cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXPERIENCES WITH BEST OFFER SINCE EBAY HAS BEEN INCLUDING IT AUTOMATICALLY

It has been some time since Ebay decided to automatically add Best Offer to many listings.  While this was not popularly received, some have said that it has facilitated sales.

I wonder what your experiences with it have been, and how it has been used by buyers.  I know that Ebay's goal was to facilitate sales and lower prices, but buyers might interpret that as an opportunity to create a modest BIN situation, and offer more than the listed price.

There were times in years past where a buyer might message a seller asking for a BIN to be added and either offering a price for that or asking the seller what price they might expect for that.

So what would you say is the way most buyers are using this?  Are any using this to offer more?  Or has it mainly been used to lower prices?  I just thought that answer might be revealing and interesting.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: EXPERIENCES WITH BEST OFFER SINCE EBAY HAS BEEN INCLUDING IT AUTOMATICALLY

@mosmom25-6 wrote:

All it's done for me is let people make ridiculously low offers! I wish it didnt exist but sometimes I get busy listing and forget to set a higher offer price or forget about it totally and that's when i get .50 offers on $10 items! Wish it was gone IMO.

I have to wonder if they would even pay if their offer was accepted.

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

My experience with it as buyer and seller have been poor. As a buyer I have never been so poorly treated as when making a best offer in the last several months. The responses are rude, at best,including flat out cussing on occaision. I find things will have best offer but actually its just buy it now becauae anything under the price is too low. On auctions even a very high best offer, as in high above opening price, gets rejected. I used to buy with it and now I do not.

As seller, I get fewer offers now than I did 3 months ago on items thst intentionally have enabled them. On listings where it is intentionally disabled I have stopped trying to fix it off since it keeps happening and I delete those listings instead.

I used to be able to play with prices by dropping and removing best offer for a week, or raising and adding it, them moving it back on again at the lower price. Id edit things weekly to change them up and not only was it fun but things SOLD.
Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@castlemagicmemories

In better days it was possible to start off really high and negotiate a price with a buyer that everyone was happy with but I don't think it works like that now. Just today, a friend who's a marketing analyst in the footwear industry had a particulr statement  in his article about eBay struggling with early release sales + data when this was once within the top 2 places to check for the shoes.

No need to feel sorry but I appreciate your kind thought. It is something I do wish more people had, a little compassion towards others. Far too often it's a "I gotta get mine" mentality without considering how others are affected. For example, I constantly remind people of what percentage of shoes New Balance produces in America and Flimby, England and that in these two areas they pay their workers a living wage. So we shouldn't mind higher prices because someone might be able to put food on the table, pay their rent and send their kids to college simply by us paying a little extra for the pair of shoes, many of which use quality materials and craftsmanship, at least for the tier of footwear New Balance produces.

Just a little more love, consideration and compassion. That's all the world needs...for now.

The truth has few friends but many enemies.
No one is perfect, though a mirror and the right clothes may make some think otherwise.
Message 18 of 35
latest reply

I geniunely hate this new practice.  Sure, it increases sales for eBay, but it ultimately decreases profits for the seller.

I list an item (for 30 days).  If it doesn't sell in a week or two, eBay turns Best Offers on.  Sometimes I know this by going through my listings, getting the email notification, or by receiving a lowball offer.  Ebay automatically declines any offers below 50% your original asking price.   Here are my two most common scenarios:

1. Most of the offers I receive are EXACTLY 50% of my asking price.  They have figured out that this is the least they can offer without it being auto-rejected.  Nevertheless, I'm swamped with lowball 50% offers until I turn Best Offers off after it was automatically turned on.  This needlessly creates extra work for me.

2. I'll turn best offers off, after they were automatically turned on - then, sometimes, within less than 24 hours, that same item sells for my original BIN price.  In fact, this just happened with a pair of Nikes I was selling.  I received a few offers which I instantly declined, then turned off Best Offer.  Soon after, I got my asking price.  This has happened many, MANY times since eBay started this nonsense.  I research all my prices ahead of time, and in fact, I price them according to sold eBay listings.  Typically I'm on the lower end.  Regardless, I have no issues eventually selling my items for a price that is somewhere within fair market value.

Now, ocassionally, I'll have a BIN item that does NOT have Best Offers selected.  I'll get a message from a buyer asking if I will take X amount for the item.  Often, these offers are actually reasonable and I'll accept using eBay's newer system of allowing us to respond to that buyer with a offer to buy it at that price.  This is something that I actually like.  Primarily because it doesn't involve ADVERTISING that I'll "take less" for my items.  With Best Offer turned on, it guarantees that buyers will think that I'm open to negotiation.  With Best Offers off, and getting a message with an offer, that buyer often respects that the item's price is "firm" and will make an offer that is close to my asking price.

Anyway.  I've seen eBay's canned response - "You don't have to accept an offer if it's too low."  Gee, thanks for allowing me that freedom.  The problem is, it creates a climate of underselling my items.  I'm not a high-volume seller, so the things I sell are specifically chosen to maximize my profits and my time so I am as successful as possible.  Having to deactivate best offers constantly is a time-draining headache.  I've heard that by using the "Advanced Listing Tool" I can bypass this, but I've also heard that eBay will still turn Best Offer if your item does not sell within a certian timeframe, so I'm being punished by listing my items for 30 days.

I've called eBay's customer service about this twice.  The rep confirmed that they are getting these complaints all the time.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

@futuretomorrow wrote:

@castlemagicmemories

In better days it was possible to start off really high and negotiate a price with a buyer that everyone was happy with but I don't think it works like that now. Just today, a friend who's a marketing analyst in the footwear industry had a particulr statement  in his article about eBay struggling with early release sales + data when this was once within the top 2 places to check for the shoes.

No need to feel sorry but I appreciate your kind thought. It is something I do wish more people had, a little compassion towards others. Far too often it's a "I gotta get mine" mentality without considering how others are affected. For example, I constantly remind people of what percentage of shoes New Balance produces in America and Flimby, England and that in these two areas they pay their workers a living wage. So we shouldn't mind higher prices because someone might be able to put food on the table, pay their rent and send their kids to college simply by us paying a little extra for the pair of shoes, many of which use quality materials and craftsmanship, at least for the tier of footwear New Balance produces.

Just a little more love, consideration and compassion. That's all the world needs...for now.

You are so right, @futuretomorrow.  Thank you for sharing this.  A beautiful post.  The world would be a much better place if there wasn't so much self centeredness in it.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@silentgunstar wrote:

I geniunely hate this new practice.  Sure, it increases sales for eBay, but it ultimately decreases profits for the seller.

I list an item (for 30 days).  If it doesn't sell in a week or two, eBay turns Best Offers on.  Sometimes I know this by going through my listings, getting the email notification, or by receiving a lowball offer.  Ebay automatically declines any offers below 50% your original asking price.   Here are my two most common scenarios:

1. Most of the offers I receive are EXACTLY 50% of my asking price.  They have figured out that this is the least they can offer without it being auto-rejected.  Nevertheless, I'm swamped with lowball 50% offers until I turn Best Offers off after it was automatically turned on.  This needlessly creates extra work for me.

2. I'll turn best offers off, after they were automatically turned on - then, sometimes, within less than 24 hours, that same item sells for my original BIN price.  In fact, this just happened with a pair of Nikes I was selling.  I received a few offers which I instantly declined, then turned off Best Offer.  Soon after, I got my asking price.  This has happened many, MANY times since eBay started this nonsense.  I research all my prices ahead of time, and in fact, I price them according to sold eBay listings.  Typically I'm on the lower end.  Regardless, I have no issues eventually selling my items for a price that is somewhere within fair market value.

Now, ocassionally, I'll have a BIN item that does NOT have Best Offers selected.  I'll get a message from a buyer asking if I will take X amount for the item.  Often, these offers are actually reasonable and I'll accept using eBay's newer system of allowing us to respond to that buyer with a offer to buy it at that price.  This is something that I actually like.  Primarily because it doesn't involve ADVERTISING that I'll "take less" for my items.  With Best Offer turned on, it guarantees that buyers will think that I'm open to negotiation.  With Best Offers off, and getting a message with an offer, that buyer often respects that the item's price is "firm" and will make an offer that is close to my asking price.

Anyway.  I've seen eBay's canned response - "You don't have to accept an offer if it's too low."  Gee, thanks for allowing me that freedom.  The problem is, it creates a climate of underselling my items.  I'm not a high-volume seller, so the things I sell are specifically chosen to maximize my profits and my time so I am as successful as possible.  Having to deactivate best offers constantly is a time-draining headache.  I've heard that by using the "Advanced Listing Tool" I can bypass this, but I've also heard that eBay will still turn Best Offer if your item does not sell within a certian timeframe, so I'm being punished by listing my items for 30 days.

I've called eBay's customer service about this twice.  The rep confirmed that they are getting these complaints all the time.

So sorry you are having these issues with this.  I'm sure it's not easy.  Perhaps, since that rep said they are getting these complaints all the time, Ebay will change this policy.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

EBay just adds features willy nilly.  Let's copy the product catalog from Amazon even though EBay is known for sales of unique items!  Let's force "Best Offer" on everything like some selling platforms do, even though Amazon would never do that... wait, weren't we copying Amazon?  Amazon and other platforms offered free returns then got scammed for millions?  Let's add Free Returns to ebay even though no one else does that now because it's a strict money-loser!  You can't even get free returns from super high end brands anymore!

I don't want to go into a ton of detail, but putting Best Offer on everything will increase sales short term, but over time it will decrease average sale prices and lower revenue.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@sonoranboutique wrote:

EBay just adds features willy nilly.  Let's copy the product catalog from Amazon even though EBay is known for sales of unique items!  Let's force "Best Offer" on everything like some selling platforms do, even though Amazon would never do that... wait, weren't we copying Amazon?  Amazon and other platforms offered free returns then got scammed for millions?  Let's add Free Returns to ebay even though no one else does that now because it's a strict money-loser!  You can't even get free returns from super high end brands anymore!

I don't want to go into a ton of detail, but putting Best Offer on everything will increase sales short term, but over time it will decrease average sale prices and lower revenue.

I understand.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

It’s terrible! If I wanted to accept a lower price I’d make my bin a lower price. STOP CHANGING MY LISTING!!!!!

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

Sorry you've had such a horrible response to your offers! That's not fair! If they are so appalled by your offers they dont need to curse and be rude. I have put a, sorry but this is already set at a lower price then any other so I cannot accept or something along those lines but I dont say what I really want to! Customer service people! And if you're kind in your response maybe they will try another offer that's reasonable?? Just a thought
Message 25 of 35
latest reply

As a buyer if I see "Best Offer", I send an offer that is a bit lower than asking BIN price.  Like if an item is offered for $10, I offer $9.   That said, does it entice me to buy items I otherwise wouldn't buy?  No.  It entices me to try to save a bit of money on something I would buy anyway.

I briefly experimented with Best Offer on items I was selling. But I got lowball offers, which is annoying.   Also, I feel it makes items appear kind of . . . cheap.   "My item is worth $30!  (But not really because I have Best Offer on, please make me an offer for what it's actually worth.)"   Why would a buyer ever pay full price if it's clear I am willing to take a lower price?  I don't like it.  If I decide my item is worth $30, I'm selling it for $30. 

Fortunately eBay has not foisted Best Offer on any of my listings.  If they did then I would deny all the offers on principle.  If I wanted Best Offer on my items I'd put it there myself, thankssss.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I get a lot of best offers basically telling me they can buy the product on another website for cheaper.  Sometimes they provide the site and 99.9% of the time it's a chinese website shipping goods via e packet.  My response is always the same.  

I can't match that price the lowest I can go is $X and I can ship it today so you'll have it in 2-3 days.  otherwise shipping from HK takes about 30 days. 

Usually they buy once they realize how long it takes to get to them.  lowball offers do come in but I just counter with something realistic and usually the sale happens.  I've bought from many Chinese suppliers as the price is really good for resale but lately I've been buying in the USA, although for one of my products the quality was surprisingly better from China.  

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I had an item listed for $15 and shipping of $5. I received an offer of $5 and they wanted free shipping since they only live 3 states away! Basically, they wanted to pay shipping and receive the item FREE!  Very frustrating!  A waste of time respondng to these offers. 

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@triumph2oo2 wrote:

It’s terrible! If I wanted to accept a lower price I’d make my bin a lower price. STOP CHANGING MY LISTING!!!!!

You are not alone~that does seem to be the consensus.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

Sometimes I think it is sad when sellers report what they have been offered.  Other times you wonder, what were they thinking.  Or were they.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply