cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer Mad about Signature Confirmation on a $390 order............???

Vintage lego set, discontinued since 2002.  Sold for $390 with tax/shipping, etc.  We used signature confirmation on this order.  Evidently, UPS has left 3 notices for this Buyer.

Recd an email today letting me know what an Appaloosa Horse's Patoot  we are for requiring a signature.  When I offered to have it routed to her office/place of business, the "reply" was that they (wait for it) "work from home".......................

Should we just redact the shipment and move on?  Not willing to get scammed (AGAIN) on another HV lego set that is discontinued.  

9 days until Santa comes......................9 Days until Santa comes.....................9 Days.........................!!  🎅

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Customer Mad about Signature Confirmation on a $390 order............???

Buyer didn't read and is now pouting?  Maybe I'm mercenary, but no pouting fit is worth losing out on an item I wanted badly enough to shell out almost $400 for.  Cripes, if I'm not home for a signature, I have to find time off work and drive 30 miles round trip to the UPS place to sign for the package, and I would still do it.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 51
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

I think it has been a great deterrent for us - with Fedex and UPS, we have adult signature required and if over $500, we have that individual that ordered, sign for the item.

It is stated twice in the listing - all caps and underlined.

This is the first time I can ever remember a buyer complaining - and we offered to have UPS work with them on delivery, accommodate their schedule.

They just do not want to sign for the item they ordered.  To us as a Seller, that is a red flag.  Even on AZ, they are requiring signature on items over a certain value and today we signed for a $140 order with Pandora.  

And don't worry - it is not MY money being used for the Sig Confirmation.  For orders like these, it is built right into the handling fee.

4.jpg

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

You did what you have to do as a business and protect yourself.  In the end it is also protecting the customer.  If they don’t want protection then unfortunately there isn’t a sign on the dotted line to forfeit that option.  So the only recourse is protection.  It is an inconvenience I understand, but usually all you have to do is sign the slip left behind and stick it back on your door for the next day delivery.  

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

@pcobra93 wrote:

But you would not hesitate to then file a INR case if it disappeared from your porch....Anything over $200 gets a SIG on my stuff and I have never had a complaint. After having a couple stolen and Ebay siding with a buyer you learn real quick.

$201 to $749 ... What are you going to gain from signature confirmation vs.  regular tracking?

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 19 of 51
latest reply

So, if a buyer opens an INR case, and there's tracking showing the package was delivered, you believe you could legitimately open an INR case if the package was stolen from your porch?

My understanding here has always been quite the opposite.  

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

@pcobra93 wrote:

But you would not hesitate to then file a INR case if it disappeared from your porch....Anything over $200 gets a SIG on my stuff and I have never had a complaint. After having a couple stolen and Ebay siding with a buyer you learn real quick.

$201 to $749 ... What are you going to gain from signature confirmation vs.  regular tracking?

Seller chooses the shipping method right? Seller is the one responsible if a package is damaged in shipping or is lost, right?

Maybe the seller is doing what they see as proper for them, to get the item delivered as they are responsible to do. Maybe the idea is, with all the porch pirate cases, the seller is just trying to assure the buyer actually gets their package. 

Message 21 of 51
latest reply

@katzrul15 wrote:

Vintage lego set, discontinued since 2002.  Sold for $390 with tax/shipping, etc.  We used signature confirmation on this order.  Evidently, UPS has left 3 notices for this Buyer.

Recd an email today letting me know what an Appaloosa Horse's Patoot  we are for requiring a signature.  When I offered to have it routed to her office/place of business, the "reply" was that they (wait for it) "work from home".......................

Should we just redact the shipment and move on?  Not willing to get scammed (AGAIN) on another HV lego set that is discontinued.  

9 days until Santa comes......................9 Days until Santa comes.....................9 Days.........................!!  🎅

A buyer CAN have UPS hold the package at a terminal or whatever, so they can come get it at their convenience and sign for it. I know FedEx allows the receiver to redirect the package to another place like Walgreens to pick up and sign, unless the shipper specifically doesn't allow it. 

The buyer doesn't seem too smart or too motivated to get their items.  You did nothing wrong IMO. 

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

Well....it eliminates the possibility of a porch pirate. Even if Ebay sides with me that it was delivered because tracking shows that....the customer is PO'd....so my take on it is that I am looking out for BOTH of us and so BOTH of us end up happy. It is simply a risk/reward situation and I tend to error on the safe side. I have never had a customer upset that they had to sign for it and I am always shocked when I do not have to sign when a package is delivered to me.

Message 23 of 51
latest reply

You did the right thing by sending signature confirmation. Just let it ride out. If they don't pick-up, it should be returned to you. 

A signature at delivery is better than just delivery confirmation by tracking number. 

Buyer will pick it up if they really want it! Might be just trying to shake you for a partial refund. Buyer states they work from home, so there should not be an issue answering the door along with tracking their $390 purchase thru the shipping process to make sure when it is out for delivery. 

I would tell the buyer that you shipped with signature required for safe delivery for them and you. Too many porch pirates this time of year and basically year-round these days. 

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

I believe it would be a stronger case to protect the seller should the buyer try to open a case that states either never received, someone stooled it off the porch, and the last play some will play is filling with their C.C. that they don't recognize purchase.

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

I believe it would be a stronger case to protect the seller should the buyer try to open a case that states either never received, someone stooled it off the porch, and the last play some will play is filling with their C.C. that they don't recognize purchase.

It's no stronger a case with s.c. Seller protection (at this pricepoint) requires delivery confirmation only. 

Of course the seller is allowed and perfectly within her right to add s.c. but it won't help in the case of INR, nor will it cost the seller should the buyer subsequently open a chargeback. With tracking showing delivery, ebay will back the seller. (Granted, the funds will be tied up for a few days but the seller will win.)

And a chargeback for not recognizing the transaction will also go in the seller's favor assuming the seller followed policy. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 26 of 51
latest reply

I disagree! 

Why not as a seller spend a few extra bucks for signature (secure safe delivery) rather than a buyer opening a case? The time the seller will spend trying to fight the claim, calling eBay C.S., or communicating with C.S. through Facebook will cost the seller more time & labor than just using the signature required. 

I had an item that I purchased on eBay this year, and it showed delivered. I work from home and watch my tracking for delivery. The item was not here. The USPS person delivered to the wrong address. Thankfully there are still great people out there. The person who received it, actually drove to my home and dropped it on my porch. They never knocked or rang the doorbell, so I was unable to thank them. They could have kept it. I would have lost my INR claim. Item was probably a $20+ value. 

Could you afford paying for a $390 item and it being shipped to the wrong address and tracking shows it was delivered? How would you win with your INR case?

The O.P. did the right thing. Signature Required will save both parties time, labor, & stress, but it seems the buyer wants to play the game.  

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

I had a valuable item sent to me by UPS that required signature.  I fully expected that if I were not home during a delivery attempt I would have to pick it up at the UPS Facility.  Nope, they just left it in the yard.  With Fed X I  often have to go to their location to get a missed delivery.

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

@s.scharmu0 wrote:

HI!

I would have asked you NOT to require my signature.  Since they did not they should NOT be upset about it.

And you would have asked the seller before you committed to buy the item to see if the seller was willing to do so.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 29 of 51
latest reply

I disagree! 

Why not as a seller spend a few extra bucks for signature (secure safe delivery) rather than a buyer opening a case? The time the seller will spend trying to fight the claim, calling eBay C.S., or communicating with C.S. through Facebook will cost the seller more time & labor than just using the signature required.

Seriously? Fighting an INR dispute is trivial if you have the usual proof of delivery. Just upload the tracking number to the dispute and wait for it to be closed in your favor. Not a big deal and no need to call CS.

I had an item that I purchased on eBay this year, and it showed delivered. I work from home and watch my tracking for delivery. The item was not here. The USPS person delivered to the wrong address. Thankfully there are still great people out there. The person who received it, actually drove to my home and dropped it on my porch. They never knocked or rang the doorbell, so I was unable to thank them. They could have kept it. I would have lost my INR claim. Item was probably a $20+ value. 

Yes - but that is the buyer position. If you are concerned about the package being misdelivered then you are free to ask the seller to add Signature confirmation. Expect to pay a little extra for it.

Could you afford paying for a $390 item and it being shipped to the wrong address and tracking shows it was delivered? How would you win with your INR case? 

Again - if that is a concern of yours as a buyer then just ask for SC to be added. Or have the package held at your post office - or get a PO box - you have options.

The O.P. did the right thing. Signature Required will save both parties time, labor, & stress, but it seems the buyer wants to play the game.

The buyer for whatever reason does not seem to be able to collect the package from UPS and for whatever reason did not see the detail in the listing about signature being required. (What does a UPS notice say? Its not like the USPS where you can drive to your post office and collect it or else sign the notification slip to authorize delivery without a signature. Does a UPS notice just say they will be back tomorrow?)

There is no game being played here since they did pay for it and expect to receive it. 

Message 30 of 51
latest reply