cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got my first experience as a seller with a paypal buyer claiming an unauthorized payment

Sold something on eBay on 5/1/17, buyer paid with paypal

I noticed the buyer name was Katherine F********* and the ship to name was John P****** but that isn't anything out of the norm as I have seen husbands / wives, Kids / Parents with paypal accounts tied together. 

But the address was confirmed and paypal had the flag "ok to ship" so everything seemed on the up and up.

I ship them the next day and tie fedex tracking with the account as I usually do. Package was delivered a few days later on 5/4/17.  Figured everything was good to go.

So here we are and it's 6/7/17, over a month later and I go to check my email this morning and see that I got one from paypal for an unauthorized chargeback??

Apparently Katherine F******** (or someone on the account) decided that they didn't make this charge and filed a reversal of payment.

So now my account is in the negative $147 and I am waiting on Paypal to review this case. I provided tracking already so there is nothing else "I need to do" at this time. Tracking showed it was delivered to that city / state.

I looked up the shipping address I sent this to through a property search and both Katherine F********** and John P*********  are shown to be legal residents at that address . She also shows up as having the same last name as John in some searches.

Best I can tell is maybe a **bleep** grandson used their account or heck maybe even John P****** used the account and decided to pull an unauthorized charge back to keep the stuff....who knows

But I get to see how much paypal protects the seller in these cases....I followed their guidelines so hopefully it works out. I def shipped to the address they said was "ok to ship to".

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Got my first experience as a seller with a paypal buyer claiming an unauthorized payment

I thought if tracking shows that item was delivered to the address on the paypal account that seller was covered.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

I hope so, that's the impression I got from reading the seller protection guidelines. This is the first time something like this has happened to me.

Went back and checked the initial email where I recieved the payment and the shipping address I shipped to was def confirmed.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Based on my experience if somebody’s PayPal account was hacked usually PP or PP account holder reacts immediately not a month later. After you sent the package did you email the buyer with the tracking number or Thank You note?

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

I thought if tracking shows that item was delivered to the address on the paypal account that seller was covered.

For unauthorized it doesn't even have to show delivered it just has to show shipped 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I didn't send the buyer tracking myself, I attached the tracking info to the buyer page in paypal where I got the payment from them.

Then in turn this attaches the tracking info to the eBay sale transaction details and send a courtesy email to the buyer through paypal that the package has shipped.

As a backup, I always attach the buyers email to the fedex tracking updates when I create the label. That way they get up to minute updates via email from fedex on package status (shipped, delievered, delayed etc).

So essentially they have three ways of getting tracking info from me on the package (eBay, fedex, and paypal).

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

If you call PayPal and show that you shipped to the address the buyer paid with PayPal should close out the case on their end.  The buyer might still get a refund but you are covered by seller protection and the refund won't come from you.  This is the easiest kind of case to win 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

Ask FedEx to provide you with a copy of the recipient’s signature and submit it to the PayPal Resolution Center.

Good luck

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

Had one of these a year or so ago on my wife's eBay.

Provided the tracking # just as you have, and all turned out well.

Money was held while PayPal did their thing, then released back in seller's favor.

Not sure if it was a case of trying to pull a fast one, other family member purchase, or just forgot what they bought.

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

@eurodesign4u wrote:

Ask FedEx to provide you with a copy of the recipient’s signature and submit it to the PayPal Resolution Center.

Good luck

Totally unnecessary 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

Thanks, Yeah I feel like this will work out in my favor too as everything on my end is on the up and up.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@eurodesign4u wrote:

Good luck

Totally unnecessary 

I actually didn't require a signature confirmation. I hate shipping with that option because if they buyer isn't home to recieve it it becomes an inconvience to them.

Last one I did like that took three days for them to sign for it and pick up at the hub. 

I was hoping that wouldn't come back to bite me and felt like shipping to a confirmed address was enough

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

Getting signature confirmation is only needed if the item was over 750. I didn't see anything you sold over that amount 

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

Getting signature confirmation is only needed if the item was over 750. I didn't see anything you sold over that amount 

Nah it was $147 shipped total 

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

All you have to do to win an unauthorized chargeback is submit the information that you shipped the item to the Paypal payment address. Upload the tracking number and its information into the case. Make sure to copy and paste the entire tracking history.  That's all you have to do.  I've had three of these over the past year. I add the pertinent information into my case response - even if it's already there - and within a week, each time, it's closed in my favor. Unauthorized chargebacks are the easiest cases for a seller to win.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 15 of 32
latest reply