cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fine vs Fashion Jewelry "Policy Violations"

This is more of a rant than question. This month I've had ebay ending a few listings because of "Your listing didn't follow our Jewelry policy. Fine jewelry and fashion jewelry must be listed in the correct category."

There is someone at ebay who clearly doesn't know ANYTHING about jewelry and has changed jewelry policy for fine and fashion.  According to ebay "Fine jewelry is composed primarily of fine materials. To be listed in the Fine Jewelry category, both the metal and main stone must be made from fine materials. Secondary stones can include either fine or fashion materials
- Simulated gemstones are considered fashion materials, so items with a simulated main stone should be listed in Fashion Jewelry"

I'm not big seller but still have almost 200 listings and I am tired of looking to see if one of my listings is violating ebays definition of fashion jewelry.

Someone at ebay needs to be told fine jewelry is ANYTHING made of gold, platinum or sterling silver regardless of what gemstones are set in it!!! Fashion jewelry is costume jewelry that is gold filled, gold plated, gold or silver tone and it may even have a real gemstone or glass stone.

Buyers aren't stupid and are going to be confused when looking for fine jewelry especially if they are being specific and searching based on category. If buyers are looking in the specific category for example fine jewelry then sellers who technically have fine jewelry for sale are going to miss out on sales because their jewelry is in the fashion category.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

eBay policy is clear, you can't list simulated gemstones in the fine jewelry category.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Ebay may have their policy but it's technically wrong and confusing for anyone who knows anything jewelry. Fine jewelry is anything made of gold, platinum or sterling silver regardless of what gemstones are set in it. Fine jewelry can have precious, semi precious or lab created stones. Fashion jewelry is costume jewelry that is gold filled, gold plated, gold or silver tone and it may even have a real gemstone or glass stones. The metal used to make the jewelry is what makes it fine or just fashion jewelry.

Not to mention gemstones like onyx, aventurine, chalcedony are real gemstones not simulated and ebays policy has those stones listed as fashion.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I have the same problem with you. Today it came the first jewellery policy about fashion and fine jewellery. I have a lot of stuff in 14k gold with zirconia. Do I have to move them to fashion jewellery? Are we crazy?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

@fabvintagejewels wrote:

Ebay may have their policy but it's technically wrong and confusing for anyone who knows anything jewelry. Fine jewelry is anything made of gold, platinum or sterling silver regardless of what gemstones are set in it. Fine jewelry can have precious, semi precious or lab created stones. Fashion jewelry is costume jewelry that is gold filled, gold plated, gold or silver tone and it may even have a real gemstone or glass stones. The metal used to make the jewelry is what makes it fine or just fashion jewelry.

Not to mention gemstones like onyx, aventurine, chalcedony are real gemstones not simulated and ebays policy has those stones listed as fashion.

Here's the policy. You need to remember that this is ebay's sandbox and they make the rules.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/jewelry-policy?id=4280&st=3&pos=1&que...

Bold color is my doing for emphasis: 

What is considered Fine Jewelry?

Fine jewelry is composed primarily of fine materials.

To be listed in the Fine Jewelry category, both the metal and main stone must be made from fine materials. Secondary stones can include either fine or fashion materials.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Remember a lab created stone is real though man made, a simulant is something that is not what it looks like. Overall though I agree that ebay has this wrong.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@cp_elgreco 

See @albertabrightalberta alberta's post.  Yes, you would have to move it to fashion jewelry, because the metal and the main stone must be both fine jewelry materials.  CZ's are not fine jewelry. 

Happy Selling. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply