cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever had eBay cancel a sale AFTER you shipped a package?

I received the following message today after a buyer paid for a transaction and the package was shipped yesterday:

"We wanted to let you know that a bid or order for the listing below was canceled because of an issue with the buyer’s account:

We understand that this must be disappointing, but unfortunately the buyer, (XXXXX), is no longer registered on eBay so we had to cancel all of their open transactions."

Since the package has already been shipped and is on it's way, the only option they gave me was to intercept the package, but the fee is $17!!!

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Has anyone ever had eBay cancel a sale AFTER you shipped a package?

@zanmart 

I personally have never experienced it, but if the person paid you and the payment was legit, let it go it's route to them. 

Happy Selling

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I got same email from eBay on 7/6, so I never shipped, now buyer opened case saying "Item never arrived" and that they still wanted it but were now cancelling because I didnt respond to them... ??

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

@kimtkimt15 wrote:

I got same email from eBay on 7/6, so I never shipped, now buyer opened case saying "Item never arrived" and that they still wanted it but were now cancelling because I didnt respond to them... ??

Hmmm—If the buyer was truly unregistered by eBay, how is the buyer able to open a case? Did they go to their credit card company and open a chargeback?

The circumstance raises an ethical question: you now (ostensibly) have both the money from the item’s sale, and the item. If the buyer has been sanctioned, do you then refund them, or ship the item? (Have you verified the sale is bonafide?)

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Can you show us the message you actually received? I can't believe this situation. Why would Ebay tell a seller to intercept a package and have to eat the stop fee. There are holes in this situation. 

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

We wanted to let you know that a bid or order for the listing below was canceled because of an issue with the buyer’s account:
We understand that this must be disappointing, but unfortunately the buyer, (XXXXX), is no longer registered on eBay so we had to cancel all of their open transactions.

Here’s what you should do

• Don’t complete the sale or ship the item to (XXXX) if you haven’t done so yet.
  • Don’t communicate any further with (XXXX), especially if they get in touch with you outside of eBay. 
  • If (XXXX) requests a payment or refund, don’t send any money without contacting eBay first. If payment was processed, a refund has not been issued yet just in case you’ve already shipped the item.
  • If you already sent the item, contact the shipper to find out if you can stop the delivery and have the item returned to you.
  • If your listing has ended, you can relist your item.
Message 6 of 32
latest reply

To have ebay seller protection the item needs to show delivered to the address given with the payment.

If you intercept the package then you lose all  ebay protections from a chargeback.

This is why ebay wants you to intercept so they don't' have to honor their end of the protection.

I say let it ship. The buyer could be legit.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Yeah, don't worry about this. Don't file a package intercept unless it's something super valuable. I've received that exact same message numerous times, always after the item had already shipped. Usually nothing bad ever happens. Occasionally a chargeback gets opened on the transaction some time later for unauthorized use, but you'll be covered since you have tracking showing delivery. Just to be safe take a screenshot of the tracking results after it shows delivered.

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Thank you!

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Thank you so much!

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I've had this happen many times over the years I've been on Ebay.  In all the notifications I received, all items had been shipped and received by the buyers.  I had no problem at all with their payments and the buyers never filed a claim.

These happen during random security checks.  There is no way of knowing if there really was a problem or if Ebay saw something they didn't like and took action.  It really may or may not be a problem.  

I get a few of these a year and I've been selling for well over 20 years.  While the email is disturbing.  It is highly likely you are just fine.  Try not to worry about it.  😍

Judging from some of the responses, they haven't actually received one of these notices.  They are usually quite harmless.  I even had one that had not shipped yet.  Because of my experience with these notifications, I shipped the item.  The transaction went off without a hitch.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

If you intercept the package then you lose all ebay protections from a chargeback.

That seems fair, though.

Neither the seller nor the buyer should have both the payment and the product.

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

If you intercept the package then you lose all ebay protections from a chargeback.

That seems fair, though.

Neither the seller nor the buyer should have both the payment and the product.

Why would that happen when the OP has the email from Ebay telling them there is a problem with the transaction?

Not that I think the OP should do this as it is likely there is nothing wrong with the sale.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Was the message truly from eBay?

I ask because when I have received a few of these in the past, they come about 2 months after shipping and delivery. I never had a message that suggested that I intercept at my cost. 

Somehow / someway, some buyers can get on and buy without being confirmed / verified. This never happened when it was just eBay & Paypal! PayPal would tell a seller do not ship until we tell you it's okay. 

I would contact eBay and question why this happened if the message is truly from them. Why does this happen? Why do I have to pay for recall? What if I just let the package get delivered? Is eBay cancelling the payment?

Depending on the value of the item you sold, you may just want to let run its course? See what happens.

I would also suggest that you looks at the buyer's profile.  Where are they located? How long have they been a member? What does their feedback profile look like and I would Google Map the address and see what it looks like.

Best wishes!

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Don't do anything! I had this happen sometimes. The outcome will be: package might get returned to you or get to the buyer. And the purchase price will not be withdrawal from your account. Money has never gone back to eBay or the buyer in my situations.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply