cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay randomly showing seller's listings to different areas of USA.

As an owner of 2 Ebay stores this process irritates me greatly. Store owners pay fees regular sellers don't. There is no way that a seller would know that Ebay does this when they agree to Ebay's rules. When I began selling over 25 years ago this did not occur. Ebay just decides what to do without informing the sellers. After being loyal to Ebay for so long I feel cheated and stabbed in the back.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

I'm confused. 🤔

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

They have been doing this for 15 years or so....I don't always agree with it either, however it does make some sense for a seller. With millions of sellers selling similar items how do you not have 100 pages of the same item where yours gets buried? The concept of rolling visibility allows more people to be near the top of the pages...but only for certain buyers. It rolls to different areas every few days from what I can determine. If you are selling items where there are few of them, this does not always apply and your items will be seen to all. It mostly happens in crowded markets but to my knowledge, Ebay has never revealed the entire process for the search algorithm.

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Store owners pay fees regular sellers don't.

I don't have a Store.....I pay plenty of eBay fees, what am I missing?

Ebay randomly showing seller's listings to different areas of USA

What evidence do you have that eBay only shows your listings to some buyers and that they only show them to buyers in different areas they decide on?

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

yes we all pay fees but store owners pay to have a store while sellers are able to get 250 listings without paying extra fees .Ebay has been doing this for 15 years or so....I don't always agree with it either, however it does make some sense for a seller. With millions of sellers selling similar items how do you not have 100 pages of the same item where yours gets buried? The concept of rolling visibility allows more people to be near the top of the pages...but only for certain buyers. It rolls to different areas every few days from what I can determine. If you are selling items where there are few of them, this does not always apply and your items will be seen to all. It mostly happens in crowded markets but to my knowledge, Ebay has never revealed the entire process for the search algorithm.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

As an owner of 2 Ebay stores this process irritates me greatly.

What irritates you, some unproven theory that you have?

There is no way that a seller would know that Ebay does this when they agree to Ebay's rules.

I totally agree with you. There is no way for a seller to know that ebay does this.

When I began selling over 25 years ago this did not occur.

It still doesn't ... but that's just my theory.

After being loyal to Ebay for so long I feel cheated and stabbed in the back.

If you feel cheated and stabbed in the back, you do have options.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 36
latest reply

@ryanrobyn 

Store owners pay fees regular sellers don't.

---------------------------------------------------------

True, store owners pay additional fees, these fees provide access to advanced features and tools that help you manage and grow your business.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Posted twice on the internet. It is now fact 🙂

anyway.............. seems that I have read that somewhere eBay states that not all listings may be viewable in all areas at all times. Seems I have seen it as a "copy & paste" more than once. 

Happen, doesn't happen, how extensive? Dunno

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

Sure! It makes sense. That accounts for the days you dont get business. Then they give you a sudden burst of business to keep the sellers still interested. And then it slows down again. The pattern is obvious. 

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

It rolls to different areas every few days from what I can determine.

How did you determine that?

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

It sounds.like.its time to go like so many of us . 

Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@robbie31415 wrote:

I'm confused. 🤔

Same. Does it really matter where a sale comes from? A sale is a sale. I don't care if I'm shipping to CA or MI or LA or Puerto Rico.

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

Have you never read  ebay policy????

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behaviour-policies/user-agreement?id=4259

If we believe you are violating this User Agreement or any of our policies, or abusing eBay and/or our Services in any way, we may, in our sole discretion and without limiting other remedies, limit, suspend, or terminate your user account(s) and access to our Services, delay or remove hosted content, remove any special status associated with your account(s), remove, not display, and/or demote listings, reduce or eliminate any discounts, and take technical and/or legal steps to prevent you from using our Services. We may offer a process allowing users to report claimed violations for us to consider and handle through one or more of these options, all in our sole discretion.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 13 of 36
latest reply

Store subscribers get 1000+ listings for their $25 a month, as well as a slightly lower selling fee and a quarterly coupon for branded shipping supplies.

We also get promotional Free Listings. My Stores have for some months had over 10,000 available Free Listings, should I ever want them.

And we can organize our listings into our own categories, which I think of as the aisles in my Store.

I agree that visibility moves around.

My 'proof', such as it is, is based on the agreed fact that if we get sales, we get more visibility and thus more sales.

Recently another slowish Store has had a rush of sewing pattern sales, which have been in the doldrums since before Christmas.

And both in that Store and in this one, when I get a run of sales, they also tend to be in the same parts of the USA or even of the world.

Many years ago, I sold two stamps, two weeks apart, to two different cities in Liechtenstein. Never a sale there before, never one since. I believe the first sales led to visibility in Liechtenstein and another sale there.

Flimsy evidence, but memorable.

Normally about 80% of my sales on this account go to the USA, but this past month more than half have been to Canada (I am in Canada).  Again, I believe that those Canadian sales from listings on dotCOM led to more visibility to Canadian buyers.

But as @yuzuha says. A sale is a sale. As long as I'm being seen where the people and the money are, I don't care how my listings rotate.

Message 14 of 36
latest reply

If I recall correctly, Ebay admitted it....I think it was due to some court case possibly. That was several years ago and i thought everyone just knew and accepted it now. I will have to try doing some research to see where that came from. I think it is pretty obvious they do that though if you sell a lot here. One week I have 5-6 sales in the NE....the next 5-6 in Texas.....then California... you can see it rolling in your sales usually.

Message 15 of 36
latest reply