cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay added Best Offer to several of my listings without my consent

Just found that eBay had added Best Offer to many of my listings without my knowledge.  I know some of you like that function but I personally only use it on selected items.  

When Best Offer is on a listing, I get far too many low ball offers and if eBay does it automatically I cannot even set a price to automatically reject a low offer.

Just an alert for anyone who cares about this to check their listings.  I found a banner at the top of the listings that shows how many are Best Offers.  I do not know if this is a new function but I never noticed it before but it caught my attention.  Fortunately there is a way to remove the function in a batch rather than individually.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: EBay added Best Offer to several of my listings without my consent

Have not heard this complaint for some time. Never have ever seen this issue with my listings.

This is still a thing?

Posting ID
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You have to double check your listings when you enter them.

Sometimes ebay will pre-check "best offer" even though you don't want it  and you have to un-check it.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Most of the additions of Best Offer were to listings that automatically resisted so there was no way to check them at that time.  I'm just saying that this is something of which we should all be aware and, yes, we all need to stay on top of our listings.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

EBay doesn't add Best Offers at all. More likely you checked the boxes by accident. It's easy for this to happen as EBay page AUTO-REFRESH kicks on constantly.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Oh well, just edit the listing and ignore the offers.  I always ignore and simply delete low ball offers.  The person usually gets the message.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Yes, this what he is complaining about.  Why on Earth would Ebay just assume to do that, unprovoked? Its not right.  Especially when they can see in his profile, he never has best offer enabled on any items he lists? Even more ridiculous. 

Its akin to ebay setting an item to be eligible for global shipping, when the seller has his profile set to not ship internationally.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

I agree with you.

It's not right and it shouldn't happen.

But it does.

For that reason I double check all my listings.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@yoonix1 wrote:

EBay doesn't add Best Offers at all. More likely you checked the boxes by accident. It's easy for this to happen as EBay page AUTO-REFRESH kicks on constantly.

No, it does happen, @yoonix1 , mainly to casual sellers. I know because it happened to me as well, but this was a few years back. We use to regularly find complaints about this on the forums, though it has been quite some time since i have seen one.

The work-around used to be to use the advanced listing tool rather than the quick-listing tool. But with the advent of the new listing format, i know of no way now to avoid the issue.

By trying to foist Best Offer on unsuspecting sellers, eBay way oversteps its boundaries.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@fashunu4eeuh  @yoonix1

Yes, Thank you, you are correct, Ebay adds this feature without the customer even knowing this.  This also happened to me.  I absolutely do not offer best offers because I kept getting stiffed by all these deadbeats.  Here's a screenshot for all the doubters:

screenshot2.jpg

I choose none of these, yet there they were all enabled.  The same for international shipping.  I only ship to Canada and the US.  Another feature that is enabled if you don't watch it is the auto return feature.  If the customer wants a return, this feature will just give them their money back.  No need to return the item or to contest the return.  That's bull. 

@patternsaver 

Make sure this is also not enabled or you'll be giving all your customers free merchandise. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@lakefor94 

Check out my post.  I attached a screen shot of this mess.  This is what I discovered while listing.  All enabled as well as international shipping and auto returns.  Unacceptable.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Brutal stuff there. Perhaps I never see that sort of thing because I list off a template?

Posting ID
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I made a new template a few weeks ago for parts watches

the majority of them are listed at 99 cents no reserve

I have a group of them up now and they have best offer with them

I have never ever used best offer since I normally do auctions

it must have happened when I made the new template

the new template also made a change to my free return, it just took it away

I guess I need to pay more attention

@lakefor94