cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Policies and Treatment of Sellers is designed to eliminate them at any time they want

All of the recent/latest changes to sellers on this site towards sellers are negative.

Ebay is becoming more and more unnecessarily adversarial and punitive towards sellers.  The latest changes will be dinging a sellers account for things totally beyond the sellers control.  Unlike Amazon who has now changed to  allow feedback for the seller, and separate feedback for the delivery experience.  Further, buyers writing provably false statements in their feedback do not make the short list of reasons ebay would remove that feedback.  Buyers provably lying in feedback is an acceptable thing for ebay, they are 100% ok with it. They have very much restricted seller support, we can't trust what we are told when we experience problems.  They lose transcripts and records of prior conversations of problem issues.

Yet ebay tries to pass off they care about sellers and want better relationships and are working to make ebay a better place for sellers.  Their actions do not match the words.

All of these changes are being put in place to provide ebay more and more metrics they can point to, in order to plausibly justify getting rid of a seller any time they want.  Also to make it easier to drop them to lower seller levels where higher fees and less ability to sell will impact a seller, with the hopes that if they stay, they will make more off them on whatever they still can sell, or that the seller just decides to self-remove themselves from the site, saving ebay the trouble.

You may ask why would they do this?  How do they benefit?  You can ask that question for any of the latest adversarial and punitive changes they are implementing against sellers.  I say its because this is the way they want to handle things with sellers.  Its because they are going more and more anti-seller.  That's why they are doing this.  How do they benefit to any of the negative anti-seller policies they are putting in place?  They are just as irrational as my proposal above.

Ebay has decided to funnel blame and negative consequences, no matter where they come from, squarely onto sellers.  Buyers lie about item problems, seller takes the hit.  Carriers deliver late or lose the package, seller takes the hit.  Ebays vero list doesnt have a company on it seller has no clue about, seller takes a hit.  Ebay provides bad or incorrect information to the seller and the seller follows that information, it doesn't go the way sellers expects based on what ebay told them, ebay customer service doesn't take the hit, the seller takes the hit.

This is what ebay is doing.  Anything going wrong on the site with orders, the standing ebay policy is "the seller takes the hit."

We all know and see this is what is going on.  Unnecessarily adversarial, and punitive, towards sellers.  This is driven from leadership.  It won't change until leadership changes.

Message 1 of 75
latest reply
74 REPLIES 74

Re: Ebay's Policies and Treatment of Sellers is designed to eliminate them at any time they want

@bryo_3145 ,

I couldn't agree more

Message 61 of 75
latest reply

Re: Ebay's Policies and Treatment of Sellers is designed to eliminate them at any time they want

@gamersbaystore wrote:

How can ebay pull the information from the carrier if they dont know when the item is going to be shipped? There should be no estimated delivery date until an item is actually scanned in at the post office; ebay is intentionally lying to buyers otherwise.

Unlike ebay, Mercari actually exercises common sense and doesn't provide buyers with a delivery estimate until the item is actually scanned at the post office.

The estimates ebay gives buyers do NOT account for sellers handling times, a rep recently clarified that in chat, and I can see it with my own orders. This is part of the reason the estimates are always wrong.

I have a 3 day handling time for most my items. If I were to ship any later than within 24 hours, every last order would arrive late.

The reality is ebay is lying to buyers as well as misleading sellers. What is the point of having a handling time that ebay refuses to acknowledge?

Likewise, on the page to purchase shipping labels, ebay asks you what day you plan to ship on, and even if I were to select 2 or 3 days, ebay will still give the buyer an estimate that coincides with same day handling.

Another issue is ebay not updating the estimated shipping dates to coincide with the postal service changes in delivery estimates. USPS typically updates tracking any time a delivery is going to arrive late, ebay does not follow suit.

Because the USPS expects a person to ship when labels are printed, thats when the label hits their systems.  I dont print labels until I am ready to ship.  If a seller gets a sale and prints labels in advance of packaging a day, two days, three days how is the software to know that?  In as far as its concerned the USPS has tracking submitted awaiting the package.  If I print labels three days in advance I am screwing the system up, that simple.  Mercari does not release a red cent until delivery is confirmed is that what you suggest eBay do?  Hold off all payments until delivered?  That's how Onsale worked unless one had one's own merchant account, was extremely effective.

The USPS does not perform scans at every point depending on volume and atop that freighting has UPS, FedEx and others in the fray who courier subcontract for the USPS .  A delivery "Estimate" is an "Estimate" not a static date, it's buyers that dont understand that.  Yet, I can count on one hand how many times I've had buyers itchy scratchy about delivery time and I've a three day handling in general.

Message 62 of 75
latest reply

@kabilab ,

That's what I've been trying point out?

Message 63 of 75
latest reply

@retro_entertainment_collectibles wrote:

@gamersbaystore wrote:

How can ebay pull the information from the carrier if they dont know when the item is going to be shipped? There should be no estimated delivery date until an item is actually scanned in at the post office; ebay is intentionally lying to buyers otherwise.

Unlike ebay, Mercari actually exercises common sense and doesn't provide buyers with a delivery estimate until the item is actually scanned at the post office.

The estimates ebay gives buyers do NOT account for sellers handling times, a rep recently clarified that in chat, and I can see it with my own orders. This is part of the reason the estimates are always wrong.

I have a 3 day handling time for most my items. If I were to ship any later than within 24 hours, every last order would arrive late.

The reality is ebay is lying to buyers as well as misleading sellers. What is the point of having a handling time that ebay refuses to acknowledge?

Likewise, on the page to purchase shipping labels, ebay asks you what day you plan to ship on, and even if I were to select 2 or 3 days, ebay will still give the buyer an estimate that coincides with same day handling.

Another issue is ebay not updating the estimated shipping dates to coincide with the postal service changes in delivery estimates. USPS typically updates tracking any time a delivery is going to arrive late, ebay does not follow suit.

Because the USPS expects a person to ship when labels are printed, thats when the label hits their systems.  I dont print labels until I am ready to ship.  If a seller gets a sale and prints labels in advance of packaging a day, two days, three days how is the software to know that?  In as far as its concerned the USPS has tracking submitted awaiting the package.  If I print labels three days in advance I am screwing the system up, that simple.  Mercari does not release a red cent until delivery is confirmed is that what you suggest eBay do?  Hold off all payments until delivered?  That's how Onsale worked unless one had one's own merchant account, was extremely effective.

The USPS does not perform scans at every point depending on volume and atop that freighting has UPS, FedEx and others in the fray who courier subcontract for the USPS .  A delivery "Estimate" is an "Estimate" not a static date, it's buyers that dont understand that.  Yet, I can count on one hand how many times I've had buyers itchy scratchy about delivery time and I've a three day handling in general.

Of additional note, cant walk into the USPS with a package, have them print the label and walk out with the package...  They'll void the label, obvious reasons.

In respect to Mercari not sure how backend works.  In card processing there is a mechanism called pre-authorization.  Charge takes place, funds a reserved but will not be released for Automated Clearing House (ACH) transfer until authorized do so.

Message 64 of 75
latest reply

There's no excuse for ebay ignoring sellers handling times, it should be reflected in the estimates provided to buyers.

Like I stated before, a simple solution is to not provide a delivery estimate at all until the package is actually in the hands of the postal service.

Message 65 of 75
latest reply

@gamersbaystore 

Here again, it is an ETA [estimated time of arrival].  Ebay uses the sellers stated handling time on the listing plus the carriers ETA from the method of shipment the seller has set up on the listing.  Most times they aren't far off from what actually happens.  Some just keep wanting to replace the word Estimated with Guaranteed.  The two are not the same obviously.  I personally don't have a problem with it as it is correct most times.

IDK what is going on with your ETAs on your listings.  IDK if you are looking at the ETAs based on your zip code or your buyers, which makes a BIG difference many times.  Unless you change the zip code on the Shipping page, when you view the listing, you see the ETA for your zip code on your account.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 66 of 75
latest reply

"The issues we see with shipping could be easily fixed, but the reality is ebay does not care. ebay wants all your deliveries to be late so they can charge you inflated fees."  Utter nonsense.  If this were true, most sellers would be in the Below Standard on their evals and that simply is not true.  If you have some info on the contrary, please let us know.  

The lawsuit would go nowhere, but it would be your right to file it.  Specifically what law would they be breaking?

Message 67 of 75
latest reply

Don't assume that just because someone is discussing a problem, that means that they are talking about themselves personally.  I discuss many topics and issues and concerns that have not specifically occurred to myself, but I talk about them because as a seller here, they CAN happen to me.  And that is also why many people here are also interested in the discussion and topics, because they also realize these are things they are not immune from.  Especially if its a policy change type of thing, it most likely will impact me at some point.

Message 68 of 75
latest reply

Agree. Recently we have had a lot of issues. (We are a Seller of 23 Years 110,000+ Stars) 

No History of any bad issues. 

No assistance with Concierge anymore to remove feedback or defects. (From higher up)

Buyers lying in feedbacks not removing 

Damaged Returns (Cases closed against us and used against our defects) 

Increased Fee's 

Top-Rated Seller Discounts going

I feel eBay are purposely trying to get my Top-Rated Seller Status Lower to get higher fees

We've paid just over £385,000 in fee's in our 23 Years, and I just look at it now as I am just working for eBay. On average my fee's are at 33% (As most my items are £9-£19) 10-13% Fees. Then 10% Ad Fees then another 30p final value.

They are cutting back on what Top-Rated seller discounts are it's just too much. When I look at the £500+ a month I pay for Anchor + £1,000 on AD Fees it just makes me think id much rather put the money into Google Ads and push my website. 

This is how I feel as a Seller of 23 Years paying £20k + a year on fee's. I cant imagine now small business on here are getting treated. 

Some of the staff are amazing in Concierge but the decisions being made higher up are awful and I don't enjoy selling on here anymore. In the New Year I will be making a decision if I want to continue on here or not.

iPosters - the cats whiskers for quality & service!
Message 69 of 75
latest reply

Yes Ebay has eliminated the Concierge program again and no longer allows sellers of certain sizes to get negative FB [a certain number per 90 day period] removed without a policy breach.  

For feedback or defects you need to have removed, you can still do it if they break policy but you have to contact Ebay.  So you can still do it, it just may take more time and there must be a reason for the removal that is within the Ebay rules.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 70 of 75
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

There's no excuse for ebay ignoring sellers handling times, it should be reflected in the estimates provided to buyers.

Like I stated before, a simple solution is to not provide a delivery estimate at all until the package is actually in the hands of the postal service.

What if the seller never drops the package off?

When would the buyer file an INR?

Have a great day.
Message 71 of 75
latest reply

""What really blows me away is how members here (and I am one of them) are pretty much the best eBay customer service they could get, and it's all FREEEEEEE for eBay, makes me giggle at times, but here I am.

My pet hate is seller's getting dinged for INAD's when we all know how some buyers will do anything to avoid that return shipping fee.""

EXACTLY ! I had one just last week. 

Message 72 of 75
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

Yes Ebay has eliminated the Concierge program again and no longer allows sellers of certain sizes to get negative FB [a certain number per 90 day period] removed without a policy breach.  

FYI eBay has not totally eliminated Concierge service for all it's sellers. All 3 of my selling accounts still receive Concierge service. My main account sells roughly 600k a year so that one I understand. But, I recently just started reselling on this account this past September so that I could test out eBay's new EIS ( Ebay International Shipping) service. This account has not sold anything since 2020 and it still receives Concierge service, which does surprise me. I called just the other day using this account and was still put through to Concierge..... but maybe that will end soon who knows?

20231228_211229333.jpeg

20231228_210953382.jpeg

Message 73 of 75
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Honestly, I wonder at these people who build whole big businesses on here with warehouse, employees, etc. Talk about building houses on sand.

There are very, very few of those.
Most sellers who speak of "their warehouse" are either companies that existed outside of ebay and ebay is simply another venue for them to sell their inventory but they have done without and can do so again, and dropshippers who really have no stake in it and are blowing smoke in an effort to bamboozle the buyer into submission.
In most cases, those sellers who speak of some issue at their warehouse and would like to see if the buyer would prefer if they cancel the order as it will take weeks before it can be shipped? Those are most likely dropshippers who ran "out of stock" because they have no direct control over that, and are now manipulating the buyer into asking for a cancel so they can do so for reason "buyer asked" and they have now avoided the defect AND the buyer can't leave feedback either.

See, there is no shortage of sellers gaming the system here either.

Message 74 of 75
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Honestly, I wonder at these people who build whole big businesses on here with warehouse, employees, etc. Talk about building houses on sand.

There are very, very few of those.
Most sellers who speak of "their warehouse" are either companies that existed outside of ebay and ebay is simply another venue for them to sell their inventory but they have done without and can do so again, and dropshippers who really have no stake in it and are blowing smoke in an effort to bamboozle the buyer into submission.
In most cases, those sellers who speak of some issue at their warehouse and would like to see if the buyer would prefer if they cancel the order as it will take weeks before it can be shipped? Those are most likely dropshippers who ran "out of stock" because they have no direct control over that, and are now manipulating the buyer into asking for a cancel so they can do so for reason "buyer asked" and they have now avoided the defect AND the buyer can't leave feedback either.

See, there is no shortage of sellers gaming the system here either.

Is that a guess or do you have some stats to share regarding number of larger sellers with warehouses & employees?

I drop shipped for years quite successfully as did some other sellers I know.  None of us every claimed to have a warehouse.  Maybe some sellers did, but not likely most that drop ship.  Or do you have some numbers on this as well?

Successful drop shippers do not take weeks to ship.  While I know some sellers that drop shipped have done that, they typically don't last selling for long.

While you are correct, sellers that drop ship have no control over their wholesalers stock, but many wholesalers actually issue exception reports to their sellers that drop ship.  Mine always did.  On a daily basis I reviewed those reports for what came into stock, what was out of stock and price changes.  It was a lot of work, but I did it every single day as do other sellers.  I drop shipped for about 5+ years.  In all that time I only refunded a buyer once for an OOS item.

Not all sellers that drop ship are trying to "game" the system.  Some are sellers with great stats and they take the whole process seriously.

Message 75 of 75
latest reply