cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here We Go Again Ebay Telling Sellers No Views Unless You Pay More Money

By now many sellers  who has been with ebay for years, has expressed how their sale went down (50 to 75 percent). Ebay knows this, and still not promoting sellers items in promoted listings. Promoted listing appears to be a scam to milk sellers out of more money, and sellers are still not getting views.  Ebay is intentionally, throttling sellers views, no matter how much a sellers use promoted listings, or how many items  a seller list in his/her store every day. I have been speaking to ebay support for months, and most agents admits ebay is throttling sellers view count each month. Others say it's a tech issue. Now once again ebay telling sellers if they want more views pay even more money.  Here we go again!  When ebay roll out the new view format, saying because of "bots" that was ebay's big trick. For exmaple, if you put your store link on blogs, website, etc, and when people click on your store link, ebay is going to classify some of those blogs, and websites as bots, block the view, when it's a real person.  Also, ebay use to let sellers link their store to googles shop Free. Now, ebay want sellers sellers  jumping through hoops, and have the to pay for being listed in googles shop. I even sent out 75,000 emails with my store link in them, (tracking them for ebay clicks),  seeing if I get only one percent click views.  Tracking shows people are clicking into my store (In which should have raise my store analytics, and view count. However, on my ebay site nothing has changed.  The same number of views each day, each month. Thus, yes, if you are not getting many views, no matter what you are doing, ebay is throttling (cap) your view count at a certain number a day, a month.  However, sellers you may want to do this to get views? Open a bing ad account, and place your own ads on the second biggest serach engine in the world.  You can set your own ad click rates from 1 cent per click on up. You will get more "impressions" than what ebay going to give you. Plus ebay going to charge you more for  clicks in promoted listing. In this way you can create multiple ads, get more "impressions", which relates to more clicks, more people viewing your store.

Another trick ebay has done to sellers, is asking selllers to link their social media accounts to ebay to promote items.  People who have been on ebay for decades never needed ebay to promote their listings on social media.  Sellers just did it.  Now ebay tell sellers to link their social media account to ebay, then you (The seller) still do all the work.  Another trick of ebay! Sellers once you link your social media accounts to ebay, you gave ebay premission to allow ebay all your "contacts", so ebay can promote "Other People" items (Not Your's) , to those contacts. In other words, ebay want to charge you, for what you giving ebay free by linking your social media accounts. WOW! Every so many months ebay comes out with a new trick, to milk sellers out of more money.  Soon ebay will no longer offer free accounts. It use to be 500 free items, than 250 free items, now there are reports some people only get to list 150 to 200 free items.   Ebay apoligists, and ebay agents  will read this. Yes, "notorious" ebay will retaliate against me in some type of form, as they always do to people. Than there are this fourm monitors, who will delete posts, even re-write someone post who is critical towards ebay.  No matter, this post is not for them, it's for people who is doing everything right selling on ebay, yet ebay is doing you wrong intentionally. Find alternative ways to make ebay tricks less then a burden.  Stay within ebay rules, keep doing whats right, go sell on other websites, as well as on ebay.  Most important, build your own website using paypal payment system, and paypal shipping  (Or other shipping services) .  You all have a Bless Year, through the ups, and downs. 

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Here We Go Again Ebay Telling Sellers No Views Unless You Pay More Money

I will try & keep it in mind

Message 61 of 74
latest reply

You clearly do not understand my original post and the fact that those who continually support Ebay NO MATTER WHAT SOMEONE IS CLEARLY GOING THROUGH is in fact disgusting. You also assume that I am staying on this platform because I have listings. That is a bit ignorant on your part as well because YOU do not know what my goals and intentions for using this website currently are. And yes, I firmly standing behind every word I said... why else would I say it.. to please you; I don't think so.

You go on and on about how we are to be tolerant of differing opinions but yet here you and another poster are critiquing me for having a different opinion... hypocritcal to say the least.

Funny how it is ALWAYS those who rally behind Ebay the most that attack those with opposing views the most. My comment WAS NOT to you or any other comment; only the original poster. If it offends you then move on. You are not that important and neither are my comments honestly if they don't benefit you in someway. WHY do you feel the need to argue with someone who disagrees with you?

Message 62 of 74
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@memorymarielane wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@memorymarielane 

It is absolutely amazing that some can't come here and have a civil conversation without name calling and the such.  We are after all adults here or are suppose to be.  Because some may not share your point of view doesn't mean theirs is less important than yours.  There is room for everyone here.  If we do more listening, we may do more learning.

" I see the same people come here on almost every post supporting ebay no matter what ...", then I'd say you did not read all the posts because this is NOT an accurate statement, nor is the title of this thread a true statement.

I too understand the point the OP is trying to make.  I only take issue with how they are trying to deliver that message and the word choices at times.  As you, I do not use PLS.  That is the choice I made.  To use PLS is a CHOICE for each seller to make for themselves.  There is no right or wrong answer.  I works fine is some categories and not so much in others.  CHOICE, remember it is a choice.  You have made yours, other have a right to make their own too.

Yep, every so often when someone gets upset with Ebay for one reason or another they say things like "Ebay has no foundation and thus will collapse eventually."  I mean all the time for a couple of decades.  So it must be a very slow burn while they continue to be a profitable corporation.

You do realize that Ebay has somewhere around 1.7 BILLION active listings.  

Thanks for the laugh and proving my point even further. Happy selling to you on Ebay. I stand firm behind every single word I typed.

That is simply SAD!

Not at all, it just proves the point that you come on here and critique me for having an opposing opinion and then try to tell me how supportive Ebay commenters are of others who have opposing views. You are a hypocrite and honestly if you disagree with me then why bother to even response? Geeze you people need to get a life off of this chat board. Hate me if you want but I seriously do not care.

Message 63 of 74
latest reply

"WHY do you feel the need to argue with someone who disagrees with you?"

Just my opinion, but it really wouldn't make much sense to argue with someone who agrees with you, would it? I mean, that would seem to miss the point of an argument, wouldn't it?

I feel compelled to post this:

Message 64 of 74
latest reply

@memorymarielane ,

My guess is the posters continually support eBay are doing just fine selling on eBay. Just like on any platform there some sellers that are doing great, good, mediocre, bad, or terrible. For the most part your not going to see the sellers doing great come here and post how great they are doing. They don't want to look like they are bragging. There many successful sellers on here that have been on these boards for a long time and are probably tired of seeing the same sellers complaining or sellers complaining about the same things over and over.  

I've been in sales since I got out of college and ebay is a successful side gig for me. In sales usually 20% of the people do 80% of the business. Whether they widgets, houses, cars, mortgages, boxes, insurance, and etc. I'd be willing to bet ebay sellers are no different. The top 20% of sellers do 80% of the sales.  

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is what makes this country the best in the world.  We can agree to disagree. There are many sellers on these boards that are very passionate for eBay or against ebay and that is ok.

Message 65 of 74
latest reply

Hi everyone,

This discussion has gotten a bit heated. Please remember that, while it is fine to disagree with others, discussion should always remain friendly and respectful as required by the Community Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Message 66 of 74
latest reply

@memorymarielane wrote:

You clearly do not understand my original post and the fact that those who continually support Ebay NO MATTER WHAT SOMEONE IS CLEARLY GOING THROUGH is in fact disgusting. You also assume that I am staying on this platform because I have listings. That is a bit ignorant on your part as well because YOU do not know what my goals and intentions for using this website currently are. And yes, I firmly standing behind every word I said... why else would I say it.. to please you; I don't think so.

You go on and on about how we are to be tolerant of differing opinions but yet here you and another poster are critiquing me for having a different opinion... hypocritcal to say the least.

Funny how it is ALWAYS those who rally behind Ebay the most that attack those with opposing views the most. My comment WAS NOT to you or any other comment; only the original poster. If it offends you then move on. You are not that important and neither are my comments honestly if they don't benefit you in someway. WHY do you feel the need to argue with someone who disagrees with you?

@memorymarielane I guess i am not being clear. I am not “attacking” you, but i will try to remain vigilant since you clearly feel i am. For that i am sorry.

Nor am i criticizing you for having a different opinion about eBay. (I believe i have said enough times that everyone’s voice has a place here.)   What I am saying is that the name-calling is offensive and devolves the entire discussion. Such words as “Cheerleader” “ignorant” “hypocrite” “disgusting” etc. It does not move the discourse forward but brings it to an abrupt halt. 

Message 67 of 74
latest reply

lol, I did to the end . by the way you have a type o ...

Message 68 of 74
latest reply

I did to the end . by the way you have a type o ...

Message 69 of 74
latest reply

@iguana69art wrote:

lol, I did to the end . by the way you have a type o ...

OLD thread.  What is the point?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 70 of 74
latest reply

Yes, for all these people claiming they have no problems, possibly they are grandfathered in with massive inventory and treated like gold but I will tell you that although I only started 10 years ago I had hundreds of views each item and sales non stop on the stupidest items yet now ever since we have to promote I can barely get views even on a brand new up to date iphone in which is so bad that many items I sold worth hundreds went for only first low bid price of 99 cents or 9.99 because other people didn't see my item to over bid the first bidder. I lost out so much on ebay it makes me sick. It's actually criminal, limit views unless you pay even more on top what they already charge and the massive loss we get being shipping is so high we have to practically give our stuff away for free. Please don't tell me the algorithm isn't set to make you lose unless you give up your dignity and profits and pay the extra cost because I specifically was told this by an actual ebay representative. Some people on here while laid off or handicapped need this income and I'm sorry but it's absolutely disgusting what they are doing.

Message 71 of 74
latest reply

@leek7788 wrote:

Yes, for all these people claiming they have no problems, possibly they are grandfathered in with massive inventory and treated like gold but I will tell you that although I only started 10 years ago I had hundreds of views each item and sales non stop on the stupidest items yet now ever since we have to promote I can barely get views even on a brand new up to date iphone in which is so bad that many items I sold worth hundreds went for only first low bid price of 99 cents or 9.99 because other people didn't see my item to over bid the first bidder. I lost out so much on ebay it makes me sick. It's actually criminal, limit views unless you pay even more on top what they already charge and the massive loss we get being shipping is so high we have to practically give our stuff away for free. Please don't tell me the algorithm isn't set to make you lose unless you give up your dignity and profits and pay the extra cost because I specifically was told this by an actual ebay representative. Some people on here while laid off or handicapped need this income and I'm sorry but it's absolutely disgusting what they are doing.

We are NOT "grandfathered" into anything as there isn't anything to be "grandfathered" into.

We have a problem with views being down across the entire site.  And it has been that way for awhile.  Likely due to losing buyers.  A lot of them over the past few years.

With that said Promoted Listings is a TOOL in which a seller may CHOOSE to use or choose not to use.  It seems to work OK in categories that are really saturated with listings and not so well in others.  Each seller needs to test this for themselves and find the right path for them.  

While I know some seem to want one answer that is for everyone, there simply isn't one.  We as sellers are a diverse group of people.  A one size fits all approach just doesn't work for things like this, which is why Ebay made it a TOOL in which sellers can CHOOSE  to use or not to use.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 72 of 74
latest reply

I've been looking all over the Internet for information like this!

I've been making consistent daily sales for the past 6 months, I've been doing pretty well actually.

All of a sudden, yesterday all sales stopped, which isn't normal at all. I've still had no sales all night or today which confirms to me that ebay has altered something on my account.

It's the same with views, the listings that I usually get a lot of views, now aren't getting any!

What the hell are you meant to do about this, just allow them to stop you making money?? If the algorithm is wanting me to promote my listings and charge me an extra 10%, then that's around 17-20% commission they want, which is a lot more than the other sales sites. 

Knowing this now, I don't feel like I want to be apart of selling on ebay. I will continue transitioning over to amazon!

Message 73 of 74
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 74 of 74
latest reply