stamp collecting is a cold weather hobby.

Sales pick up in South America and Australia right about now.    Winter is coming!

Course,    Could be search.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

"Hmmm - deliberately obtuse?  Non-native English speaker?"

Nope - just asking for clarification.

"closing my store"

I asked about the meaning of "closing my store" because some sellers come to this board and say they are "ending their listings" when they still have active listings. So I was hoping you were interested in clarifying what you meant.

"deadsville for weeks"

I asked about the meaning of "deadsville for weeks" because your sold listings show 17 sold items since May 1. For instance, I see 3 sold items on May 8th, 2 on the 13th,and 2 on the 16th.  But because the date on sold listings is not always the actual sale date, so I was hoping you were interested in clarifying what you meant.

"dead air, crickets, no sales or close to it" 

Again, I was hoping you were interested in clarifying what you meant. But "No sales or close to it" seems .. well ... deliberately obtuse.

"Coincidence"

I understand the definition of coincidence. I was simply hoping you were interested in defining the events that were coinciding - Was that you had already closed your store, or just that you were thinking about it? Was it that you got sales at all, or was it the fact that it was multiple sales? 

But if you'd prefer to just question my language skills, that's fine.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

The  language comprehension skills seem serviceable.    It was either question comprehension (per direct requests for unneeded clarification )  or infer active hostility.  Frankly your responses indicate the latter in spades with no room for doubt. I was attempting to be polite.   Shouldn't have bothered. 

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@dirk12955 wrote:

Why do normal fluctuations in sales have to be some sort of glitch or conspiracy?

My stamp sales slack of in the US and Canada and Europe slack off when the weather warms up in the spring.

No conspiracy,    Stamp collecting is a cold weather hobby.

Sales pick up in South America and Australia right about now.    Winter is coming!

Course,    Could be search.

They don't have to be. Weird stuff happens, eBay being eBay.  It's a timing thing.  I opted to not renew the store on Sunday afternoon, and the sales came in less than 24 hours after said opt out.  (one has since cancelled ...better that than an NAD!)   Had this happend last month it would have meant little or nothing.  But within less than a day of store closure???    I at least have to wonder.  

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

@evelyb30 

Interesting.  No way to know for certain "why" the sudden interest, etc.  I too would find it an odd quinky-dynk.

Glad there are some sales - are you re-considering changing course for 5/31?  Others seem to be thinking of cancelling their stores, downgrading, based on posts/treads.

I ran a spreadsheet report recently to see how much the fvfs "savings" was off-setting my "store" fee per monthly.  It isn't.

But the supplies per quarter helps a little.  Extra free listings helps some (just not enough categories).

Glad you shared.  On the fence about ours and renewal is 7/1.    

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

@evelyb30 wrote:

@evelyb30 

Interesting.  No way to know for certain "why" the sudden interest, etc.  I too would find it an odd quinky-dynk.

Glad there are some sales - are you re-considering changing course for 5/31?  Others seem to be thinking of cancelling their stores, downgrading, based on posts/treads.

I ran a spreadsheet report recently to see how much the fvfs "savings" was off-setting my "store" fee per monthly.  It isn't.

But the supplies per quarter helps a little.  Extra free listings helps some (just not enough categories).

Glad you shared.  On the fence about ours and renewal is 7/1.    

I ran the numbers in my head, and my sales just didn't justify the expense per month of a yearly contract never mind a month-to-month.  I had a Basic store too, to make things worse.  Unless something drastic happens, I'll probably be done selling almost entirely by the end of the year. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I guess the fact that we had a $13,000 sales day after a week of slow sales at my B&M job yesterday is a conspiracy too.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

There is something very strange going on with this Company! They keep changing their format for selling then charge enormous fees I am thinking of dumping them and I think everybody should do the same. I have over 60 items listed with e-bay and over the last week and a half nothing was sold! I normally would sell sometimes 3-4 items a week! Also I have tried to list an item the system won't allow me to do it. You call these people and all they do is refer you to some one else!!  I've tried to make corrections to no avail Their system does not work!  If anyone is experiencing this contact me  Joe The error that I get states this :

Oops!

Since optional or required shipping insurance is no longer allowed on eBay (see more info😞 

• You can't charge buyers a separate fee for insurance, either in a listing or after they've committed to purchasing your item fold the cost of insurance into your item price or handling fee.

•  You can't indicate insurance is only offered upon the buyer's request.

• You can't say that you're not responsible for the item once it has shipped.

What you can do:
  • You can still insure items by including the cost of insurance in the item's price or in your handling cost.

• You can say "The item is insured" or "Handling cost includes insurance" in your listing description.

Please make any necessary changes to your listing before posting it on eBay. Also, make sure it follows our selling practices policy .

Find out more about the Shipping Costs portion of our selling practices policy

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@evelyb30 wrote:

It was either question comprehension (per direct requests for unneeded clarification )  or infer active hostility. 

Active hostility? ROTFL.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Posts like these should just be removed for spam 

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

@chrispass918 wrote:

Posts like these should just be removed for spam 

Respectfully disagree.

To the OP, they have valid concerns and chose to share. 

Perspective is reality to the OP and who is anyone to say that their concerns are not valid?

Anyone can choose to read a thread, not read, comment, not-comment.

ymmv

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 15 of 19
latest reply