cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever had a customer accuse you of selling counterfeit items?

This was a shocking and disturbing thing for me yesterday.  On one of my other selling IDs a buyer opened a NAD and claimed my item was counterfeit.  An inexpensive Jockey product that I got when they cleared out a warehouse when they moved operations out of a country.    I buy all my products from Jockey.

Seriously, the item was under $10 and I'm surprised that anyone would think that Jockey products are faked.

I've followed several big brand sellers on eBay and they have also been accused of selling fakes of their own products.

In this current climate it was jarring to see the accusations.  Of course, I have receipts but still the accusation is out there.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

"Have you ever had a customer accuse you of selling counterfeit items?"

It is not rare for that to happen in any venue, for any seller.  

Message 2 of 21
latest reply

As a seller of LEGO, I do get "Are these genuine LEGO or are they knockoffs?"   But 99% of the time, that is a question asked *before* they buy.

Only ONCE though, did a customer buy, THEN messaged suggesting the pieces were off-brand. I explained as nicely as I could, but if still unsatisfied they could return for a refund.   In this case, it seemed they were just fishing for a refund, and never actually requested a return, and never left negative feedback.      I'll call myself fortunate.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Sometimes, this happens when your packaging is not the same as they see in their local store.

Sometimes, what is cleared out of the warehouse is old stock.

Sometimes, the manufacturer packages differently for different chains.

Always a risk when you are selling liquidation merchandise.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

I deal with this from time to time. I manufacture replacement parts for things that have been out of production for decades (or nearly a century in one case). I do what I can to mark that they are replacement parts but many people are averse to reading.. My parts are not counterfeit because they are not sold as originals.

I include a brightly colored note that states "these are new production replacements made on new tooling and are not connected with the original manufacturer in anyway".. By clearly reaffirming in the packaging that I'm not trying to pass my stuff off as originals, it kinda puts the blame on them if they didn't read the description. This method worked pretty good.

In your case you are selling old stock, and it's not uncommon for products to change. A note explaining it could be helpful something like "We hope you enjoy these vintage items, please note packaging and details may vary slightly from current production". Shake that up into something more fitting.. If you have it as new old stock in your description, then it's kinda on them for not noticing

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Sometimes, this happens when your packaging is not the same as they see in their local store.

Sometimes, what is cleared out of the warehouse is old stock.

Sometimes, the manufacturer packages differently for different chains.

Always a risk when you are selling liquidation merchandise.

Should be noted in addition to the above that price or what something is does not preclude it from being counterfeited.  For example I bought bolts at another venue which were supposed to be made by Fastenal which are high quality.  There I go cranking the nut down atop one the bolts and threads stripped.  Naturally call the company only to find I bought knock offs.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

Yes, some whack-a-doo claimed I send her a counterfeit bar of soap. Total price including shipping was $12.75.

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

Always be prepared for that kind of response especially if THEY are trying to force you into a partial refund. It is not extremely uncommon on here for customers to do this whether it is a misunderstanding or not. If they leave bad feedback respond under that feedback with something factual to negate the customers claim.

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Whack-a doodle-do, LOL!

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

I laughed out loud -- thanks for that. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

@csspecs wrote:

I deal with this from time to time. I manufacture replacement parts for things that have been out of production for decades (or nearly a century in one case). I do what I can to mark that they are replacement parts but many people are averse to reading.. My parts are not counterfeit because they are not sold as originals.

I include a brightly colored note that states "these are new production replacements made on new tooling and are not connected with the original manufacturer in anyway".. By clearly reaffirming in the packaging that I'm not trying to pass my stuff off as originals, it kinda puts the blame on them if they didn't read the description. This method worked pretty good.

In your case you are selling old stock, and it's not uncommon for products to change. A note explaining it could be helpful something like "We hope you enjoy these vintage items, please note packaging and details may vary slightly from current production". Shake that up into something more fitting.. If you have it as new old stock in your description, then it's kinda on them for not noticing

Thanks for the tips.  I do note in the description of this item that they are new old stock and have different packaging, they even fit differently and I point that out as well.  Guess I have to go a step further.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I guess I should not be surprised by this but I was taken aback by the accusation.

Ironically, I ran into Target yesterday, first time in over a year, to grab some Easter stuff to send to my granddaughter.  (I almost always shop online)

They had all the Jockey stuff locked up in a cabinet and you would have had to get a clerk to unlock it.  No wonder I sell so much of this stuff online.  

Wasn't there another seller that mentioned he had to get a clerk at Walmart to unlock the briefs to buy? Bizarre.  

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

"Wasn't there another seller that mentioned he had to get a clerk at Walmart to unlock the briefs to buy? Bizarre.  "

I think this may be the result of the flash theft mobs happening.

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Not exactly - but a long time ago I had a buyer say that she suspects that I save my kids clothing price tags and reattach them!!!!  Um okay......and that's why most of what I sell is used.  I guess she has never had a kid get something that doesn't fit, they don't like or she can't return.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

@sfau wrote:

Not exactly - but a long time ago I had a buyer say that she suspects that I save my kids clothing price tags and reattach them!!!!  Um okay......and that's why most of what I sell is used.  I guess she has never had a kid get something that doesn't fit, they don't like or she can't return.

Some people just shouldn't shop online.  They have serious trust issues.

Message 15 of 21
latest reply