cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disillusioned with Ebay - Returns and Refunds - Is this Normal Business?

I have been selling used costume jewelry on Ebay since January.  Last week, I had 2 purchasers decide they didn't like the item, so my only choice was to let them keep it, or pay to send it back - so I lost both of those sales.

Fast forward, earlier this week I sold a USPS Flat Rate Box of broken jewelry.  USPS Flat Rate was listed both in the title and in the shipping section.  Today, the buyer has filed an "Item Not Received" claim with Ebay saying "package was left on my porch without signature delivery and someone could have stolen it".  Obviously, they admitted to receiving it.  The buyer never messaged me to confirm it included signature delivery or even asked to add signature delivery.  I responded very nicely, but firmly that I was not going to refund an item that was delivered per our agreement based on hypothetical circumstances.  

Is this just part of the Ebay seller process - or is there something I can do to limit both of these from happening?  This one this morning threw me and I have wasted waaaay too much time on literally a box of trash.  Maybe in the future it would just be easier to throw the broken stuff away.

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Disillusioned with Ebay - Returns and Refunds - Is this Normal Business?

@cat31302 wrote:

' ............. This one this morning threw me and I have wasted waaaay too much time on literally a box of trash.  '

You are asking buyers to pay shipping on what you yourself are calling a box of trash, but not even understanding how returns work. Best to learn more about how the whole process works before beginning.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Item Not Received cases are part of online selling. Make sure to respond to all eBay cases filed. Do not allow any to go unattended or allow eBay to decide the case for you. Respond within the filed eBay case itself.

I had a buyer in San Francisco once complain about not adding a signature required on their delivery for  a $235 item. They got the item OK but UPS had to make a trip or two to get it in their hands. I reckon it was a tough neighborhood.

I told the buyer that most all my buyers despise signature required and they have to ask for that if they feel they need it for transactions under $750. 

I received some sort of entitled response from the buyer and added them to my buyer blocked list.

Buyers have to take personal responsibility for providing a safe delivery location or they will experience problems.

BTW, selling trash/junk is risky no matter how well you describe it even when listing with the "For Parts Only, not working" description.  

Posting ID
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

If buyer actually opened a case for INR........you need to answer the case with the tracking # that shows delivered...........your post is a bit unclear to me as to whether you did that or just messaged the buyer.  Case will be closed in your favor.

As to I don't like it cases/posing as NAD, those will happen......returns are a part of retail today.  Some sellers add 25c or so to each listing to cover the eventuality.   You've sold 156 items in the last 90 days......so it would seem you are coming out ahead.........

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

@cat31302 wrote:

I have been selling used costume jewelry on Ebay since January.  Last week, I had 2 purchasers decide they didn't like the item, so my only choice was to let them keep it, or pay to send it back - so I lost both of those sales.

Your sales look really good to me.  Since you have a return policy, if a buyer files to return due to not liking the item (remorse), they are responsible for the return shipping and you can deduct the initial shipping too if charged.  I see no reason to refund and let them keep the item.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@cat31302 

If the buyer opened a INR, just upload the tracking number to the dispute (and I usually also cut and paste the tracking history into the comments section) and let Ebay close it out in your favor.

No stress, no headache

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Returns are a normal part of doing business regardless of whether it is ecommerce or a B&M store. About the best you can do is to do everything you can to minimize those. You have sold 331 items in the last 90 days so 2 returns is probably not all that bad given the category you are selling in. As for the INR I am going to assume it pertains to the item below. Has the buyer opened an official INR case with eBay or just messaged you? If they have opened a case simply respond to the case, upload the tracking number and information showing the item as delivered. I am not sure what the item sold for since it was an offer but eBay has a policy that for anything over $700 in value you are required to have signature receipt. 

If the buyer has just messaged you respond in a non-confrontational manner indicating to the buyer you are sorry they have not received their item but the tracking shows the item being delivered. They should check with their courier on occasion USPS leaves items at the wrong address or actually still has the package. If the item was under $700 you could also let the buyer know that signature receipt, by eBay policy is not required for items under $700 and it was never requested. If it was over $700 of course don't raise the issue.  

dbfolks166mt_0-1712493196222.png

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

I'm unsure what you mean.  I have read the entire policy on how returns work.  This guy is not trying to return all that broken junk jewelry, he's trying to claim I should refund him all of it because USPS left it on his porch.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

Ebay will not let me add the tracking number because the number attached to the package was already marked as delivered by USPS.

You answered exactly what I was wondering.  I should be thankful that this has only happened a few times in 165 transactions.  I just need to anticipate some crazy scenarios and add markup percentage to cover those losses.  With this broken jewelry lot, I only earned about $10 (I think).  The majority of the cost was flat rate shipping charge, which I didn't mark up. 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

This is interesting.  When I spoke to Ebay about the two people who didn't like the item, they said I would either need to pay return shipping or let the customers keep the product.  Neither item was worth the cost of refunding the whole item and then paying to ship it back - there would have been no profit left if I resold it.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@cat31302 wrote:

I'm unsure what you mean.  I have read the entire policy on how returns work.  This guy is not trying to return all that broken junk jewelry, he's trying to claim I should refund him all of it because USPS left it on his porch.

Yeah you will get those buyers on occasion, however if the item was sold for more than $700 it should have had signature confirmation per ebay policy.

Why would ebay not require said confirmation when allowing a seller to buy/print the label?

Perhaps you purchased the label elsewhere?

Who knows...

Also you shouldn't sell trash on ebay, that simply increases your problem buyer numbers.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@cat31302 wrote:

Ebay will not let me add the tracking number because the number attached to the package was already marked as delivered by USPS.

You answered exactly what I was wondering.  I should be thankful that this has only happened a few times in 165 transactions.  I just need to anticipate some crazy scenarios and add markup percentage to cover those losses.  With this broken jewelry lot, I only earned about $10 (I think).  The majority of the cost was flat rate shipping charge, which I didn't mark up. 

When you say will not let you add the tracking #........do you mean to the CASE that was opened?........

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

The buyer filed that they did not receive the item through Ebay and added the note below.  The sale, including flat rate shipping was $31.76 total.  How do I add the tracking again to show the customer it was delivered?  I get the error below that it was delivered and I can't re-add it.

cat31302_1-1712497420527.pngcat31302_2-1712497465068.png

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Ah..........I see, haven't seen that kind of case layout before.............  You should be fine.....

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@cat31302 wrote:

This is interesting.  When I spoke to Ebay about the two people who didn't like the item, they said I would either need to pay return shipping or let the customers keep the product.  Neither item was worth the cost of refunding the whole item and then paying to ship it back - there would have been no profit left if I resold it.

It depends on the exact reason chosen by the buyer in the return.  Several choices are remorse (didn't like) and others fall under not as described.   If they used a remorse reason, your return policy requires the buyer to pay the shipping.   Not as described reason will require you to pay if you want the item back.  I based my answer on you saying they didn't like the item, but I really need to know exactly how the buyer filed.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply