cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here We Go Again Ebay Telling Sellers No Views Unless You Pay More Money

By now many sellers  who has been with ebay for years, has expressed how their sale went down (50 to 75 percent). Ebay knows this, and still not promoting sellers items in promoted listings. Promoted listing appears to be a scam to milk sellers out of more money, and sellers are still not getting views.  Ebay is intentionally, throttling sellers views, no matter how much a sellers use promoted listings, or how many items  a seller list in his/her store every day. I have been speaking to ebay support for months, and most agents admits ebay is throttling sellers view count each month. Others say it's a tech issue. Now once again ebay telling sellers if they want more views pay even more money.  Here we go again!  When ebay roll out the new view format, saying because of "bots" that was ebay's big trick. For exmaple, if you put your store link on blogs, website, etc, and when people click on your store link, ebay is going to classify some of those blogs, and websites as bots, block the view, when it's a real person.  Also, ebay use to let sellers link their store to googles shop Free. Now, ebay want sellers sellers  jumping through hoops, and have the to pay for being listed in googles shop. I even sent out 75,000 emails with my store link in them, (tracking them for ebay clicks),  seeing if I get only one percent click views.  Tracking shows people are clicking into my store (In which should have raise my store analytics, and view count. However, on my ebay site nothing has changed.  The same number of views each day, each month. Thus, yes, if you are not getting many views, no matter what you are doing, ebay is throttling (cap) your view count at a certain number a day, a month.  However, sellers you may want to do this to get views? Open a bing ad account, and place your own ads on the second biggest serach engine in the world.  You can set your own ad click rates from 1 cent per click on up. You will get more "impressions" than what ebay going to give you. Plus ebay going to charge you more for  clicks in promoted listing. In this way you can create multiple ads, get more "impressions", which relates to more clicks, more people viewing your store.

Another trick ebay has done to sellers, is asking selllers to link their social media accounts to ebay to promote items.  People who have been on ebay for decades never needed ebay to promote their listings on social media.  Sellers just did it.  Now ebay tell sellers to link their social media account to ebay, then you (The seller) still do all the work.  Another trick of ebay! Sellers once you link your social media accounts to ebay, you gave ebay premission to allow ebay all your "contacts", so ebay can promote "Other People" items (Not Your's) , to those contacts. In other words, ebay want to charge you, for what you giving ebay free by linking your social media accounts. WOW! Every so many months ebay comes out with a new trick, to milk sellers out of more money.  Soon ebay will no longer offer free accounts. It use to be 500 free items, than 250 free items, now there are reports some people only get to list 150 to 200 free items.   Ebay apoligists, and ebay agents  will read this. Yes, "notorious" ebay will retaliate against me in some type of form, as they always do to people. Than there are this fourm monitors, who will delete posts, even re-write someone post who is critical towards ebay.  No matter, this post is not for them, it's for people who is doing everything right selling on ebay, yet ebay is doing you wrong intentionally. Find alternative ways to make ebay tricks less then a burden.  Stay within ebay rules, keep doing whats right, go sell on other websites, as well as on ebay.  Most important, build your own website using paypal payment system, and paypal shipping  (Or other shipping services) .  You all have a Bless Year, through the ups, and downs. 

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Here We Go Again Ebay Telling Sellers No Views Unless You Pay More Money

You're certainly going to get the "ebay cheerleaders" against you on this one. I see the same people come here on almost every post supporting ebay no matter what has happened to the seller; it is pretty disgusting acutally.

To get to your point of this thread I agree with you 100% of what you've said. I REFUSE to pay for promoted listings. I REFUSE to share my listings on social media. WHY... because number one promoted a listing to be seen is not organic and number two if I wanted to sell my items on social media I would simply do so.

Ebay has no foundation and thus will collapse eventually. It's downfall is evident and the "smart sellers" are slowly moving on or have completely left already. Time to wake up and see the writing on the wall. OR you can be like many and go down with the ship and drown. It's every person's choice but I've already made mine and am content with it!

I know you've done the same!

Message 46 of 74
latest reply

They always find a way to screw us over. I'm just so defeated. It's gotten so bad that I'm having those thoughts. The I can understand why x causes y to do z. You fill in xyz.

Message 47 of 74
latest reply

@memorymarielane 

It is absolutely amazing that some can't come here and have a civil conversation without name calling and the such.  We are after all adults here or are suppose to be.  Because some may not share your point of view doesn't mean theirs is less important than yours.  There is room for everyone here.  If we do more listening, we may do more learning.

" I see the same people come here on almost every post supporting ebay no matter what ...", then I'd say you did not read all the posts because this is NOT an accurate statement, nor is the title of this thread a true statement.

I too understand the point the OP is trying to make.  I only take issue with how they are trying to deliver that message and the word choices at times.  As you, I do not use PLS.  That is the choice I made.  To use PLS is a CHOICE for each seller to make for themselves.  There is no right or wrong answer.  I works fine is some categories and not so much in others.  CHOICE, remember it is a choice.  You have made yours, other have a right to make their own too.

Yep, every so often when someone gets upset with Ebay for one reason or another they say things like "Ebay has no foundation and thus will collapse eventually."  I mean all the time for a couple of decades.  So it must be a very slow burn while they continue to be a profitable corporation.

You do realize that Ebay has somewhere around 1.7 BILLION active listings.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 48 of 74
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@memorymarielane 

2.4 if you know where to look 😂

Message 49 of 74
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@memorymarielane 

2.4 if you know where to look 😂

That one made me LOL.   

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 50 of 74
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@memorymarielane 

It is absolutely amazing that some can't come here and have a civil conversation without name calling and the such.  We are after all adults here or are suppose to be.  Because some may not share your point of view doesn't mean theirs is less important than yours.  There is room for everyone here.  If we do more listening, we may do more learning.

" I see the same people come here on almost every post supporting ebay no matter what ...", then I'd say you did not read all the posts because this is NOT an accurate statement, nor is the title of this thread a true statement.

I too understand the point the OP is trying to make.  I only take issue with how they are trying to deliver that message and the word choices at times.  As you, I do not use PLS.  That is the choice I made.  To use PLS is a CHOICE for each seller to make for themselves.  There is no right or wrong answer.  I works fine is some categories and not so much in others.  CHOICE, remember it is a choice.  You have made yours, other have a right to make their own too.

Yep, every so often when someone gets upset with Ebay for one reason or another they say things like "Ebay has no foundation and thus will collapse eventually."  I mean all the time for a couple of decades.  So it must be a very slow burn while they continue to be a profitable corporation.

Thanks for the laugh and proving my point even further. Happy selling to you on Ebay. I stand firm behind every single word I typed.

Message 51 of 74
latest reply

@memorymarielane wrote:

Thanks for the laugh and proving my point even further. Happy selling to you on Ebay. I stand firm behind every single word I typed.”

You must be aware that calling fellow posters who have a different point of view “cheerleaders” is insulting. It is an effort aimed at minimizing and invalidating their participation.

You are a Top Rated seller and have sold here consistently, at least since 2018. You denigrate the platform you currently have multiple listings up on, but state how the “smart sellers” are leaving/have left, yet you yourself remain. That speaks to the credibility of everything you just posted, and your final words especially—

“I stand firm behind every single word I typed.”

Message 52 of 74
latest reply

@memorymarielane wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@memorymarielane 

Thanks for the laugh and proving my point even further. Happy selling to you on Ebay. I stand firm behind every single word I typed.

That is simply SAD!

Message 53 of 74
latest reply

@memorymarielane wrote:

You're certainly going to get the "ebay cheerleaders" against you on this one. I see the same people come here on almost every post supporting ebay no matter what has happened to the seller; it is pretty disgusting acutally.

Ebay has no foundation and thus will collapse eventually. It's downfall is evident and the "smart sellers" are slowly moving on or have completely left already. Time to wake up and see the writing on the wall. OR you can be like many and go down with the ship and drown. It's every person's choice but I've already made mine and am content with it!

I know you've done the same!

Believe it or not, there are many who sell on eBay who know how to manage their financial affairs and make selling work for them.  We are the same people who understand that we are merely renting space on eBay and that eBay sets the rules.   We are not entitled and do not expect eBay to hold our hand.  The only time you are going to run into trouble on a platform like this is if you stop paying attention.

As for eBays' collapse... well, eventually the earth will get too close to the sun and it too will disappear.   In the meantime, enjoy the ride, play by the rules that eBay has set, and never, ever use your own money in online endeavors such as this.

Message 54 of 74
latest reply

I Can't even see any listings for you??

Message 55 of 74
latest reply

I Actually do the same thing, I never use paragraphs, I just keep going & going, My Bad!

Message 56 of 74
latest reply

@craft-stash ,

I beg to differ with your opinion. If you have items that are in demand and priced competitively you will get plenty of sales. When I mean competitively I don't mean the lowest priced.

This is not my main gig and do very well on here. Because I have handled my finances responsibly and not lived beyond my means, over the years I could quite my job and sell on here fulltime and live comfortably.

My house is almost paid off and I have no car payment. I can put another 100,000 miles on it before I need to even consider buying a new one.

Message 57 of 74
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

I Actually do the same thing, I never use paragraphs, I just keep going & going, My Bad!

For some of us this is a real issue for our eyes.  It in some cases is a sure bet to a headache as well.  Literally.

Hitting the return key twice is really so easy and it makes things so much easier to read and follow.  It also helps us not to miss something important in what you are trying to share with us.  @meme6253 

Message 58 of 74
latest reply

@mn467462 wrote:

They always find a way to screw us over. I'm just so defeated. 

What do you mean "us"?

I love eBay!  They provide me a platform from which to sell desirable things to others; they enable the transfer of funds in a secure and protected manner; and they give me access to my funds almost immediately.  In exchange, I pay them a relatively small fee (technically my buyers pay that fee but that's another story).

What more could a fully functioning, self-sufficient and sentient adult want?  

I was active on Amazon for about 9 years and read the same whiny, self-pitying comments there from sellers who could not manage to fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Amazon does not care about you, and neither does eBay.  You are not an eBay "partner."  To eBay you are nothing but a piece of code.  

And most certainly unworthy of any special attention.  Unless you mess up because you have made a mistake.

Message 59 of 74
latest reply

I have promoted at 5%, at 20% and at 50% in various campaigns.  There was no discernible difference in gross sales.

Message 60 of 74
latest reply