cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fees too High to Make Money - Need to Leave

I find I'm not really making any money at all at eBay anymore due to the high fees. The only option to try and fix this has been to hike my prices, way, way up, but then people don't buy my items. What are some other sites, besides eBay to sell at? eBay is no longer viable for me, as a seller, and I need to leave.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Do you really believe that eBay would allow anyone to post recommendations for other selling sites? Sorry--you will need to do your own research.

Best of luck to you wherever you land.  

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

I sell on other platforms too, but the fees are all structured very similarly to eBay. In addition, without eBay, my revenue would likely be 10% of what it is. eBay has the most buyers and traffic by far when compared to other similar platforms. 

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

We make money when we buy not when we sell.

Is it possible that you are paying too much for your products and therefore cannot make enough of a markup to be profitable?

We sell on hobby sites as well as here. Philatelic and local. I don't find AZ useful and their fees are skyhigh. Facebook Marketplace will start charging fees in June. Good place to buy, not so good to sell.

In passing.

We tend to tell people who sell clothing to put the size in the title and the measurements in the Description. You do this for your belts.

Why not do the same for the diapers? My first thought is that these are for the fetish market where price is less of an obstacle than anonymity.

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

eBay's fees just haven't increased that much.  Ten years ago, sellers who didn't have a Store subscription were paying 10% to eBay and 2.9% to PayPal, which is a total of 12.9%.  Now, in most categories it's 13.25% to eBay (and nothing to PayPal). That's an increase of 0.35%, or 35 cents for each $100 sold.

There are a few other increases, particularly the addition of sales tax which we pay a final value fee on; for a $100 item sold to a state with a 7% sales tax, that's another 13.25% of $7, or 93 cents.  And several media categories (including books, magazines, and most music) are up to 14.75%, but I don't see any of your listings were in those categories.  

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

It may be your overall business plan and not the platform.  Selling a single diaper for $12 plus first-class shipping at the price of Priority seems askew.   

For any business you have to spend money to make money.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

This is a daily discussion & you can go through the 1000's of threads to understand the frustration of most. Most of your listings are right under $15 plus you charge shipping. No matter what platform you use the fees will eat up a lot of your profit based on the fact that the fees are based on the product sale price + shipping + tax. The final profit for you is very minimal.  Most of the platforms have similar fees, they are just structured differently. You also have to take into account that the fees you are charged are tax deductible so in theory you will see that adjustment at the end of the year when you file your taxes. 

Sometimes, it is best to expand out and explore. I don't have time to manage 3 or 4 platforms, so I am comfortable with Ebay regardless of the huge buying swings we are seeing today. A sign of the times.

Lastly, we are in a downward economy so sellers, in most cases, are having to readjust pricing just to sell a product on these platforms due to the stiff competition. Good Luck out There.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

the constant line of folks saying fees have not increased is not true as I see it. PAY TO PLAY, frequently called promoted listings are frequently suggested over 10%, shipping has easily doubled since I started. Those are just starters. eBay general fees are not a lot higher, so what. 

The fact for me, some many, well just about all items I am interested in selling are dead to online distribution. The items that would sell well here for me are rare, in demand higher price items. There is no way I need eBays structure to sell them for a multitude of evident reasons.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

@friendly_lamar wrote:

I find I'm not really making any money at all at eBay anymore due to the high fees. The only option to try and fix this has been to hike my prices, way, way up, but then people don't buy my items.

IMHO that is an issue with your choice of inventory. A decade ago, the cost of selling on eBay was 12-16% of the item price + shipping. Fees have risen somewhat but not enough to eliminate items with healthy profit margins.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

The adult diaper industry ebbs but really flows.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

@friendly_lamar  on 7.13.2018 you stated:

... "For me, I'm raising the prices on all my items, to try and turn a profit." ...

and

... "I'll try selling on other sites like Craigslist and Amazon instead, and if I can't sell there, just donate the stuff to charity. eBay is such a scam for sellers. It's very sad how crooked this company has become and I think sooner rather than later it will cause a lot of problems for this site, as less and less users shop here." ...

So almost 5 years later, you are still on this 'scamming' 'crooked' site.

You are asking for other sites to sell on, but you already listed them on your 7.13.2018 post and said if not, you will donate to charity. You also stated back then that you would raise your prices.

So, what happened with all those ideas in the last 4+ years? It must have worked out for you to continue being here.

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

.... not to mention why do your adult diapers have juvenile themes like baby elephants and cartoon type characters.  Wouldn't most adults with incontinence want a plain style without decorations or something more dignified.   Or is it for a hinky market with adults that want to be babies?   EBay is more middle of the road normal everyday stuff.  They got rid of adult categories to keep it more family oriented.  

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Fees went up from 12.9% to 13.25%.

That's a .35% increase.

Just raise the price of your items by 1% and you'll be making .65% more money!

A item you normally sell for $100, just raise the price to $101.

That extra money will  more than cover the fee increase.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

@friendly_lamar 

Sorry to see you go.  Clothing is a very over saturated category.  There are other platforms for clothing that you can always research.  

Best of luck to you. 

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

Fees aren't too high. 

Your purchasing cost is. 

Message 15 of 36
latest reply