cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the seller loose everything

Bought a for parts dive watch that was guaranteed to power on. Got it, put a battery in it. No power. Bought 4 brand new Energizer bats. No power still.

Opened SNAD with message that there was no power. Seller was extremelyl nice and offered assistance in installing battery. Responded that I already tried 4 brand new bats and still no power and that I have the same watch in another model and know how to install bats.

Seller then messaged me wanting me to verify what I just told him. From then on I ignored his messages, 3 in all, all the same.

Today I escalated at 8:10am. ebay ruled in my favor at 8:14am. ebay, what took you so long. 4 minutes?  Network down or something? I was instructed to print label and return watch. Cool I thought.

At 8:47am ebay sends me another message that they decided to give me a courtesy refund and the case is now closed.

Did the seller lose both the watch and his money? If so, why would ebay do that, the escalation? I know how escalations work and if the buyer hasn't called my bluff by the last day, I'm hitting return for refund regardless. Evidently this seller was unaware of the horrible defect he just bought.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Does the seller loose everything

@coolections wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

As far as Banana knowing the system, not sure how to interpret that?  Is the item not as bad as he is claiming?

If I sent an item I knew was not junk and cost more than the shipping cost I would certainly want it returned.

@emerald40

He said it was for parts so it had to have been not working and expected it to not work as with 99% of all listing that are for parts.

In this scenario, even though it should not have been purchased in the first place unless the buyer expected the worse, the seller messed up by mentioning it turns on. (Buyers love those little tidbits of info), so why should the seller get the watch and the $$ and not the buyer ? The seller was already made whole.

I am not taking sides here.

But you and I are not there examining the watch.  Either it works or it does not.  Even if seller embellished the truth, buyer is not allowed to ask for his money back and keep the watch.

This is what we tell all the other posters who come on here, so it should be no different if the OP is one of our own.  And as an experienced buyer, we could say he should have known better, bought it anyway, and now is expecting something more.

In a perfect world the watch should go back to ebay.  But with the way it works on ebay, it goes back to the seller.

Amd remember this is a one time courtesy.  So one could say the seller wasted it on a cheap item instead of waiting for when a buyer really tries to scam him on something expensive.

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

As far as Banana knowing the system, not sure how to interpret that?  Is the item not as bad as he is claiming?

If I sent an item I knew was not junk and cost more than the shipping cost I would certainly want it returned.

@emerald40

He said it was for parts so it had to have been not working and expected it to not work as with 99% of all listing that are for parts.

In this scenario, even though it should not have been purchased in the first place unless the buyer expected the worse, the seller messed up by mentioning it turns on. (Buyers love those little tidbits of info), so why should the seller get the watch and the $$ and not the buyer ? The seller was already made whole.

It had nothing to do with 'tidbits.' It is a $1200 Suunto Aqua that had a bad water spot on the screen, covering most of it. My plan was to get a mini-suction cup and try to suck the spot out of the watch. It works on phones sometimes. That is why it was listed for parts. The power issue is another matter.

Just because something is listed for parts doesn't automatically mean it's junk and doesn't automatically absolve the auction from all blanket responsibility like you keep suggesting.

Change.....As the wind blows
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Where does the $194 come from?  And we know it really doesn't come from eBay.

Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@banana-posts wrote:

@coolections wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

@emerald40

It had nothing to do with 'tidbits.' It is a $1200 Suunto Aqua that had a bad water spot on the screen, covering most of it. My plan was to get a mini-suction cup and try to suck the spot out of the watch. It works on phones sometimes. That is why it was listed for parts. The power issue is another matter.

Just because something is listed for parts doesn't automatically mean it's junk and doesn't automatically absolve the auction from all blanket responsibility like you keep suggesting.

You are quoting me, but using another poster's comments, so I am not sure who you are talking to

but my question would be  - If this type of watch waterproof -and if not - If water got in there, and the casing is showing moisture aren't the chances great that the watch will not turn on any longer.

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

It is part of the cost of doing business, like when sellers roll i n free shipping to the cost of the item.

So yes, of course it comes from all of us in the fees we pay.

Message 20 of 27
latest reply

For parts means if you take these parts and your parts maybe you can make something that works.
Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 21 of 27
latest reply

You nitpicked watch but left out loose as in this screw is loose.  Not lose=will the seller lose the money.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@divwido wrote:

You nitpicked watch but left out loose as in this screw is loose.  Not lose=will the seller lose the money.

"putting their money where there mouth is".  

I wish Lithium had a way to suggest the correct adverbs and propositions and conjunctions and pronouns and verbs and whatever else.  

There was a post here not too long ago where the Seller said she listed a pair of brand new Dickies.  The buyer bought them and decided she wanted to keep them and get her money back - which is exactly what happened.  Then the thief buyer listed them on her eBay and used the original seller's photos, to boot!  

After the Seller and other people reported this to eBay, eBay did absolutely nothing about it.    

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@divwido wrote:

I wish Lithium had a way to suggest the correct adverbs and propositions and conjunctions and pronouns and verbs and whatever else.  

There was a post here not too long ago where the Seller said she listed a pair of brand new Dickies.  The buyer bought them and decided she wanted to keep them and get her money back - which is exactly what happened.  Then the thief buyer listed them on her eBay and used the original seller's photos, to boot!  

After the Seller and other people reported this to eBay, eBay did absolutely nothing about it.    

Had I been the seller that got burned on those, I would have been tempted to buy them back from a different account (shouldn't be considered stealing if they were stolen from you in the first place), and pull the same thing on the thief; then resell yet again.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

@rainbowcolorz wrote:

@divwido wrote:

Had I been the seller that got burned on those, I would have been tempted to buy them back from a different account (shouldn't be considered stealing if they were stolen from you in the first place), and pull the same thing on the thief; then resell yet again.

@nowthatsjustducky,  I actually had the same thought but then I realized stealing is stealing ... and vigilante justice, while it's tempting, is still wrong.  

But now that I read that buyer might not get the chance to do that to someone else if/should it ever become necessary to file another SNAD on an item that is more valuable, she will most likely be SOL.  

PS:  I tried to edit my original post but ran out of time.   Propositions should have been prepositions!   Sheesh.  

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

Good for you. Like they say,  "The buyer is always right" on ebay. You received a courtesy refund on behalf of ebay. Seller does not get a defect. Everything turned out ok for both of you.Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

$1200 watch for $194. If the buyer was anyone other than a regular poster sellers would have been all over this one. You knew it did not work, new water got in it, and should have expected it to not turn on. Ebay knew the seller was right, therefore a courtesy refund.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply