cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you ever had a customer accuse you of selling counterfeit items?

This was a shocking and disturbing thing for me yesterday.  On one of my other selling IDs a buyer opened a NAD and claimed my item was counterfeit.  An inexpensive Jockey product that I got when they cleared out a warehouse when they moved operations out of a country.    I buy all my products from Jockey.

Seriously, the item was under $10 and I'm surprised that anyone would think that Jockey products are faked.

I've followed several big brand sellers on eBay and they have also been accused of selling fakes of their own products.

In this current climate it was jarring to see the accusations.  Of course, I have receipts but still the accusation is out there.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Have you ever had a customer accuse you of selling counterfeit items?

It is on them if you make it clear

However they can and do still file INADs

And still accuse and defame your reputation in the negative fb they can incorrectly leave a seller

And ebay will not help remove the fb and incorrect comment

And this is really what the seller is concerned about because their account can be damaged without any proof/evidence, and defamation of them as a seller is left unchecked to harm their account

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Corporations   Target  and  the Walmart  and other name brands just don't want to waste money  enforcing  no  shoplifting  charges    policy  on what they consider  low  priced goods  under $40  or less  , And  the customers have to get  employee  with a key  to open the display case .    These company's  did crazy  return  policy's  for online mail order  that cost them a lot of money  do to buyer return abuse and theft . 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo wrote:

Sometimes, this happens when your packaging is not the same as they see in their local store.

Sometimes, what is cleared out of the warehouse is old stock.

Sometimes, the manufacturer packages differently for different chains.

Always a risk when you are selling liquidation merchandise.

This is really true, but it can even happen when you're selling your OWN products. I was selling supplements here because I had too much product on a subscription, and because the manufacturer used a different sealant tape (some had name of the product on it, some didn't), I got accusations of counterfeiting the stuff. Seriously, it's not the kind of thing anyone is going to counterfeit, it's too niche. One guy tried to prove his point by sending me a YouTube video with some other random dude yabbering about how to detect counterfeits in this stuff. I contacted CS on Facebook and they actually took this random video as proof - basically useless.

I just used the rest of it up myself.

Anyway, you're not alone in this.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Maybe , but I wouldn't have thought underwear was a high theft item.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

The Target near my house put almost of the men's underwear and socks behind locked cabinets. In order to look at or obtain it you need to press a button, wait for an overworked employee who upon arrival unlocks the cabinet and watches you as you decide what undies you as a grown man will purchase. I have watched a few men look at the set-up and back up as if the idea of a stranger watching them pick out underpants was a "not going to happen moment". Initially, the entire concept was so odd, I actually took photos and set it to family members. Now, Walmart has locked up make-up, Lowes locked up random laundry detergent, CVS just locked up all the deodorant. This must be having a significant detrimental impact for brick-and-mortar stores as well as their staff. CVS is so thinly staffed that I watched an employee leave the register to open a locked cabinet - no other staff members were anywhere in sight - it seems risky on so many levels. And I live in a city in Southern California that likes to brag that they are one of the safest cities in the US.  It sure does not feel safe..................

Message 20 of 21
latest reply

@golfingaddict wrote:

This was a shocking and disturbing thing for me yesterday.  On one of my other selling IDs a buyer opened a NAD and claimed my item was counterfeit.  An inexpensive Jockey product that I got when they cleared out a warehouse when they moved operations out of a country.    I buy all my products from Jockey.

Seriously, the item was under $10 and I'm surprised that anyone would think that Jockey products are faked.

I've followed several big brand sellers on eBay and they have also been accused of selling fakes of their own products.

In this current climate it was jarring to see the accusations.  Of course, I have receipts but still the accusation is out there.

I got one of those on a $4 medallion. My response was "I didn't know anyone would bother counterfeiting it, given it's value". I didn't want to pay return postage (they filed an INAD claim), so I refunded then BBLd so they don't buy any more possibly counterfeit $5 tokens.

C.

Message 21 of 21
latest reply