cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First ebay sale. Tracking shows delived/signed. Buyer claiming "item not received"

Hi, I recently had my first ebay sale, item was sold for $850 so it's not something I can just brush off and refund the money to avoid dealing with a claim or whatever ebay does for these situations if the buyer takes it to that extent.  As of right now, he just sent a request asking if I shipped the item because it says delivered, but he hasn't received it.  FedEx site/tracking shows delivered and signed, the signature FedEx has on file also shows the buyers name, I find it odd that he's claiming it wasn't delivered with all that proof.  I mean, what else could've happened?  Did the driver go to a different address and someone knew his name and or looked at the label and forged his signature?  Hopefully it's something that can be solved properly.

I sent a message back letting him know that it was shipped and delivered, that it required a signature, shows it was signed by him and I have proof of all this through FedEx.

Any help/advice on this situation is appreciated!

Message 1 of 46
latest reply
45 REPLIES 45

Re: First ebay sale. Tracking shows delived/signed. Buyer claiming "item not received"

@brianhowell38 wrote:

Looks like this is resolved, but 100% on FedEx, if they deliver to wrong address and have driver sign.  Delivery signature means to the buyer.  You can also ask buyer if OK to ship to FedEx center, where they must sign.  Very helpful if you take pictures of the item before packaging to show condition, or better, a movie.  Take pictures of the box and label.  Ebay is not helpful if you have scammer buyer.  

Pictures or a "movie" wont get you anything. It does not matter the condition of the item you ship it matters the condition of the item THEY RECEIVE.

Message 31 of 46
latest reply

Re: First ebay sale. Tracking shows delived/signed. Buyer claiming "item not received"

@mecca.19o4 wrote:
Well, here we go again. Buyer confirmed he received the item through our eBay case and it was closed on my favor, but now he opened a PayPal case today saying the same **bleep** about “not receiving the item”. You guys got any tips on handling this again with PP?

That's what I thought they would do. Reply with the same information and add a note that the buyer confirmed with eBay that they received the item.

Message 32 of 46
latest reply

Im fine with that. My items are insured. I’ll have evidence how it left and they’ll have evidence how it arrived. Shipper pays for damage.

My point is the item was shipped by me packaged to prevent damage and with all parts. It was returned by the Buyer without packaging, not protected and missing items. Even if the Buyer insured the item the shipper wont honor a claim when a fragile item is literally thrown in a cardboard box, unwrapped and unpadded. Shipper wont honor any claim for parts the Buyer didnt include. Ebay could have cared less. I received my item. Suitable to be thrown away. 

Message 33 of 46
latest reply

and he says it shows delivered, but hasn't received anything.

If it shows delivered, the seller is protected.

Message 34 of 46
latest reply

@mecca.19o4   Same as eBay, upload the tracking number to the case, call and get it closed. 

Not saying this buyer is a scammer, they may be a legitimate victim of porch pirates or bad FedEx driver.  So do send a polite email with tips on locating their package, including THEM contacting FedEx so the local driver can be contacted for info.   (More likely they are a scammer trying to rip off a new buyer, but benefit of the doubt and all).

Now, this buyer will likely next try a credit card chargeback which will be handled by Paypal.  Once again the tracking number will get it closed in your favor.   HOWEVER, USPS, FedEx and UPS don't keep their tracking available online for the full 180 days that Paypal allows a buyer to wait to make a claim.  Download screenshots of the tracking information and file it where you can find it for the next 6 months!

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 35 of 46
latest reply

Thanks for that info, I’ve got through with PayPal on a live chat as they didn’t have anyone available for phone due to COVID.  I’ve done the exact same as I did with the eBay case, uploaded tracking, responded to buyer giving suggestions on contacting FedEx etc.  He doesn’t respond, just like he didn’t on eBays case.  PayPal chat said if I want it closed that I need to escalate it so they can intervene since the buyer just opened communication with me to try and have a resolution between us.  I think I’ll escalate the case because I need my PayPal and can’t wait almost a month for this guy to just sit it out.

Message 36 of 46
latest reply

Sounds like you have a good handle on this issue. But I'll second that you should keep the tracking info handy in a computer folder. With the amoun of packages being shipped now it seems like the time the tracking remains avalable has gotten shorter. 

Message 37 of 46
latest reply

@lja440  USPS announced a while back that they shortened the length of time that tracking was available online.  At the same time they also removed the link to request copies of archived tracking.  The also announced an "premium tracking" paid service..... oh wait, that makes it about the money doesn't it?  LOLOLOL.

Message 38 of 46
latest reply

@lja440 wrote:
 Item value $850, and if they would have to refund that also would be $850. So loss would total $1700 not counting shipping if that wasn't included in the sellers posted total.

No. 

Before listing the item, the seller had an item worth $850 and no cash.

After losing the case, the seller would have had no item and no cash.

The difference between "before" and "after" is the loss of the $850 item plus the cost of shipping and fees.

The seller did not lose both the item and the money, because at no point was he entitled to possess both. He was only entitled to one or the other.

Message 39 of 46
latest reply

This package was shipped fedex. How long do they keep tracking history?
Message 40 of 46
latest reply

@joshua24fan wrote:
This package was shipped fedex. How long do they keep tracking history?

Hmmmm, I do not know.  Therefore, I would archive the history to CYA.

Message 41 of 46
latest reply

Sorry maybe I missed something along the way but did they claim item not received w eBay and then item not as described with PayPal??
Message 42 of 46
latest reply

No, both are “item not received”

Case is escalated now and I responded with all info and file/screenshot of a couple things. Hopefully they resolve it quick. Wish I could just get it handled on the phone right away like I did with eBay.
Message 43 of 46
latest reply

OP, have you contacted Fedex yourself?
Message 44 of 46
latest reply

I haven’t, I’ve only suggested the buyer to do so.
Message 45 of 46
latest reply