cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got fleeced done with eBay

I recently sold an expensive espresso grinder on eBay.  Worked perfect, no issues once so ever.  The buyer had the most bogus reason ever for triggering a return request.   Of course the buyer did not respond to any of my requests for more details etc.   Eventually eBay issued a return label, fraudster, I mean buyer ships my $600 grinder back.  When I get it back it is DOA.  Upon further investigation it was clear the buyer harvested parts from the grinder so it will never work again.  

- I report to eBay and get told there is nothing they will do

- ebay refunds the buyer

- I just got my eBay invoice for the month and there is a $60 charge for commission on the item.   I call again and eBay refuses to back it out?

so not only is my $600 grinder a paper weight I lost $100 on shipping AND eBay is trying to charge me $60 commission?

i don’t know why anybody would EVER sell an expensive item EVER on eBay as sellers obviously don’t have ANY protection.   I am done, severed my paypal account and will close my eBay account as well.   eBay sucks,  their greed and garbage policies makes me wonder why anybody would use it to sell anything other than cheap Chinese goods.  

I am done and am now looking at how to deal with the buyer.  

Message 1 of 66
latest reply
65 REPLIES 65

Re: Got fleeced done with eBay

I just deleted several listings because I am terrified of this. So sorry that happened to you, OP. 

Pretty **bleep**. 

Message 46 of 66
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
No one has ever said a seller shouldn't pay return shipping on a true SNAD, but back when it was up to the seller and not mandatory it sure cut down on false returns when the buyer knew they'd have to pay return shipping.

OK, because you haven't read a post that says that doesn't mean that I haven't or someone else hasn't.  I make no claims that I've read every post or know what everyone thinks or knows about.  Is there something in particular you need or want me to say?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 47 of 66
latest reply

carbonart0 wrote:

So in other words, you're saying that in order to get Ebay to do the right thing, you have to get the police involved.  That sure makes Ebay look great!

@mam98031 

I never said that.  What I said and what others have said that in certain cases it helps.  

That's what you said alright.  You just don't like that you said it, because it happens to be an honest and accurate statement.

In certain cases it sure does help!  Like in cases where it's crystal clear that ebay is complicit in the crimes committed by scam buyers.  Getting the police involved is probably the only way to get Ebay to respond in these kinds of cases...cases involving complicit behavior from Ebay....

Message 48 of 66
latest reply

@carbonart0 wrote:

carbonart0 wrote:

So in other words, you're saying that in order to get Ebay to do the right thing, you have to get the police involved.  That sure makes Ebay look great!

@mam98031 

I never said that.  What I said and what others have said that in certain cases it helps.  

That's what you said alright.  You just don't like that you said it, because it happens to be an honest and accurate statement.

In certain cases it sure does help!  Like in cases where it's crystal clear that ebay is complicit in the crimes committed by scam buyers.  Getting the police involved is probably the only way to get Ebay to respond in these kinds of cases...cases involving complicit behavior from Ebay....

Post #38

What I said was as follows:

What others are trying to explain here is that contrary to your belief, Ebay does pay attention more when a police report is filed and there is a case number.  Whether it seems important to you doesn't matter.  What matters is can it help you with Ebay in certain cases and the answer is yes.  

Message 49 of 66
latest reply

Yes.  It can help in certain cases (cases where Ebay is complicit in the crimes committed by scam buyers) it sure can help!

This is why scam buyers can't receive negative feedback from their victims -  So the next seller can be victimized by these scam buyers.  Ebay doesn't want sellers to know if their buyers have been stealing from other sellers.  That is complicity in criminal behavior.

Message 50 of 66
latest reply

Been a while back but had a nice camera switched...absolutely no resolve....nothing I could do, she sent her broken one to me and it had her family photos in it....nice home....kids....then of course she wanted a refund too Smiley Mad but she forgot the delivery confirmationSmiley LOL....I'd be too afraid to set and wait for items of value to lands safely....I quit in September as the fee' s if you do sell are like a pay day loan, great something sells till you look at the fee's.....so glad to be done. She kept emailing to see if I got it lol....

Message 51 of 66
latest reply

After reading all these seller horror stories, I'm glad I quit buying and selling back in June when when they started hitting everybody with sales tax. That's what made me make my final decision to give it up.
Message 52 of 66
latest reply

Fortunately I have only fallen prey to a scammer on Ebay once and it reeked fortunately I learned a good lesson on that one. I even had another seller message me to warn me about the Buyer because they had issues with them. I don't know that there is any full proof ways to protect yourself as the Seller as when Ebay changed many of their policies regarding purchases, its almost a scammers paradise. To try and prevent being scammed, I don't do refunds anymore , I take as many pictures of my items and list any flaws that I see. I insure and track. The first sign of a problem Buyer, I call Ebay to report and to see how to proceed, that way its already documented. I have had scammers file cases, but fortunately they lost.I don't sell items like you did for fear of them doing that to me. Its sad that Ebay has become a hunting ground for scammers at the Sellers loss. Hopefully they will continue to review and revise their policies to make it an enjoyable experience again for Sellers. Good luck. 

Message 53 of 66
latest reply

From your lips to God's ears...  But don't hold your breath.

Message 54 of 66
latest reply

sooo many deadbeats you always look for the false positives !!!!

Message 55 of 66
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
No one has ever said a seller shouldn't pay return shipping on a true SNAD, but back when it was up to the seller and not mandatory it sure cut down on false returns when the buyer knew they'd have to pay return shipping.

OK, because you haven't read a post that says that doesn't mean that I haven't or someone else hasn't.  I make no claims that I've read every post or know what everyone thinks or knows about.  Is there something in particular you need or want me to say?

Nope. Just stop nitpicking every one of my posts. 

Thanks

Message 56 of 66
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@pink.fish.rule wrote:

Nope. Just stop nitpicking every one of my posts. 

Thanks

Who's doing what?  I believe it is the other way around.  Smiley Wink

Message 57 of 66
latest reply

Whatever you say.
Message 58 of 66
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Whatever you say.

Which is supported by the facts on this thread.  My post #3 was responded to by you in #34.

I responded in #35

You in number 45

I responded to you again in #47

And you again in #56 

So I think there is a fair bit of responsibility for both of us.

Message 59 of 66
latest reply

How can Ebay tell whether you are lying or the buyer is lying?

I'm not a seller here, but I've always thought that if eBay doesn't know, they shouldn't be involved in making those decisions... Period!
Message 60 of 66
latest reply