cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is 100% Predictable And NOT For the Better

So in my previous post I stated that I've had no sales in 10 days and that is a new record for me personally on Ebay. Like clockwork I log into my store to check things out and what do you know 1 SALE! It never fails that if I come here and complain, sales pick back up. Don't ask me why but every single time it happens. Here are my Top 3 Ways of Making Sales:

1. Abandon my store and do not list new items

2. Abandon my store and do not end listings to sell similar

3. If all else fails, come to the boards and complain about no sales

Also my Ebay Seller Page is completely different which can also explain why no sales. Ebay has once again changed the layout of everything. Now I do like the new design as it is more organized, but could this be just one more thing that affected my no sales. I really don't appreciate Ebay playing with our incomes to "test" new website designs. Ugh, give it a break.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

That 'sale' was just luck and had nothing to do with you posting on a forum as the forum is run by someone completely different than 'ebay'. 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

I sell on eBay, Poshmark and Amazon. How sales used to be last year was eBay was by far number one in business for me followed by Amazon then Poshmark.

Fast forward today it's Amazon, Poshmark and eBay dead last.  Many of the items I end up having to crosslist over on Poshmark end up selling at full original asking price after a few days while on eBay for those same items, prices are slashed repeatedly to thin margins.

eBay 100% needs to stop toying with the **bleep** site. I've gone with 3 days straight of zero sales on this platform while Amazon and Poshmark are doing fine. Maybe they should bring back the people they laid off because the condition of the site is getting worse without them.

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Ditto !

I've encountered a similar scenario.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Just because you went 10 days then posted here and got a sale it has NOTHING to do with that sale. If you normally get sales, then it only makes perfect sense that sooner or later you would get one. Please no conspiracies here.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

Coming to the boards to complain about slow sales must work.

That's why so many people do it.     😉 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Same here, I have not had ONE sale in 10 days, yet have 214 items being watched. This is the longest I've gone without a sale. I wonder if it's just the economy, or eBay constantly monkeying around with our websites or changing things that arent broken. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Posting on here has nothing to do with your sales, tho it might seem like it does. What are you doing to promote your items listed on here? Are you using the promoted listings tool, coupons, offers to followers of items, etc.? Are you using your social media platforms like facebook, insta, twitter, etc. to advertise your store or products? As someone once told me, you can have the greatest product to sell, but if nobody knows that you are offering it, you are not going to sell it. You have to be proactive in promoting yourself.  If you have any social media account, use it and get your items in front of people. 

Good luck! 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I LOVE how all of my haters have come to leave such supportive feedback; I've missed all of you too lol. It never ceases to amaze me how some can think Ebay does no wrong and it must be the seller's fault. Just admit you sold out to Ebay a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

Say what you will but my past history shows differently.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@aldelbertmatthew wrote:

I sell on eBay, Poshmark and Amazon. How sales used to be last year was eBay was by far number one in business for me followed by Amazon then Poshmark.

Fast forward today it's Amazon, Poshmark and eBay dead last.  Many of the items I end up having to crosslist over on Poshmark end up selling at full original asking price after a few days while on eBay for those same items, prices are slashed repeatedly to thin margins.

eBay 100% needs to stop toying with the **bleep** site. I've gone with 3 days straight of zero sales on this platform while Amazon and Poshmark are doing fine. Maybe they should bring back the people they laid off because the condition of the site is getting worse without them.

Thank you for your honest reply. Those who deny reality drive me nuts as it insults the actual situation happening. There are too many who have left Ebay because of no sales. I've tried opening an account with Amazon but the items I sell do not apply to their market. Also Poshmark is more for clothes and I just really don't like that website. I'm currently looking for other avenues to sell my items FAR FAR AWAY FROM EBAY. I've gone from selling 2-5 items daily to now 10 days without a sale. That is not normal and no matter what anyone says it is not my fault that is the case when I'm working more now for fewer returns than when I did first starting out and sales were great with very little inventory listed.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

I had a really good week (for me) last week, then went two days without a sale, and just as I started to think about it, two sales.

It's best not to look at sales on a day to day basis but at least on a month compared to month, and by that I mean compare February 2022 to February 2021 (or 2019 or 2018) (Ignore 2020 and 2021 because of the pandemic bump in online buying.)

Many of the items I end up having to crosslist over on Poshmark end up selling at full original asking price after a few days while on eBay for those same items, prices are slashed repeatedly to thin margins.

If what you    are saying is accurate, you are going to have a problem.

Once the crosslisted item sells on one venue, it is vital to remove it immediately from all the others.

If you mean an item which had been listed on one site for a long time and become stale, was taken down from that site and posted as a new item to another, that's safe enough. But you are also looking at the difference between a new item and a stale one.

FWIW- a Canadian stamp dealer has been looking at the difference in promotions for his older stamp lots. (Lots because they are less focussed than single stamp lots.)

He has found that  Promoted Listings at less than eBay's suggested  rates are much more likely to make sales on stale listings than offering discounts to Watchers. 

Apparently PL works better than discounts.

Everyone who has commented hates the idea of giving eBay more money but PL shows his lots to many new eyes and those new viewers become buyers.

I will now go don my chainmail undies.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

Hi @memorymarielane 

Have you considered the possibility that posting in the Community about low sales might have caused sympathetic members to check out your listings … and make a purchase if they see something they like?

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

Posting on here has nothing to do with your sales, tho it might seem like it does. What are you doing to promote your items listed on here? Are you using the promoted listings tool, coupons, offers to followers of items, etc.? Are you using your social media platforms like facebook, insta, twitter, etc. to advertise your store or products? As someone once told me, you can have the greatest product to sell, but if nobody knows that you are offering it, you are not going to sell it. You have to be proactive in promoting yourself.  If you have any social media account, use it and get your items in front of people. 

Good luck! 

While I appreciate your advice, is it not Ebay's responsibility to promote my items for sell? Just like any other platform they promote items listed so the item will sell. IF items listed don't sell then that means no money for them. Why would they NOT do that for their bottom line? Ebay on the other hand is they ONLY website I know that demands sellers to promote listings before being sold which is what is happening (just one of the many problems sellers are dealing with these days).  I AM NOT going to pay to have my items placed higher when it does no good. 

Same thing with social media. You ever log into your social media and see your feed flooded with your friends trying to sell their Paparazzi jewelry, tupperware, face/body mask, and whatever else they are trying to push these days? How do you like those post? I for one hate them and would not do that to my friends. Social media is for personal use and I am not going to spend time managing a business page for my Ebay store either. Again, the return on investment just is not there and time is money these days.

Anyhow, no matter what anyone doesn't want to accept- me coming on here and saying I have no sales has ALWAYS resulted in a sale the next day.  There are others who have reported the same.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@cindylouwho0659 wrote:

Same here, I have not had ONE sale in 10 days, yet have 214 items being watched. This is the longest I've gone without a sale. I wonder if it's just the economy, or eBay constantly monkeying around with our websites or changing things that arent broken. 

I believe the economy is certainly at play here as many are struggling to pay bills. Most on here refuse to admit that our economy is actually collapsing but I know otherwise (the past 3 years have proven so and things are not getting any better). 

Logging in today and seeing a completely different website design shows me they have been tinkering behind the scenes to roll out the new layout. Many have admitted that Ebay will test run new programs/software/functions on a section of stores thus stopping sales during that time. I believe that has happened. 

Do others not find it odd that yesterday the site looked completely different and when I log in today with a new design I have sales again? Why is the disconnect so strong with so many here. I mean please do tell how you are bringing in millions of dollars in sales for you to NEVER SAY A SINGLE BAD WORD ABOUT EBAY... EVER!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply