cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disillusioned with Ebay - Returns and Refunds - Is this Normal Business?

I have been selling used costume jewelry on Ebay since January.  Last week, I had 2 purchasers decide they didn't like the item, so my only choice was to let them keep it, or pay to send it back - so I lost both of those sales.

Fast forward, earlier this week I sold a USPS Flat Rate Box of broken jewelry.  USPS Flat Rate was listed both in the title and in the shipping section.  Today, the buyer has filed an "Item Not Received" claim with Ebay saying "package was left on my porch without signature delivery and someone could have stolen it".  Obviously, they admitted to receiving it.  The buyer never messaged me to confirm it included signature delivery or even asked to add signature delivery.  I responded very nicely, but firmly that I was not going to refund an item that was delivered per our agreement based on hypothetical circumstances.  

Is this just part of the Ebay seller process - or is there something I can do to limit both of these from happening?  This one this morning threw me and I have wasted waaaay too much time on literally a box of trash.  Maybe in the future it would just be easier to throw the broken stuff away.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Disillusioned with Ebay - Returns and Refunds - Is this Normal Business?

Maybe some screenshots will help clarify my return issue, as I didn't accurately describe it.

cat31302_2-1712499055679.png

cat31302_0-1712498953370.pngcat31302_1-1712498988167.png

Message 16 of 26
latest reply

You should not concern yourself with 3 returns in 156 sales over $5000.

Do the math.

$5000 in. $200 out. 

That is $4800 in.

There should be NO reason to be 'disillusioned' as you couldn't sell 1/10th of that amount or $$ worth any other way. 

Dealing with the public is what it is- you will get mostly great transactions and always a few head scratchers. 

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

Returns in general are a part of business. I don't really like the auto return policy before contacting the seller but my little opinion isn't going to change ebay's policy.

I had a return this week for a pet medal. Guy got it on March 25th and immediately opened a return because, "just don't like it," which happens. I got an email from ebay saying it was delivered to me and, since there was a Nor'easter going on, I just stupidly gave him a refund without walking out to the mailbox and looking at what he returned. It was a used, dirty medal. Live and learn.... and block those you don't want to deal with.

It could very well have been a porch pirate, or your postal carrier delivered it to the wrong address. Regardless, ebay will find in your favor if tracking shows delivery. Not much you can do.

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

If you "allow returns" CUSTOMER pays ALL SHIPPING (if reason is "don't like/changed my mind/buyers remorse)".    If you DON'T ALLOW returns...customer is still covered by EBAY Money Back Guarantee (supersedes "no returns" policy) and allows customer to return item by claiming "not as described, defective, counterfeit, missing parts" (you will be forced to give full refund "purchase price + shipping BOTH ways". 

EBAY does NOT require customer to prove their claims.  EBAY allows rules in favor of the customer (except for missing packages where Seller provides tracking# proving item was delivered).   Seller are NOT responsible for "thief" after item was delivered.

Message 19 of 26
latest reply

@cat31302

In my opinion and experience, this is a situation that is here to stay and will only continue to get worse unless the site does something about it, and since they need buyers so badly(any buyer regardless of quality), that does not seem likely.

I don't believe they lose anything in cases like this, at least monetarily in the short term(which seems to be all they are concerned with given their strategies over the last 10-15 yrs) - But in the long term, they lose another seller who is also likely a buyer who has friends, family, acquaintances that they share their disgust with this site with... This has been catching up with them for years and once boomers are mostly gone, this site will go along with them - ebay is what boomers are used to and embedded in and people are naturally adverse to change, even when the writing is on the wall - Younger buyers are saavy computer literate/app happy shoppers and willing to branch out to all kinds of sites and apps - Due to the sites quest for 30% to 50% of your items price in fees, what they see when they come here is prices of used items higher than what you can buy new for on other sites.

I used to trade here as a full time seller with substantial sales on 7 or 8 different accounts - The "Money Back Guarantee" that you are now dealing with as well as their heinous(in my opinion) promoted listings program made me execute my exit strategy early, having no doubt where this site was heading full steam ahead...As a word of advise, tread lightly and look to diversify - You dont want all your eggs in one basket on any selling venue and you need to have an exit strategy if the site coddles you into getting emotionally and financially vested here - Thats when they feel they got you - If you are here long enough, I'm sure you'll find out just what I mean, especially now that they appear to be ALL IN on promoted listings - if there ever was a tool to manipulate sellers, this program is king in my opinion...

Message 20 of 26
latest reply

I just block those kind of buyers from future purchases.

I have about maybe 500+ people blocked.

It does weed out them by blocking them.

I always enjoy it when  a buyer contacts me and can't purchase from me.

Anything over like $50. I like to get a signature for delivery and I usually don't charge a buyer for that.

I check buyers feedback to see if items need to have a signature.

I prefer to do "returns...but buyer pays for return shipping". I don't get returns at all.

Message 21 of 26
latest reply

Did you get an Ebay message that says you have added the tracking info into the INR?

Even though it is grayed out, I think you have to submit it. 

Can you click in the box to make it not gray?  (I haven't had one of these is awhile, but I'm pretty sure i had to still submit it even though it was already prefilled.)

Message 22 of 26
latest reply

ebay's latest thing on an INR is that you can't enter tracking again if "it's already delivered". EOS.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 23 of 26
latest reply

This is interesting.  When I spoke to Ebay about the two people who didn't like the item, they said I would either need to pay return shipping or let the customers keep the product.  Neither item was worth the cost of refunding the whole item and then paying to ship it back - there would have been no profit left if I resold it.

This is sometimes the case. But you should also be aware that some buyers utilize it as a ploy for exactly the reason you stated. If the buyer has not officially opened a return request and is sending you messages they may be sizing you up to see if you will refund without them and allow them to keep the item without them having to open an official case. Buyers know that if you want the item back you will have to pay the return postage. What they are hoping is the return postage cost makes it non-profitable for you to approve the return and issue a return label. Even when you do provide the return label sometimes the buyer simply never returns the item. 

Message 24 of 26
latest reply

EOS 😁

or so you would think....................  but stand by for.......................  more.(possibly)🤔

Message 25 of 26
latest reply

Some types of merchandise are more likely to draw high maintenance or dishonest customers than other categories.

In my experience, buyers of costume jewelry are more likely be high maintenance than other categories. That experience comes with the territory. Since costume jewelry orders of the size your box lot was are uncommon, it is hard to say that that is normal.

Years ago I sold a diverse assortment of types of items online. As I grew older and was unwilling to spend a lot of effort on post-sales customer service, I eliminated entire categories which required more effort than I was willing to expend. My current offerings lend to be low hassle because I eliminated the known high hassle items.

You need to think about what you sell, and whether it is worth the effort. The same items will have the same problems if you sell on other marketplaces. They are even more hassle when you sell in person.

Message 26 of 26
latest reply