cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay product catalog thread locked - continuation.

Well, they locked the ebay product catalog thread, but I'm sure that there was still more to say.

One thing I noticed - he said they check GS1 to see if it is a valid UPC. GS1 can only tell you if a certain block belongs to a certain manufacturer, and the range. They have no clue as to what the UPC is acually for, unless a manufacturer uses them for their catalog. Most don't. In over 20 years of sending UPC's to various catalogs so that major retailers can download them, I've never ran across one who uses that catalog. GXS and ITC are the 2 major EDI catalog services.

One plus is that he did mention our thoughts about splitting the site between new and antique.

18 REPLIES 18

One good thing about using the catalog for brand new items is that a product that is recalled could be flagged. 

However, I don't think they will take it that far.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

One good thing about using the catalog for brand new items is that a product that is recalled could be flagged. 

However, I don't think they will take it that far.

That's a good suggestion @d-k_treasures

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Well, they locked the ebay product catalog thread, but I'm sure that there was still more to say.

One thing I noticed - he said they check GS1 to see if it is a valid UPC. GS1 can only tell you if a certain block belongs to a certain manufacturer, and the range. They have no clue as to what the UPC is acually for, unless a manufacturer uses them for their catalog. Most don't. In over 20 years of sending UPC's to various catalogs so that major retailers can download them, I've never ran across one who uses that catalog. GXS and ITC are the 2 major EDI catalog services.

One plus is that he did mention our thoughts about splitting the site between new and antique.

@d-k_treasures yes I'm aware of the fact that GS1 doesn't know which UPC belongs to which product. As you said, they're simply assigning certain blocks to certain brands. However for the UPC in question: 444444095428, GS1 returns the following message:

Return Code Prefix 02 or 04 for internal use only

I'm going to confirm with GS1 what this return code means. But I was interpreting it to mean that it's not a valid UPC for a product.

Of course there is a long history to UPCs and there were certain UPCs that were purchased by some companies at the time of UCC and those can be resold etc. Not sure if this is one of those. 

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@syedmhaq

Just read your "finale" post to that thread and wow. I think this is the MOST comprehensive analysis I've ever seen a blue make of the insights provided by the sellers. The usual SOP is a blue comes on posts a sticky thread, answers for a few days (maybe) and then vanishes never to be seen again = )

Your input has been a very refreshing change. You're actually LISTENING.

So whether the PTB actually heed your advice and suggestions garnered from your interaction with sellers on the thread, I for one greatly appreciate your efforts.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

@syedmhaq

Just read your "finale" post to that thread and wow. I think this is the MOST comprehensive analysis I've ever seen a blue make of the insights provided by the sellers. The usual SOP is a blue comes on posts a sticky thread, answers for a few days (maybe) and then vanishes never to be seen again = )

So whether the PTB actually heed your advice and suggestions garnered from your interaction with sellers on the thread, I for one greatly appreciate your efforts.

Thank you for your support @lookng2015

I shared all this seller feedback with the highest echelons of eBay today. Now the real test is going to be when we can get these issues fixed.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@syedmhaq wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@d-k_treasures yes I'm aware of the fact that GS1 doesn't know which UPC belongs to which product. As you said, they're simply assigning certain blocks to certain brands. However for the UPC in question: 444444095428, GS1 returns the following message:

Return Code Prefix 02 or 04 for internal use only

I'm going to confirm with GS1 what this return code means. But I was interpreting it to mean that it's not a valid UPC for a product.

Of course there is a long history to UPCs and there were certain UPCs that were purchased by some companies at the time of UCC and those can be resold etc. Not sure if this is one of those. 

A beginning '4' is for internal use, and a '2' I believe is for pharmaceutical/hospital use(not sure on that).

That's why you get that error. As I said before, manufacturers, vendors, and 3PL warehouses may create these internal numbers if they scan everything in and out and every step of the way, if there is no UPC on the product or the same UPC is used for varying quantities in a solid pack of merchandise. I've generated thousands of them over the years for the above reasons.

@syedmhaq wrote:

Thank you for your support @lookng2015

I shared all this seller feedback with the highest echelons of eBay today. Now the real test is going to be when we can get these issues fixed.

I kinda think the real test is IF you can get these issues fixed ........... but I hope you succeed, even though they would never apply to me, since I don't sell anything new.

You really did a great job of laying it all out.

@syedmhaq

I echo those that praise your summation....my apologies for the criticism I made....didn't realize the full implication of what you were doing.  I thought the thread was simply to fix problems.....

That said, now I have found a problem.....am sending it to the link you gave, but that done, it's more about a category problem......  I actually WANT to put in the upc........lol

This Product Page

https://www.ebay.com/p/yankee-candle-boney-bunch-witch-led-globe-halloween-tea-light-holder-2011/140...

That product is labeled new...... and note the category...... home decor candle holder

I have the same product.....used.  It has tags with UPC/mpn.......  I put it in 168025 --> Collectibles > Holiday & Seasonal > Halloween > Current (1991-Now) > Candles & Candleholders

But, despite the category date limitation from 1991, listing in that category gives no option to enter a UPC/mpn  either as new or used.  As I understand it, adding the mpn to item specifics does no good in search.  I did put mpn in title, but that doesn't seem to get me on the Product Page.    So I am shut out of the Product page unless I put it in the other category....

Seems to me if a category/subcategory is obviously for items that are post UPC introduction, the OPTION to put in the upc/mpn should be there.....otherwise the catalog will never be anywhere near accurate.  I don't know how many categories/sub are "date" sensitive in that way....but at least this one is.

My item is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yankee-Candle-Boney-Bunch-2011-LED-WITCH-GLOBE-Tea-Lt-Holder-1226810-Hallowe...

There are a total of 5 of these......one has the product page, one is listed in home decor, but has no UPC/mpn #, the others are listed in the Halloween category.....as they should be (to me at least)

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

@syedmhaq

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Extending my sincere appreciation to Syed for hanging in there with us, responding to questions and his extensive final outline posts.

Wow!  I am impressed.

The Fall Seller Update released yesterday has raised more questions.

If you have not yet done so, pop on over to the Fall Seller Update board and add your comments and questions.

There has been some interesting responses from Brian Burke and other ebay staff. 

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

@syedmhaq

got a response from one of your people that tells me to also list in the 2nd Category.....home decor  which, as I said, has the upc/mpn options.......

I trust I don't need to point out that a "halloween" category is certainly better for this item than home decor.......unless one actually does have a haunted house....... plus I don't want to spring for the extra $$.......plus it's wrong (?) not to be able to use a upc for an item that actually has one.........

Sigh...... 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

I almost directed one blue to read the thread and the summary, because it sounded like they didn't know about it or care about it.

Ya did good, Syedmhaq.  I concur with the rest.

And, unlike some that have attempted a feat such as yours, you didn't 'loose it' along the way.

It is really too bad that there aren't more at ebay such as yourself - even one or two.

Oh well.

Stick around and come back often!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Thank you @gracieallen01 @d-k_treasures @dhbookds @b86fiero for your kind words. You just made my day. 

The sleepless nights after work to engage and learn from all of you were totally worth it. I'm now heads down working with the team to fix the long list of issues. So if you don't hear from me as often, it's not because I've disappeared.

I will pop back from time to time to check on how things are going...

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Syedmhaq,

Message 15 of 19
latest reply