cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone been overcharged by Paypal?

So I sold an item for $19.99 total, free shipping. My paypal fee came to $1.18. Is it not 2.9% and 30 cents?Because that should be 88 cents. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Has anyone been overcharged by Paypal?

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@bartermaniac wrote:

The Seller Protection address in Florida is what I meant. So if I'm to understand you correctly, this is the way an International buyer can get around my "not selling outside the U.S."  But Paypal goes ahead and charges me for an International sale although the item is plainly going to Florida.  Wow. There's always something new for sellers to learn here. 

No. If your buyer had a US Paypal account you would not have been charged a currency fee. I'm sure there are plenty of expats that buy from overseas with US Paypal accounts.

You were charged the fee because your buyer, irregardless of his location and where the item is being shipped, has a non-US Paypal account and paid with a currency other than USD.

It isn't related to the currency being used. A buyer with a UK PP account could pay using $US and the US seller would still pay the 4.4%.  Buyers always pay any currency conversion  fees.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@bartermaniac  hmmm, the $ 1.18 is more like 4.4% plus the 30 cents.  I know international sales are higher than US sales but not sure if that applies since you are based in the US ... was this a domestic or international sale?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac wrote:

So I sold an item for $19.99 total, free shipping. My paypal fee came to $1.18. Is it not 2.9% and 30 cents?Because that should be 88 cents. 

If it were $1.08, I would say it is a cross-border payment (which is charged 3.9%, not 2.9%). 

I have no idea why you would be charged $1.18. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It is a Seller Protection Florida address but it is unconfirmed. It also says "the sender of this payment is non-U.S. verified. " Both names and addresses are the same for buyer and receiver so I'm stumped.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac, @luckythewinner

Okay, I think I solved the mystery ... PayPal announced and implimented new rates earlier this year, went in to affect March-ish.  Pic below shows them.  Anyway, if your sale was international the pic below supports the 4.4% I came up with plus 30 cents to get to the $ 1.18.  Its funny I saw this thread because I was just reading one or a post about the different %s for different type sales.  Look down in the smaller print, they show 4.4% for International sales.  I also found in the PayPal Community, at least in the UK, there is a 1.18% adder for "cross boarder" sales on top of their 3.9%, but again that's the UK not here.  

Screenshot (773).png

Regards,
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac wrote:

It wasn't an overcharge. Your buyer is international. Using a florida reshipper. The fee for international payments is higher-4.4%.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac

@bartermaniac wrote:

It is a Seller Protection Florida address but it is unconfirmed. It also says "the sender of this payment is non-U.S. verified. " Both names and addresses are the same for buyer and receiver so I'm stumped.

I've never heard of te "Seller Protection Florida" term but the message that "sender of this payment is non-US Verified might lean towards an international buyer using a forwarding company here in the US ... I think both eBay & PayPal probably know the Buyer's PayPal account is registered in another country so they are technically making an international purchase just that the ship to is US.  I've had a few Buyers use Forwarding services but I never  bothered to check the PayPal Fee ... not much I can do about it anyway.  It might be worth posting on the PayPal Community complaining that true international purchases WITH an international ship to should be charged the extra % but International Purchases with US address should NOT.

Regards,
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@bartermaniac, @luckythewinner

Okay, I think I solved the mystery ... PayPal announced and implimented new rates earlier this year, went in to affect March-ish. 

Thanks! I had completely forgotten about the rate change for international.  

Bartermaniac, just so you know - this is a paypal fee and it has nothing to do with where you are shipping - it has to do with where the paypal account is registered. 

And 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

The Seller Protection address in Florida is what I meant. So if I'm to understand you correctly, this is the way an International buyer can get around my "not selling outside the U.S."  But Paypal goes ahead and charges me for an International sale although the item is plainly going to Florida.  Wow. There's always something new for sellers to learn here. 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac wrote:

No. If your buyer had a US Paypal account you would not have been charged a currency fee. I'm sure there are plenty of expats that buy from overseas with US Paypal accounts.

You were charged the fee because your buyer, irregardless of his location and where the item is being shipped, has a non-US Paypal account and paid with a currency other than USD.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac wrote:

There's always something changing, raising, policy updates...

It's defect, it's not a defect. INAD is better than out of stock, my head spins.. Smiley Frustrated

It's a miracle we can keep it straight & often it's a collective effort of sellers, sharing their knowledge right here on the boards, that save the sellers hiney! (And answer questions) 

CHEERS lol

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac wrote:

I think it's the charge for currency conversion.  Buyer does not have a US Paypal account.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@bartermaniac

@bartermaniac wrote:

Actually foreign Buyers use the forwarding company to accumulate a number of items before sending them overseas so save on shipping costs.  The UP side for US seller is tracking only goes to the Forwarding company and you are done.  If the item gest smashed, lost or stolen between Forwarder & Buyer its not your problem.  eBay has no issue with Buyers doing this by the way but yes, Sellers pay a little more in fees for this arrangement.  I think out of just over 1,000 sales maybe 4 or 5 were to foreign Buyers doing this.

Regards,
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

@bartermaniac wrote:

It isn't related to the currency being used. A buyer with a UK PP account could pay using $US and the US seller would still pay the 4.4%.  Buyers always pay any currency conversion  fees.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I've gotten a class action settlement from PayPal.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply