cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Other Sellers Noticed an Increase in Buyers NOT Receiving Their Items?

Anonymous
Not applicable

During 2023 I have had a HUGE increase in items that I ship through the USPS System that are NOT reaching the INTENDED BUYERS.  Naturally, when buyers complain about this problem the FIRST action that Ebay takes is to blame me and accuse me of not having shipped the item(s) to the buyer.  I think that the people that control Ebay are unaware of the fact that since early this year my local Post Offices in Peoria, IL have been posting "HELP WANTED" notices and holding hiring events around our community (and this is likely a nationwide problem).  When you hire new people, they are going to make mistakes.  For example, we recently we notified by our local office that a package was enroute to our home.  Did not receive the package when the mail truck arrived and found that the package had been shipped to Champaign, IL and was returned to our local office and delivered the NEXT day!!!  Probably, someone new made a mistake!  Mistakes do happen and I get that.  My real concern is that some people may take a job at a Post Office with the intention of stealing packages and envelopes that have the unique Ebay shipping label because they expect to find something valuable.  Also, when new USPS delivery drivers are visiting large apartment complexes, they may inadvertently leave their vehicle unlocked or have someone break into the vehicle to steal things (again looking for those Ebay envelopes with good stuff inside).  I know there are customers of mine who have reported they NEVER received their items, when I am CERTAIN I shipped them!!  I know I shipped the items because, like all responsible sellers, I keep a spreadsheet of the items shipped, date shipped, etc.  AND I NEVER LEAVE ANY EBAY ITEMS IN MY MAILBOX TO BE PICKED UP BY MY POSTMAN, I ALWAYS DROP THE ITEMS INTO A SLOT ON THE WALL OF MY LOCAL POST OFFICE SO I KNOW THE POST OFFICE RECEIVES EACH ITEM!!!  EBY NEEDS TO STOP BLAMIING THEIR SELLERS FOR LOST ITEMS WHEN THE ITEM MAY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN STOLEN IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STATE OR BY AN EMPLOYEE WHO GOT HIRED BY MY LOCAL POST OFFICE, WHO IS ONLY WORKING THERE TO STEAL AS MANY EBAY ITEMS AS POSSIBLE!!!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I always stand in line and get a receipt. 

Never have I had a package lost or not delivered. 

The receipt also saved me $ last week after USPS said my package weighed 2 pounds more.

If you load tracking into the system and not a spreadsheet it might help.

I stopped reading once you started accusing USPS employees of theft and went to all CAPs (yelling)

Maybe pick a different shipping company if USPS is so awful.

You have control over all this....

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Mailing something in a standard envelope that is bendable and under 1/4 inch thickness which I use never gets lost by the USPS. 

Sending a coin or coins in the mail might not make it through the machine processing centers in some cities.

And putting something rigid and not bendable in a standard envelope might not also make it to its destination.

I suggest maybe having a clerk at a post office spot check to see if their are any problems with your envelopes being mailed might tell you what you are doing wrong.

It's been a long time since I lost something using USPS which is only what I use to mail something.

I have had in the past mailed 4 trading cards in a standard envelope for .63 of 1.45 (International) without a problem.

I prefer to use ordinary stamps for mailing. If something is over $50. I will use certified mail or registered mail.

Never ever got anything lost using certified or registered mail since I started selling on eBay.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Your listings are target for scammers no matter how cheap they may sell (Sportscards & currency).

Sounds like you're not providing tracking numbers to the buyers. If not, that is part of the scam game. Sell cheap and ship cheap, the scammer will receive item and know you did not ship with tracking and file a claim. 

Might want to think about bulk listings similar items if it fits, local pick-up only / pay then, or adding a fee to cover tracking service.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ebay will never blame you for not shipping an item assuming you have tracking. I have never had a buyer not receive their package so I am not sure why you seem to be having so many.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I had this happening weekly for the first few months of 2023 when I returned to selling after years away.  The issue was new or disgruntled employees not scanning my outgoing envelopes.  

I filed an official complaint with my post office.  I spoke POLITELY to the boss and she said she would address it with her newer staff.  She also suggested putting a sign on the outgoing box that reads something like:

PREPAID SHIPPING LABELS PLEASE SCAN!!

I haven't had an issue in several months.  Before that, lots of issues.

As for the scammers who hope you don't have tracking info so they can get a refund this is my approach.

If, for some reason, the USPS doesn't scan and the buyer plays the "I never got it, can you supply me with the tracking game?"  I refund and block the buyer from any further contact.  I'd love to do something more unfriendly to them, but I can't figure out how within both EBAY and the LAW's parameter. 

Ebay is an okay place for selling.  Honestly, I wouldn't be here if the economy and Bidenflation weren't so awful.  I just need grocery money.  Using solely the EBay platform to make a good living would be extremely complicated after all the fees, taxes, and strange unexplained costs that randomly show up.  I'm sure some people with an advantage in scale are successful but when I sell an item for 30$ I see maybe 20-22$ after they get their taste.  There is no way to compete long term with 1/3 of my proceeds being snaked. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply