cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Charge Backs

For the past 2 months, we noticed that all of our FedEx shipments that were generated through eBay are coming back with Charge Backs, claiming weight adjustments or dimension adjustments. We know for a fact that our scale weights and dimensions are correct as we use calibrated scales and shipping specs are checked by another person prior to generating the labels. You might make a mistake on one shipment but not on every one!!!

The last charge back was $18 on a shipment that should have cost $20.93, making the final cost $39.30. Weight went up from our 10.4 LBS to 12LBS according to eBay/FedEx. If understand if their charge backs are correct, I went ahead and priced the same shipment to the same address directly at FedEx Office (retail price), using their claimed 12LBS charge back shipment weight. It was $10 less ($30.49). This tells me that either eBay's shipping system is screwed up and not calculating the correct amount when generating the label and/or eBay is marking up the charge backs for additional profits.

If you call eBay's shipping department to dispute those charge backs, good luck. It's waste of your time.

Did you guys experience similar issues? Any thoughts how we can correct this?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

FedEx Charge Backs

You are not the first one to post this issue, the same problem/issue exists with UPS and the additional unilateral charges. Some of the costs have been insane.  I almost never use FedEx or UPS when I purchase labels through eBay. If I need to ship something via one of those carriers I purchase the label directly from FedEx or UPS and have the weight, size and cost confirmed when I drop off at UPS or FedEx. 

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

I had a similar issue with a FedEx chargeback. I chased after Ebay for 3 weeks until I finally was transferred to the FedEx department and spoke to a manager. The manager refunded the charge. 

That along with some major delivery issues I have had to deal with, I no longer offer FedEx as an option. 

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

Fedex is notorious for adding seemingly phantom charges.  And this is coming from someone who first ran a shipping department in a large warehouse back in 1978 and has been involved with shipping and receiving ever since.   Alas, there is often little to be done to justify the time and stress needed to deal with the problem.  My solution is to send USPS unless the savings become significant and can cost average out over time and thus allow me to accept the risk.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

YES I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM PLUS THEY CHARGED MME TWICE FOR THE SAME  ITEM  AFTER I WENT THROUGH MY SHHIPPIING INVOICES IWENT TO UPS TO SEE WHAT THE FINAL WEIGHT WAS AND IIT WAS NO DIFFERENT THAN WHAT I SAID IT WEIIGHS TOLD EBAY THAT AND THAT'S BEEN THREE WEEKS AGO

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

Many "after the fact" surcharges can possibly be applied when using eBay FedEx/UPS labels.

The eBay calculator does not have the ability to determine what surcharges may be applied by the carrier.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

I have been lucky, but I also drop the shipments off at a FedEx Office location where they get weighed and scanned in.  The last one was a huge box, 50 inches across, so I wrote the dimensions right on the box.  So I watched for it to come through and it charged correct. 

I even had one that was like two ounces over and I never saw a surcharge on it.  I guess it's harder for them to claim it weighs more if it's been weighed on their own scale.  And I usually overestimate if possible.  

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

We use our own Fedex and UPS accounts to avoid these type of issues.  Rarely have a problem and if we do, they address it with us, as they are our accounts - not e-Bay's.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

Please don't refer to these as "chargebacks", there is enough misuse of that terms already, we don't need even more confusion.

These charges from FedEx (also UPS) are "supplemental charges" that the eBay calculators is not smart enough to figure out in advance.

Note that when you print a FedEx label through eBay there is a disclaimer that the fee quote given is only an estimate and additional charges may be applied.

If you want to (mostly) avoid this then get your own FedEx account, not only will you get more accurate quotes when printing a label you will actually be able to question any charges you feel are incorrect (something you can't really do when you piggyback on eBay's account). Depending on your volume you might even get better prices with your own account.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

I have had charge backs with both Fedex and UPS. I have even printed labels directly from their sites not eBay to see if this can be avoided, but it does not.

UPS deliveries are more reliable than USPS especially now through the holidays, but you will experience  charge backs.  When you read the fine print on UPS or Fedex sites they provide no concrete reasoning behind these charge backs.

Therefore, I only use UPS when I have a large fragile item to get better insurance coverage, and more dependable delivery time.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

I accounts with both Fedex and UPS surcharges billed to my account after shipment.

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

@usaequip 

This may help understand why shipping rates paid on eBay and assessed later by the carrier can be so different. 

Determining DIM weight. https://ir.ebaystatic.com/pictures/aw/shipping/DIM_Weight_client_R6.pdf

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

@usaequipYou have to deal with eBay to dispute the extra charges.  I had to do it once.  I forget if they actually credited me.  The support agent said I would be though.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

FedEx Charge Backs

@my_boston_baked_beans wrote:

I accounts with both Fedex and UPS surcharges billed to my account after shipment.

Yes of course but if you have your own account you can dispute any charge that is not legit. You would have a much better chance of a positive outcome, with eBay the odds are slim to none.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply