5594shelleys_0-1655140304696.jpeg

Courtesy of Limited Walls

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Flag Day (United States) June 14 Tuesday

thanks for the reminder! 

here is a little history of this special day:

The road to Findlay becoming designated Flag City, USA began in 1968 when John B. Cooke moved to Findlay. As a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, Cooke believed in the value of flying the American flag and went door-to-door in town asking residents and businesses alike to fly a flag on Flag Day, June 14, 1968. Cooke created a fund and purchased 14,000 small flags for the community. This project continued until 1974, when the Women’s Division of the Chamber of Commerce started a campaign to, once again, have flags fly and to have the city of Findlay become officially known as Flag City USA. On May 7, the House of Representatives passed a resolution officially declaring Findlay Flag City, USA. Today, you may see a flag display in the Hancock Historical Museum, see the Flag City monument welcoming visitors to our town at I-75 and US 224, pass under the Flag City, USA distinction while driving on I-75 and pass by the mural on a Marathon Petroleum storage tank. Findlay is a place of great pride; both in its unique designation and patriotism.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for the history. 😉

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

B5D1AFE3-8642-414D-B6D9-D5A0D4F7F2EA.jpeg

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

This American 🇺🇸 flag is so gigantic it took 6 people to raise it up on the flagpole for Memorial Day in RiversidePark New York City.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I am glad there is a day to pay homage to our patriotism.  When I was young and in school we covered our heart with our hand and faced the flag every single morning as we recited the "Pledge of Allegiance" .

To this day when I hear certain songs about patriotism I get teary eyed with pride.  God bless America

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Interesting, and it must be quite a show. 

Findlay is among several cities and places claiming distiction for remarkable displays of the flag,  at earlier dates, some preceding the official declaration of Flag Day.  Some are noted here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_Day_(United_States)

Flag Day has been an official holiday (though not a federally observed one) by Act of Congress since 1916.    🇺🇸

-

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

We the People,,,,,,,

I'm waiting for the flag Free the People

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@babsklassykloset wrote:

I am glad there is a day to pay homage to our patriotism.  When I was young and in school we covered our heart with our hand and faced the flag every single morning as we recited the "Pledge of Allegiance" ...

As did I, as a schoolchild.  And I'm so old I recited the pledge before "under God" was added to it, in 1954.

Now, there's an interesting story, since we're telling stories about the expression of patriotism:

The original pledge was written in 1851 by Francis Bellamy, who was a Baptist minister and the son of one. But Bellamy said that he wanted the pledge to be utterly inclusive, and so he kept it simple and absolutely non-sectarian.  No matter any of your other beliefs or ideas, you pledged allegiance to this "indivsible" nation.

George Dochtery, a Presbyterian minister, born in Glasgow in 1911 and an immigrant to the U.S. in 1950, campaigned to have the "under God" added to the pledge. His argument seemed wrong, to me and to my family, because he insisted that the "God save the Queen / King" phrases of his homeland demonstrated that God should be invoked in patriotic declarations.  He also made it explicitly the Chrsitian God for America, saying that, “If you deny the Christian ethic, you fall short of the American ideal of life.”   (Remember that Scotland and England both have official state religions, both Christian.)

Anyhow, this went over well with President Eisenhower and his administration, and as a a battle in the Cold War against the "Godless Commies," in 1954 the pledge was officially changed to include the phrase "under God." 

So I had to relearn the pledge, although I was never as comfortable with it.  And I know that to be true of many proud, loyal, and patriotic Americans who do not happen to have been born and raised in "the Christian ethic" and who continue to think that Mr. Bellamy had the right idea.

🇺🇸

-

Message 9 of 9
latest reply