cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Reporting To Trust & Safety Ever Been Effective?

As I enter my 27th year (a dubious achievement, I know), I never cease to be amazed by the lack of effectiveness re: "Trust & Safety."  From sellers blatantly listing bootlegs and completely misleading titles to this latest case of a competitor offering an item as "New (other)" which not only has been opened - it has a missing component - I've never had any luck getting a listing removed.  I just received an email saying the latter's listing was kosher - and the case was determined by "AI."  On the other hand, I've had listings erroneously removed over the years, and had to "fight" to get them restored.  It all smacks of interference with commerce, and placing a handicap on an honest business.

Has anyone ever been successful in getting an egregious violator removed? 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Has Reporting To Trust & Safety Ever Been Effective?

I don't bother - I doubt eBay has the manpower to hunt down individual listings that sellers complain about, it never has.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Of all the listings I've reported, the only ones that have been removed are the ones that an agent actually looks at.

That AI can't seem to find anything wrong with listings that clearly violate some or many policies.

I reported a listing the other day that had the sellers email, phone number and a coupon they could use on their personal web site and gave the URL.

They were not selling anything here, just trying to get buyers to their web site and AI didn't find anything wrong with the listing.

Have a great day.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

As a competitor, your report may not carry as much weight as, say, a buyer who was disappointed by a purchase from that seller. If one report was all it took for a removal, dishonest users would have a field day. 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

You will never see a financial return on trying to police your competitors listings.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh wrote:

As a competitor, your report may not carry as much weight as, say, a buyer who was disappointed by a purchase from that seller. If one report was all it took for a removal, dishonest users would have a field day. 

You are correct.  When a competitor reports a listing, it does not get as much consideration unless others report it too.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

yes, I've had listings removed.........but was not a competitor.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

I doubt that eBay takes action based on a single report by a single seller, and I doubt that eBay reports back to a reported about the action they take. 

I suspect that a site with 1.5 billion listing has a "triage" system for policy violation reports, and that listings and sellers are prioritized based on the number of reports received and the type of violation reported.  

Thus there may be little correlation between any singe report and any action that might eventually be taken. 

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

I would never try to police  Ebay and waste my valuable time reporting others. When you focus on your own  business, you will be successful. Let eBay manage the site . 

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I have had success on a competitor's listing removal, but not for the OP's reason.

If a competitor uses one of the photos we took of our item on their listing, we are able to submit a VERO complaint form to VERO@ebay.com

The listing is usually removed within a few days.  Even though we're just taking iPhone pic's of our products in listings, we're covered under copywrite law and eBay enforces our rights here.  They're legally liable to.

You must be the owner of the photos to submit the VERO complaint.

Kim
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

EBay does have the manpower. I am speaking from direct experience of having a couple of listings removed because of an uneducated eBay staff member and not by an eBay BOT.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

No, but I have had the same done to me for no reason. It's a long story but I educated eBay CS and have won every time.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I hope I never get mugged in your presence.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

I doubt that eBay takes action based on a single report by a single seller, and I doubt that eBay reports back to a reported about the action they take. 

I suspect that a site with 1.5 billion listing has a "triage" system for policy violation reports, and that listings and sellers are prioritized based on the number of reports received and the type of violation reported.  

Thus there may be little correlation between any singe report and any action that might eventually be taken. 

You are correct.  The Ebay team that handles these reports rarely respond to just one report on a listing and especially if it is from a competitor.  The more members that report a listing [non competitors] the higher the review of the listing moves in the priority list.

Just to add, multiple reports by the same member whether competitor or not has no effect on the ranking of importance to review the listing.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin wrote:

EBay does have the manpower. I am speaking from direct experience of having a couple of listings removed because of an uneducated eBay staff member and not by an eBay BOT.

Here and there, sure. Speaking as someone who has reported egregious violations and finally gave up, usually not.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 18
latest reply