cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the seller loose everything

Bought a for parts dive watch that was guaranteed to power on. Got it, put a battery in it. No power. Bought 4 brand new Energizer bats. No power still.

Opened SNAD with message that there was no power. Seller was extremelyl nice and offered assistance in installing battery. Responded that I already tried 4 brand new bats and still no power and that I have the same watch in another model and know how to install bats.

Seller then messaged me wanting me to verify what I just told him. From then on I ignored his messages, 3 in all, all the same.

Today I escalated at 8:10am. ebay ruled in my favor at 8:14am. ebay, what took you so long. 4 minutes?  Network down or something? I was instructed to print label and return watch. Cool I thought.

At 8:47am ebay sends me another message that they decided to give me a courtesy refund and the case is now closed.

Did the seller lose both the watch and his money? If so, why would ebay do that, the escalation? I know how escalations work and if the buyer hasn't called my bluff by the last day, I'm hitting return for refund regardless. Evidently this seller was unaware of the horrible defect he just bought.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@banana-posts wrote:
At 8:47am ebay sends me another message that they decided to give me a courtesy refund and the case is now closed.

Did the seller lose both the watch and his money?

The seller has his money. A "courtesy refund" is when eBay chooses to refund you on their dime. 

As an aside, the seller was never entitled to both the watch AND the money. He was only entitled to one or the other.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I guess ebay is really going all out to please buyers, literally putting their money where there mouth is.

seller = 1 plus one defect

buyer = 1 plus one free watch

ebay = 0 out $194

Lithium, You might want to take a look your spell checker. 'Watch' is really spelled that way.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

Bought a for parts dive watch that was guaranteed to power on. Got it, put a battery in it. No power. Bought 4 brand new Energizer bats. No power still.

Opened SNAD with message that there was no power. Seller was extremelyl nice and offered assistance in installing battery. Responded that I already tried 4 brand new bats and still no power and that I have the same watch in another model and know how to install bats.

Seller then messaged me wanting me to verify what I just told him. From then on I ignored his messages, 3 in all, all the same.

Today I escalated at 8:10am. ebay ruled in my favor at 8:14am. ebay, what took you so long. 4 minutes?  Network down or something? I was instructed to print label and return watch. Cool I thought.

Did the seller lose both the watch and his money? If so, why would ebay do that, the escalation? I know how escalations work and if the buyer hasn't called my bluff by the last day, I'm hitting return for refund regardless. Evidently this seller was unaware of the horrible defect he just bought.

Courtesy refund is when ebay refunds seller out of their own pocket.  No defect for the seller.

Usually when they are not sure seller is at fault so they will give them a one time benefit of the doubt.

So in this case, you get your money back, seller gets his watch back, and ebay takes the hit.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

It seems banana-posts is keeping the watch.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

That's good to know about the defect. Will throw him a pos FB.  With ebay's, oh what's the word, 'feelings' about money. I'm kind of surprised they have a courtesy refund program.  It's definitely good for sellers. Keeps the buyers coming back.

watch5.JPG

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@rschissler wrote:

Why not if the seller is not out the money.  If he was out the money it would be going back. Suppose I could send it to ebay but wouldn't know where.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

Bought a for parts dive watch that was guaranteed to power on.

You've been on these boards long enough to know a seller who is selling for parts means the item is carp. The seller was wrong like all other parts sellers who say "something" works, but suprised you did that to your seller. Lucky Ebay did the right thing and helped him out.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

Why not if the seller is not out the money.  If he was out the money it would be going back. Suppose I could send it to ebay but wouldn't know where.

Actually unless the seller says do not bother, you are supposed to return it back to him.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@banana-posts wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

Actually unless the seller says do not bother, you are supposed to return it back to him.

Why ? The seller got paid for his junk watch already.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@banana-posts wrote:

@rschissler wrote:

Why ? The seller got paid for his junk watch already.

If it is junk, why would the buyer even want it?

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

That's what I basically thought when I made my first post. Banana has been around the block.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

JMO of course, but

If seller is willing to pay return shipping and wants item back, then you do so.

If not, then you keep it.

As far as Banana knowing the system, not sure how to interpret that?  Is the item not as bad as he is claiming?

If I sent an item I knew was not junk and cost more than the shipping cost I would certainly want it returned.

If it is not worth the cost of shipping, to be honest, why would a seller even bother listing it, which is a discussion for another day - junk listings cluttering up ebay.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

As far as Banana knowing the system, not sure how to interpret that?  Is the item not as bad as he is claiming?

If I sent an item I knew was not junk and cost more than the shipping cost I would certainly want it returned.

@emerald40

He said it was for parts so it had to have been not working and expected it to not work as with 99% of all listing that are for parts.

In this scenario, even though it should not have been purchased in the first place unless the buyer expected the worse, the seller messed up by mentioning it turns on. (Buyers love those little tidbits of info), so why should the seller get the watch and the $$ and not the buyer ? The seller was already made whole.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

The watch belongs to ebay,  not the seller and not to me. If it's not possible to return it to ebay, then it defaults to me as I was the last owner.  Once the seller accepted and kept funds for the device, he gave up ownership. He has no rights to receive it back.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply