cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay says Cyber Monday was its biggest sales day ever

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-says-cyber-monday-biggest-223342273.html

Just read this.  We did so poorly the whole weekend.  On cyber monday, we did half of what we did last year.  Tuesday and Wednesday so far is not any good.  

How did you guys fare over the weekend.  I keep repeatedly hearing from many sellers who did not do well over the weekend.  So who brought in the sales for e-bay?  The chinese companies everyone complains about?  

Would love to hear how you guys did.   If the link above does not come thru.  it is on yahoo news on 11/28/17.    thanks.

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Poorly! Down 80% since October! Call eBay and express to them the drop! Supposedly they are sending in the complaints.
Message 2 of 57
latest reply

I have had a whole month of minimal sales. It seems ever since Ebay did the major changes I have been billed more and less sales. 

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

Must have been some other venue (no name mentioned) sure was not here did everything offered discounts up to 40% off have the Free Shipping on many listings opt in to the Guarantee Delivery which I think is gone to come back to bite us and also got promotions ad rate set higher than the average and as of now my sales for the month are off nearly 60% from last year by end of day most likely will go past the 60% so if they had banner sales it must be to the sellers that are getting there items to be viewed, wonder how many posts will show sellers showing up sales vs the complaints of low sales sure hope that December sales pick up, have been a faithful 100% Ebay only seller for years and this is the worst that I have seen just can not figure it out other than they are trying to phase out the smaller guys and if things continue  then I guess Ebay finally succeded in getting something correct

Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Good for them not for me.

Sold 1 item on this site on the 20th another one to repeat customer last night.

I'm on .ca you think you have problems. 

I should not even be on this board the new less than functional page that usurpt my landing page and won't let me use my book marks...

I figured out their new stratagey to get more coin.

Pay for search postion or don't waste your time.

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

The large anchor stores are being promoted (prices ridiculously over priced) and we small sellers are being fazed out. Very sad as many of us sellers have a lower priced and better condition item then the anchor stores. Why deny buyers the potential for a better deal?
Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Mind you I am far from an eBay cheerleader.....so, please do not paint me as such.  Nor am I bragging, as I would love to sell more and have some money comfort at the end of the month, but I have complained a few/many times about eBay and only write this as a balance.  Since November 4th, my sales have picked up dramatically and November has been one of the best months of this year.   I am NOT a big seller nor does eBay offered me anything in the way of promoting, free listings or any other advantage over another seller (that I am aware of).  I do think what is my saving grace on ANY particular month is the eclectiveness of the items I sell......  I am not niche in any particular category and I will purchase anything (and learn about it) to sell it for a profit.   In some ways, I have become an "encyclopedia" of pricing on many diverse items.   I cannot afford to buy items in bulk, although I have thought to be a distributor in some of the items I have sold (as of yet I have not found the time to follow-up to be a distributor).  

I am not sure what is the cause of the pain suffered by many sellers, I have been in their place several months this year.  I wish all better days, as I know what it's like to count on this money to put a roof over my head and food in my mouth!

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

I sold 3 items on Nov 24 and I item on Nov 28.  The whole month has been the pits.

disneyshopper
Volunteer Community Member

Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Cyber Monday was an average sales day for me.

Black Friday was about double my normal sales volume.

After a slow October, November has been pretty steady with normal sales volume.   Overall since Thanksgiving, sales have been no different than before Thanksgiving.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

I think on Cyber Monday there were a lot of online promos that outstrip eBay offers so the customers were elsewhere.  Overall November sales for me were double the anemic October sales.  I did some key word searches for items similar to mine (clothing) on Google and was pleased to see eBay come up in the top half of the first page of results.  Now to get to me, people have to click on the eBay results, then reorganize their search to get to used items or priced lowest first.  But the pick-up in traffic is welcome.  It may be that clothing is an early category to get this visibility.  Maybe more categories get visibility in the near future.   Try it for your items and note the keywords eBay is using and be sure they are the same in your listings.   I also have switched everything to 60 day refunds, shipping included.  My sales are up over last year in November so I have some hope.

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

We had a so so friday and saturday --- sunday or monday were not any better --- this is after thanksgiving day.  so last weekend was not so hot -- I heard the same for many sellers.  we have a lot of new items and reasonably priced.  then rest of the week was bad as well --- now this week end, we did ok on Friday due to a snowpants sales to overseas -- no buyers in US are buying anything big --- just t-shirts and lite jackets ----we don't expect to sell pre owned items this time of the year ---- we did sell few new items but sales are way low compared to last year.  

I don't have a lot of hope for December so I am already starting to think how to price our ski/snowboard stuff for January --- we had 5 returns open this week -- the past one --- from sales from last two weeks of november -- 2 or 3 of those are pretend sales where buyer borrows and return item after wearing it --- what a shame --- we are out of original shipping - free shipping -- and all the efforts and e-mail time and all other efforts that came with shipping the item.  One buyer even returned a $150 snow suit in unprotected banker's box --- has all kinds of sign of wear - box literally falling apart --- claims it did not fit --- what a joke --- these fraudulent buyers take us for a ride with e-bay's full protection.  It is so sad that I am so heart broken for the seller I work for.  He works so hard and these buyers are so irresponsible and they see a return policy and never bother to read measures even after I asking them --- then claim 'it does not fit' --- ok that is our great holiday week story --- I already wrote off December since we will be refunding $350 dollars for those 5 returns.

Best wishes to you guys.  Well, e-bay how much of your total holiday weekend sales are on the way back to sellers?   I really would like to know.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

I'm doing quite well myself. I'm up 62.3% from a month ago and 93.9% better from a year ago. Cyber Monday was above average for me, but nothing special. Although I have an anchor store, I was a small seller like everybody else on here at first. It takes a lot of time, commitment, and planning to get to where I'm at. I spend somewhere around 2-4 hours everyday, 14-28 hours a week, doing something ebay related like listing, answering questions, pictures, sorting thru items, shipping, and researching.

There are ways to get more exposure for your items, if you know how to get it. If you don't know how to get more exposure, do some researching on that. Having a good business plan is the key to success. I see a lot of people trying to copy the way I sell stuff on Ebay all the time. They usually don't succeed cause they don't know my entire business plan. People will only see about 50% of my business tactics which is visible on Ebay while another 50% isn't visible to anybody other than me. Even my best friend is trying to copy me. He knew most of my business tactics, but even that wasn't enough to help him. My advise, it's better to come up with your own business plan instead of copying from somebody else.

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

Stunned.

Need to sell things, we have so much still.

Sales this year have been steady. 

And there have been times we have not out many new items up for weeks. 

Selling on eBay is hard, it's difficult to get motivated.

we have stopped buying new stock for the most part, trying to list and move what we have.

of course, this slows sales somewhat, and makes for smaller dollar sales, because we (probably everyone) always list the winners, the most likely go sell first.

But, even with steadily adding new items, we have not had a sale in over a week.

Some vintage items we had multiples of aren't moving.

Had a pretty good pickup in October, we were counting on some extra for the xmas season, not lesss.

Just can't figure out what's up. 

Need a couple if sales just to keep spirits up & keep listing.

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

LlStunned.

Need to sell things, we have so much still.

Sales this year have been steady. 

And there have been times we have not out many new items up for weeks. 

Selling on eBay is hard, it's difficult to get motivated.

we have stopped buying new stock for the most part, trying to list and move what we have.

of course, this slows sales somewhat, and makes for smaller dollar sales, because we (probably everyone) always list the winners, the most likely go sell first.

But, even with steadily adding new items, we have not had a sale in over a week.

Some vintage items we had multiples of aren't moving.

Had a pretty good pickup in October, we were counting on some extra for the xmas season, not lesss.

Just can't figure out what's up. 

Need a couple if sales just to keep spirits up & keep listing.

Message 14 of 57
latest reply

Very slow, have been here since 2006 and never had such a slow November and start to December. I quit counting on 4th quarter in September this year when views / impressions dropped like a rock, I had a feeling it wasn't going to improve for my store.  I've never really had great expectations, but sales had always picked up, not slowed this time of year. I'm thinking about putting my store on vacation, I won't be missing out on much and can avoid the returns. 

Message 15 of 57
latest reply