cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corporations now asking for disclosure of online eBay Selling business

I'm not sure if this is news or not... supposedly there's been lots of articles about people having multiple jobs making lots of money (and not working very hard at any of them from what I read).

At my work we have a "code of conduct" to fill out, it's pretty standard, how to deal with things like gifts, keeping information confidential, and making sure your family goes through the proper channels to do things if they are customers of ours.

New this year, they have said we have to disclose any:

1. Job working for another business

2. Owning your own business

3. Ad hoc online business (like eBay selling).

They did previously ask about working for somewhere else... but in 2008 when I was hired, I was told if it's not for one of their customers or in the same industry, they don't care. At some point a few years ago (like during COVID) they started to care and people who work as hairdressers on Saturdays had to disclose it. My supervisor knew of the online selling but told me I had to disclose it, that was 2 years ago. (So I did, I work for a brick and mortar store, and the items I sell are mostly for them).

What I'm interested in knowing about is why they think it's their business to get disclosure on sellers who have a part time eBay gig, or sell on FB MP, or the other e, or the River, or any of those, why does it matter? We're not allowed to do "other business" on our work computers or during work time, so if we're not doing that, why does it matter?

The way it was written it sounds as if even if you only make $25-50 a week from time to time, you still have to disclose you're doing it. They also expect you to disclose it later if you aren't doing it today, but start doing it before the next disclosure form comes out.

I'm only asking because if our company does it, surely many others are too. Would like some input from other people on the subject, since I'm sure it's come up in many online articles in the past couple of years, but this seems to be a new requirement since the COVID situation.

C.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Corporations now asking for disclosure of online eBay Selling business

I work for a municipal government and we are required to disclose all outside income. They are primarily looking for things that could present a conflict of interest but I dutifully declare sales from online marketplaces. We also have to attest we are not using city property to generate this extra income. 

-C

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

@sin-n-dex 

At my work we have a "code of conduct" to fill out, it's pretty standard, how to deal with things like gifts, keeping information confidential, and making sure your family goes through the proper channels to do things if they are customers of ours.

I've worked in many fields (Sales/Communications/For-Profit Fundraising/Public Relations/TV Broadcast) and may have filled out such a form upon hire, but not annually. 

I'm only asking because if our company does it, surely many others are too.

I'm leaning that either 1) your work and my work must be very different - or- 2) it's just us good ol' boys in Nashville. 😉

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

The above poster works for a city government so there may be some basis for needing the data. But a corporation? That seems more like an invasion of privacy. Curious what others have to say. Thanks for posting @sin-n-dex —haven't heard of this.

The only thing that comes to mind about the purpose of such a demand is the business is trying to keep a handle on those who may be using company resources for personal gain, or theft of company-owned property ending up on online marketplaces.

I know my spouse’s company regularly examined online selling sites for evidence of company-branded goods. (I know of a couple of employees who were let go for selling company-provided iPads on eBay.)

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Yeah, I would disagree. If I am NOT on the clock for the company I work for, it is none of their business. They don't own me on my time. That's an invasion of privacy. An eBay business? Big deal for any company or even the Feds. I worked for the Federal Gov't for over 33 years. I was by the book while on their time, but they didn't own me on my time.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

I've been selling online since 2008 and my first two years of doing eBay/Amazon, I worked for the Dept of Defense (retired 25 yrs).  I had to disclose that I was selling online & that I wouldn't use any Gov time or computers to do so while on the DOD job.  This was 2008-2010.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

It may go back to COVID days, when a lot of people starting working from home.

Some found they could do 2 full time jobs, 8-5, working from home.  One company didn't know about the other company.    There were several articles on how to do it. 

I think what has come out of it is not so much nosiness as ensuring they are getting the hours of work they are paying for.

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Seems they simply want it 'disclosed' because Many are 'full of beans' when it comes to what they REALLY do. 

This way, they can 'research it themselves and determine if what you state is what you state. 

Why can they do this?

Because they can as MOST jobs are Not Contracted and can 'end' at ANY moment. 

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

I'm not sure if this is news or not... supposedly there's been lots of articles about people having multiple jobs making lots of money (and not working very hard at any of them from what I read).

They did previously ask about working for somewhere else... but in 2008 when I was hired, I was told if it's not for one of their customers or in the same industry, they don't care. At some point a few years ago (like during COVID) they started to care and people who work as hairdressers on Saturdays had to disclose it. My supervisor knew of the online selling but told me I had to disclose it, that was 2 years ago. (So I did, I work for a brick and mortar store, and the items I sell are mostly for them).

What I'm interested in knowing about is why they think it's their business to get disclosure on sellers who have a part time eBay gig, or sell on FB MP, or the other e, or the River, or any of those, why does it matter? We're not allowed to do "other business" on our work computers or during work time, so if we're not doing that, why does it matter?

The way it was written it sounds as if even if you only make $25-50 a week from time to time, you still have to disclose you're doing it. They also expect you to disclose it later if you aren't doing it today, but start doing it before the next disclosure form comes out.

I'm only asking because if our company does it, surely many others are too. Would like some input from other people on the subject, since I'm sure it's come up in many online articles in the past couple of years, but this seems to be a new requirement since the COVID situation.

C.

@sin-n-dex is this something that is only in the company code of conduct or other internal policies or is it 

part of their HR/payroll/tax obligations?

The IRS made significant changes to the W4 form (used to determine withholding) in 2020, which would line up with your timeline, and the most significant changes had to do with requirements to list side gigs and other employment/sources of income to "improve the accuracy of withholding."

https://www.paychex.com/articles/payroll-taxes/2020-w4-changes

What Other Income Must be Accounted For?
This step is the most significant change from previous W-4s, and it calls for employees to account for money earned from other jobs, as well as a spouse’s salary. This step will enable an employee to get the most accurate amount to withhold, and there are several options to take.

Employees should only do one of the options, which include using the IRS Withholding Estimator (most accurate) or the Multiple Jobs Worksheet (roughly accurate). Self-employed individuals also should use the estimator

The employees who would complete this step include those who hold more than one job at a time or are married and filing jointly (and the spouse works). The filer would then complete steps 3 to 4(b), and to get the most accurate withholding it should be done for the highest-paying job.

More info:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/improved-tax-withholding-estimator-helps-workers-target-the-refund-they...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/faqs-on-the-2020-form-w-4 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@postcardcountry wrote:

It may go back to COVID days, when a lot of people starting working from home.

Some found they could do 2 full time jobs, 8-5, working from home.  One company didn't know about the other company.    There were several articles on how to do it. 

I think what has come out of it is not so much nosiness as ensuring they are getting the hours of work they are paying for.

I think that's the reason they're asking. I know when I was hired if it wasn't a conflict of interest (I was selling jewellery at a local market, they didn't care about that and I didn't have to disclose that). I was told the reason they want to know who you work for is if the company is a customer. They also want to know if you're related or dating anyone in the company (there are lots of family members that work in our offices, it's actually very common... I'm one of the few people that didn't get a referral from a family member, I went in as a temp and got hired). I kind of get that, they don't want family members working together on the same projects.

But this year they were very specific that eBay selling counts as something that needs to be disclosed. Last year they just asked generally speaking if there was something to disclose (and last year I was told by my supervisor to write down the name of the shop I work for).

C.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

C.

@sin-n-dex is this something that is only in the company code of conduct or other internal policies or is it 

part of their HR/payroll/tax obligations?

The IRS made significant changes to the W4 form (used to determine withholding) in 2020, which would line up with your timeline, and the most significant changes had to do with requirements to list side gigs and other employment/sources of income to "improve the accuracy of withholding."

https://www.paychex.com/articles/payroll-taxes/2020-w4-changes

What Other Income Must be Accounted For?
This step is the most significant change from previous W-4s, and it calls for employees to account for money earned from other jobs, as well as a spouse’s salary. This step will enable an employee to get the most accurate amount to withhold, and there are several options to take.

Employees should only do one of the options, which include using the IRS Withholding Estimator (most accurate) or the Multiple Jobs Worksheet (roughly accurate). Self-employed individuals also should use the estimator

The employees who would complete this step include those who hold more than one job at a time or are married and filing jointly (and the spouse works). The filer would then complete steps 3 to 4(b), and to get the most accurate withholding it should be done for the highest-paying job.

More info:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/improved-tax-withholding-estimator-helps-workers-target-the-refund-they...

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/faqs-on-the-2020-form-w-4 

I'm in Canada, so the above doesn't apply. One of the rules that came out of COVID is that we were not allowed to leave Canada with work property and do our jobs from outside of Canada (including the US), and THAT was tax related and related to work visas and such.

They didn't ask me how much I make at my other gig, but I actually haven't seen this year's form yet. I did the code of conduct and checked off the "something to disclose" box and was told I'd get an email with instructions (like a form), to fill out. If it varies from last year I'll come back and share, but last year they just wanted to know "what is it you do" and "how are you going to ensure it doesn't interfere with your work for us".

On my form I stated that I worked for a B&M store selling their goods, I put what hours I work on it, and stated I had my own laptop, software, printer, etc, to do my duties for the shop. (And it is mine, the shop will not provide equipment for my home, but they will lend a computer if I needed to borrow one for a while). That was the limit on what they asked, but I expect this year's form will be a bit different.

C.

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

I wonder if it could also have to do with if you are injured or become ill at some point in your life. May have to do with the sickness and disability insurance plan  that your company has. 

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

I work for a very large corporation, and we are only required to disclose business interests or personal relationships that would be a conflict of interest, or a potential conflict of interest.

I can absolutely see why a brick and mortar retail store would want to know who is selling on eBay. Employee theft is a big thing, and if things come up missing, they should look on eBay to see if anyone is selling them.

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Could by much anything folks mentioned and more.

I read an article short time back towards what @powell-memorabilia said about retail theft and tell ya' what its not just "it fell out the back door" but literally happening at the registers.  For example customer has question about an item brought to the register, say an electronic.  Call that dept up comes an associate answer the questions, whilst another person distracts the cashier and off they go with the item.  The associate saying, "Oh I thought it was paid for."

It was amazing some of the theft scams happening in retail.  As I said in another thread went to Walmart few weeks back get a few Chicken Pot Pies.  Figured as long I was there I'd get a pack of underwear only to find it locked away as if it were Solomon's Gold.  I mean the entire isle like the Fort Knox of men's underwear!

So an associate opens it and I choose my treasure toss it in the shopping cart only for this female associate to grab it back out as if I were going to run off with the Crown Jewels.  Yeah, I was shocked alright only to be told it'd be waiting for me at a numbered terminal checkout.

With all the horse-hockey going on in theft on all sides the equations I'd not at all be surprised if a year from now a Walmart associate is going to want to sniff my shoes to make sure they are not hot off the shelf.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@jettshutt wrote:

I've been selling online since 2008 and my first two years of doing eBay/Amazon, I worked for the Dept of Defense (retired 25 yrs).  I had to disclose that I was selling online & that I wouldn't use any Gov time or computers to do so while on the DOD job.  This was 2008-2010.

Yeah, that's standard and always has been. My father works as a contractor for the government sometimes and he's not allowed to do any sort of other work while on the clock for the government.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply