cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time selling need help please

Alright, so I’m selling an Xbox one with 9 games and all the cords right and a brand new controller right. Someone bought it, 80$ + 13.12$ shipping + 6.90$ tax.

At the bottoms of the page it says 

What you earned:

order total: 100.2

eBay collected from buyer

sales tax: -6.90 

Selling costs

transaction fees: -13.65

ad standard fee: -11.30

Order earnings: 68.17

which is a number I’m cool with right. Than I go press “purchase shipping label” I go there, and it says it costs 27.79…. So my question is, does that 27.79 COME OUT of the 68.17? Because that’s a pretty **bleep** high number, so therefore is it pretty much telling me that  I’m only getting 40 **bleep** dollars for an entire Xbox, a brand new controller, all the cords, and 9 **bleep** games???? I look online and it says they’ll “only take 10-15%” but this is literally 50 **bleep** % like what the **bleep**? This has me mad as hell I’m not selling my **bleep** and canceling the order if that’s the case. I’d be better off going to GAME STOP.. do you know how pathetic it is that I would get more money from game stop?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: First time selling need help please

Just curious, why do you put the dollar sign after the number?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

@inhawaii 

The placement of the dollar sign ($) before or after the amount is a matter of convention and regional variation.

- In the United States, Canada, and Australia, it's common to write the dollar sign before the amount: $100
- In the United Kingdom, Ireland, and some other countries, it's common to write the dollar sign after the amount: 100$

Both are common.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

@ten_o_nine wrote:

@inhawaii 

The placement of the dollar sign ($) before or after the amount is a matter of convention and regional variation.

- In the United States, Canada, and Australia, it's common to write the dollar sign before the amount: $100
- In the United Kingdom, Ireland, and some other countries, it's common to write the dollar sign after the amount: 100$

Both are common.

I see so many posts here where the OPS  are registered in the US  yet putting the $ after the number.

It always makes me curious why.

Was wondering if that's how they're teaching it nowdays.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

@bigtarkybo 

Don't beat yourself up over it.  When you use calculated shipping, you have to put in the measurements of the parcel, and the weight for it to work correctly.  This may involve you having an appropriate box ready BEFORE you make the listing, have a postal scale, and some general packing material on hand.  Size is quite crucial, since anything "oversize" is going to bump up the price considerably.  

Have no fear though, eventually with a lot more experience, you may even be able to look at an item and just about "know" without being so prepared in advance.  Until that day, err on the side of caution. 

You probably need to go in and revise your current listings accordingly so this doesn't happen again.  I would stay away from promoting your items until you know more about it (see if you can turn them off) .  Always be cautious when eBay says something is good for you, easier, streamlined, set it they will take care of it.....LOL....  As a newbie they are likely to tell you the best plan would be to use the auction format and start your bidding at 99 cents.  Don't do it.  eBay will not be around when it costs more than what you got when you honor that 99 cent sale. 

Cancelling the sale because you don't like the price earns you a nasty defect on your account.  Just a few of those and you will be gone for good, never to sell again.  Read, learn, ask questions so you don't get fooled again!   It is a really good idea to visit these boards often to keep up the latest scams, so you don't fall victim in the name of good customer service. 

You can use this page for a lot of your questions.  If you don't find the answer, don't understand it, or are not sure, DO COME BACK HERE before you hit the eBay quick sand trail again!  

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Good luck! 

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Hey there! I just peeped your listiing and see you've likely under valued your shipping costs across all of your items based on the shipping displayed on your items. If you want to message me directly I can try to help you sort it out. I'm relatively new to eBay selling too and know there's a learning curve on getting your shipping estimations to where you're not losing money. It's a combination of packaging dimensions, weight, destination and shipping method. You don't have to offer a ton of options, but you need to get a single option right. And packaging can make a big difference. Even recently I had a potential buyer contact me to ask why one item's shipping was so high.  When I checked it out it , I was horrified to find that item was listed with almost $100 in shipping fees. I discovered that the box size I'd entered into the listing was making the shipping go off the charts. I changed the width of the box from 12 inches to 10 inches and boom! After that 2 inch adjustment - shipping went from $100+ to $8.83.  Also, how did you arrive at the $27.79 label price? Is this after packing and weighing the actual boxed Xbox?  Anyhow...DM me if you want some help.

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

Thank you I really appreciate that, I didn’t know that about the shipping, I just let it stay at the automatic price it sets it at, thank you for the advice that really means a lot I didn’t know any of that would factor in. Thank you for being nice as well

Most of us have made errors at one time or another while selling. I made my share as a rookie and things were less complicated back then. The first thing you should know as a seller is eBay is out for eBay and to maximize their value to their shareholders and nothing more. They will do everything possible to achieve that goal often at the expense of the seller and occasionally the buyer. 

Most of the eBay "suggestions" are an effort to do just that. For the most part the whole promoted listings initiative is a sham but it was a way for eBay to increase revenues without looking like the bad guy by doing an across the board FVF increase. There is NO WAY to actually prove that the use of PL helps increase sales although some swear by it.  You will see suggestions for starting auctions at $.99 and suggested starting prices for items you are listing which are often well below what like items are actually selling for either on eBay or elsewhere.  The latest is eBay's attempt to entice, quasi force, sellers to pass along shipping discounts to the buyers. If you receive that notification OPT out of it. 

Shipping can be the most daunting task to actually figure out. While I use USPS to ship most items there is a point at which UPS becomes a cheaper alternative. Usually this is do to the size of the package. While most of my items ship USPS Ground Advantage or Ground Advantage Cubic there are some things that I ship using USPS flat rate envelopes or boxes. I once sent 47 pounds of lead in a USPS medium flat rate box from Virginia to Colorado for $14.38. The next cheapest option was UPS ground at $59.62. 

I also have not purchased shipping labels through eBay for a LONG time. I utilize Pirate Ship which has about the same discounted rates as eBay, sometimes better and I purchase those labels with a cash back credit card which further drives down my shipping costs. I simply load up the tracking information into the order once I have purchased the label. 

You currently do not accept returns. You should be aware of what that actually means and it does NOT translate to no refunds. The buyer is protected by the MBG on all transactions. This forum can be your best source of information as a new seller but it is always best to ask the questions before you hit an issue. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy... 

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

@inhawaii 

I see so many posts here where the OPS  are registered in the US  yet putting the $ after the number.

It always makes me curious why.

--------------------------------------

In today's globalized world, migration is common. Every day, hundreds if not thousands of individuals leave their home countries in Europe to start a new life in the United States

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

Just curious, why do you put the dollar sign after the number?

@inhawaii 

Some write it as it is spoken.  @ten_o_nine gave you a solid explanation as well.  You alone always seem to be irritated by this.  Below is some desensitization therapy so you will get used to it and not be so offended over time: 

20$   230$   24.78$  15USD  27USD  32US   45.89US  87J  88J   $25J    (J is for Jamaican dollars, but that is part of the advanced course).   

Like you anyway. 

Message 23 of 26
latest reply

Tarky, I sold my first game in the fall of 1992 and have continued to this day. Dependent upon the titles of the games, your items were so lowly priced, in my opinion, you did not need to promote the package. That would have saved you $11+.

Only you can decide whether to proceed with the sale or cancel. As others have stated, with you being a new seller, your money will be held. Your current need must factor into your decision.

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

@inhawaii 

But at least they use the same **bleep**

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

You alone always seem to be irritated by this.  

Nah, not irritated, just curious.

curious george.gif

Message 26 of 26
latest reply