cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Done Dealing with Low Ball Offers and Low Ball Buyers

Is it just me or do many others on here have some of the most difficult transactions with these people asking for big discounts on items. In my experience a huge percentage of these people end up being partial refund scammers, not as described critics who want another deep discount after they get the item. I swore I would block each and every one of these from now on but got soft on this one recent transaction and here we go again with these people. My strategy from now on is to block each and every low Ball offer. No exception from now on.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Re: Done Dealing with Low Ball Offers and Low Ball Buyers

Dont reply to the email.  Just block them.  If you reply their emails can still get through to you even if they are blocked.

Message 31 of 38
latest reply

I quite often get people asking for really silly discounts and I ignore them. I feel horrible for doing so, but too many people deliberately low ball with sob stories, and "I'll pay cash".

Now I am a believer in if you don't ask, you don't get. However I'm far more accomodating to those who just simply ask if there is any wiggle room on the price, rather than those who come in wanting 40, 50, 60percent on items that are priced in line with similar listings in similar condition. 

Same applies to those looking for delivery on bulky collection only items. I ignore them too, as usually they ask for free delivery on said items, and get upset when you tell them that they'd need to pay for a courier. Or they ask for large discounts for having to come to collect. Without sounding horrible, I personally think it is rude to ask for money off for collecting an item that is listed as collection only, especially if it is a very low value item.  It is not the sellers concern with how far a buyer has to travel, if the buyer wants the item it's down to them to make their own travel arrangements.  Again nothing against people asking for a small discount depending on price, or even meeting them halfway if the buyer has a long trip, but you can't expect a seller to foot the fuel bill for the buyer collecting it. You wouldn't go to the supermarket then ask for money off for driving there.

People seem to ignore that private sellers need a bit of profit on their items and that eBay also takes a final value fee.

Message 32 of 38
latest reply

From post #21

‎05-14-2023 12:05 PM

Easy to avoid.

Set parameters to accept/refuse offers automatically.

If you set your price at $100 but would accept $90, any offer between $90 and $100 would be accepted with no effort on your part.

If you would not accept less than $80 you can also set that, and the lowball customer gets a polite automated refusal. You don't even see it.

You can set the accept/refuse a penny apart.

You can set the accept at a penny below your full asking price, but that is just annoying the customer who perseveres.

Message 33 of 38
latest reply

Amen!  I block em all too.  Those losers are like flies buzzing around **bleep** pestering people to get a few cents off.

Message 34 of 38
latest reply

OK.  But are you aware that you are not required to respond?

And this post is over 9 months old. 

Message 35 of 38
latest reply

Heads up everyone, we found the lowballer who's upset we wont accept their terrible offers 

Message 36 of 38
latest reply

Buyers are looking for good deals and are under absolutely no obligation to offer what you think is a fair price. You have the power to set the minimum offer at whatever you choose, and you have no business being upset by "lowball" offers if you fail to do so. You also have no business automatically assuming they're scammers. 

This is not a buyer problem, it's a you problem. 

Message 37 of 38
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 38 of 38
latest reply