cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do many ask themselves why put in so much effort?

Added a listing with 22 images.  All of the time & effort to make sure a seller can give as much detail as possible to the potential buyers.   Potential buyers?  Does not seem worth it at all when, after 5 days, no views.  How many views will appear in a month?  3?  I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time.  I know....I know.  If I sell what is in demand, I'll get more sales & views.  Blah, blah, blah.  lol  Posted an item on eBay that does not have a single view in over 2 weeks but the same thing has 100 on Marketplace.  Where do you think it will sell?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

I am giving up this year. 2022 was my first year and did pretty good. 2023 I sold about half as much. This year January was good, then things dropped off big time.

Tried selling items on Facebook's market place in 2023  (at first garden material) and did good. Every effort to sell other items was a failure to sell anything. 2024 is starting off rotten there too.

My guess is the economy is so bad that it is not worth the effort.

And I will make a prediction which I hope I am wrong on. "No matter who wins the election the economy will NOT improve. I believe it will get even worse than it is now.

That is why I am giving up. Best of luck to everyone else out there.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

This is why having a store with a large revolving inventory is the best method.  Just list and forget about it.  Update the listings and prices once a year and move on.  Keep adding new things.  Don't fall in love with any one thing demanding too high a price point. 

The days of listing one thing and hoping it sells in a week are over.  Unless it's a rare or highly desirable item at a great price.  That's just how it is now.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

@mike_jayroe wrote:

My guess is the economy is so bad that it is not worth the effort.

And I will make a prediction which I hope I am wrong on. "No matter who wins the election the economy will NOT improve. I believe it will get even worse than it is now.

With effort & change, improvement & recovery is possible.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

@ed8108 

OP would rather just complain ad nauseam. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Added a listing with 22 images.  All of the time & effort to make sure a seller can give as much detail as possible to the potential buyers.   Potential buyers?  Does not seem worth it at all when, after 5 days, no views.  How many views will appear in a month?  3?  I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time.  I know....I know.  If I sell what is in demand, I'll get more sales & views.  Blah, blah, blah.  lol  Posted an item on eBay that does not have a single view in over 2 weeks but the same thing has 100 on Marketplace.  Where do you think it will sell?

Hang in there. Things are a little slow for most and as you stated, having items that are currently in demand has always been the key for fast sales. Pictures do help but i would agree that unless the item is worth your time, streamline your process to list quickly. Cross listing is generally a good idea but does require some time. FB Marketplace, Craigslist, Mecari and other selling platforms have their advantages. I think you know this already so keep doing what your doing. Things will pick up (not sure when) and make sure you are ready for the up tick.

-Good Luck

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

I don't think any up tick's are coming any time soon, If at all, That's the Yin & Yang of it!

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

@meme6253 wrote:

I don't think any up tick's are coming any time soon, If at all, That's the Yin & Yang of it!

Eventually we will end up there and agree it may take a bit longer. Things can happen that can artificially stimulate the market. Another virus/shutdown where the govt. sends stimulus funds to everyone. The last time that did happen, my sales spiked on Ebay. Hopefully things turn out better sooner than later. I have a feeling things will get increasingly better here on Ebay right after the election. We will see and good luck to everyone.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

@conservitvs wrote:

@ed8108 

OP would rather just complain ad nauseam. 

Recently the OP has been starting new woe-is-me topic threads on an average of one every four or five days. Once the replies start to die off and there is less attention being paid, a new thread comes along to try and stir things up again.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

@sakic92710 

Well, I can't speak for the many, but for myself---the answer is : No, not really.

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

Yes,just his weekly ad on the board.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 11 of 47
latest reply

Not every venue is right for every item.

Some things are better sold at yard sales, others still at the flea market, still some sell better on Marketplace, ebay too has a limited market. If you want to sell things on ebay you may want to spend some time learning what actually sells here.

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

Collectables are just like any other commodity. 

Some items are in demand and others are not.     I don't think there is much demand for OP items.  

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Anything & everything use to sell here, trying to guess at what is the next best thing since sliced bread is dangerous & can leave you holding a lot of useless inventory

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

@sakic92710  " I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time."

Another Sakic Rule....how many of these type of rules have you told us about? And how many have you ultimately ignored?

I know I'm simply repeating what many, many people have said, but at some point you've got to realize that your attitude is the biggest single stumbling block to online reselling success, here or elsewhere.

The five minute rule is nonsense. Try changing your attitude instead. 

Message 15 of 47
latest reply