cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO GET READY FOR POST COVID 19 PERIOD

Dear E Bay Members,

We can see that COVID 19 Pandemic is still around us.

I just want to know how should we plan ourselves for Post Covid 19 period as active E Bay Sellers.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: HOW TO GET READY FOR POST COVID 19 PERIOD

@newyork_mall wrote:

I just want to know how should we plan ourselves for Post Covid 19 period as active E Bay Sellers.

IMHO sellers should plan to list profitable items that are high demand and short supply so that they sell easily and provide a good return. 

In fact, that is exactly what I would advise for sellers during Covid 19 as well. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

grumpus_otter
Thrill-Seeker

Since "post covid" is going to be several years down the road, I don't think there's any rush to prepare.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Thank you.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank You.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

My hope is that your question comes up sooner than I believe will be relevant, and I hope that I'm still here to answer it.

Best to everyone.

Stay well,

Grandma 

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I don't see it ending soon.   It's been 40 years and AIDS still has no vaccine.   I guess if you're selling masks, gloves, wipes, disinfectant and the like you'll need to diversify,  maybe to party supplies?  My sales have been pretty much an even during covid as pre-covid so no changes needed.   

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thanks.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

In the hospitals, they would blow up the gloves, paint faces and put a mask on them - great for party supplies!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

I think it is way too soon to try to get a handle on this.  Whatever happens on the other side of this pandemic, our lives are forever changed.  What the new normal will be IMHO is really going to be determined by the next 6 months.

So IMHO right now flexibility of sellers needs to be part of our business plans right now.  We need to be able to move and flow with the changes as they come the best we can.  Move at least some of our inventory into items that have consistently shown to sell during the pandemic that will still have a need on the other side of this.  Diversify more is a great thing to be doing now.  

Be fair and don't try to take advantage of the situation we find ourselves in right now.  We have a whole lot of new buyers out there right now that are still learning how to shop on the internet and they are learning they like it.  It is safer for them and often times easier.  

I doubt the malls will be crowded this year like holiday seasons of the past.  Certainly some people will get out there to shop, but many won't or can't take that risk, so they will be online shopping.  IMHO this is likely to be a very good holiday season for many of us.  Fingers Crossed.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Getting ready for the next pandemic would be a good start.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@newyork_mall wrote:

Dear E Bay Members,

Thank you.

Well, firs of all, there is not going to be a "post COVID" time, ever, at least not for those who are infected, whether with or without current symptoms. Scientific research points to a lasting presence of the virus in the body of those exposed to it. Similar to how, if you had the Chicken poxes, the Herpes zoster virus will remain with you for the rest of your life, SARS-COV2 also does. It may compromise the brain functions, or attack other functions of neurological nature, or organs as it pleases (liver, kidney, heart and lungs). But it won't fully go away, and at least presently, we know of no cure that completely eliminates it from the body of the host. While one may "recover" from a life-threatening condition caused by SARS-COV2, it does not mean that (a) one is no longer capable of infecting others, (b) one is immune for getting re-infected, or (c) that one cannot even die from the complications, a second time. 

But I guess your question is more about how to get prepared for the times when the casualties decrease in number, and life will return to more like the life we knew from earlier times. This is a hard question to answer, because each business is different, much depends on what you are selling, whom you perceive as your target audience and what the volume of your sales (or current sales goals) are. If I had to choose one thing that, as a long-time online seller, I have learned one the pandemic-related situation, then that is, people will more likely to buy things that are "essential"- clothing, food, medication, home improvement, etc. That said, for some reason, jewelry is a strong seller (albeit may not be here, on eBay, especially if vintage), almost everywhere online. Perhaps this has to do with a psychological explanation, that people so want to focus on something pretty and gratifying, in times of grief, suffering and anxiety. I am not sure, but that category has been my most successful, overall, online, and continues to be so. 

While I said, "jewelry" - I did not mean cheap knock-off, mass-produced low quality imports. I mean vintage and antique. A surprisingly large number of people would splurge out, especially as a holiday gift, for pretty things of high quality. 

Another front-runner seems to be high quality authentic brand-name handbags and apparel. Here the biggest challenge is to get into a contractual relationship with the manufacturer, and that is far more difficult to be said than done. It would also require a HUGE starting capital, because many of these manufacturers, when they finally agree to be your supplier, want a minimum amount of order to be placed by you. There are Police and Customs auctions which could lead to a whole pallet of items to be won, if you know where to participate in their auctions (a little research can help). Problem here is storage, so unless you live on at least 2 acres with 2-3 large Norton sheds and shelf-systems, it could be hard to keep the items handy (or too expensive, if you would need to rent storage space).

Best of luck

PW🐿

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

I suspect online purchases will remain higher than it did pre-pandemic, since people like the convenience.  Remember, previously online purchases had been only about 10% of all sales, so there is plenty of room to grow.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Half the country was nearly broke before this. Now they are desperate, hungry and facing homelessness. This will have a huge ripple effect on the other half.

We're close enough to retirement that we'll try to sell off our present inventory (we'll start combining single items into large lots, for example). If we continue selling as anything more than a relaxed hobby, we'll start looking into items that people need rather than collectibles. We'll also look into high-end luxury items because the wealthier buyers will be among the few who have disposable incomes.

But our days of having thousands of items for sale are slipping away. (We were up to 4400 items a few months ago, now down around 3700 - though that number will go up a bit for the Christmas season).

Good luck!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply