cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

China has just started an aggressive campaign to flood fake coins on US eBay.

First let me start by saying, yes, I know China sellers have sold counterfeit coins on eBay for years. Yet, what I have recently noticed is a proliferation in the number of NEW sellers located in China selling the same types of counterfeit coins, such as key-date Morgan silver dollars. Examples: 1888-S uncirculated $42.50 BIN or BO. Same for 1883-S, 1884-S, all CC dollars, etc. Most of these China sellers with say, 40-50 FB have about a 50% FB rating, yet eBay does nothing. Just an FYI, as if you buy or sell coins on eBay you should be concerned and report as many as possible, since some here have stated you only get attention by the number of people reporting on any item. Last words - don't attack me as an OP. I couldn't care less. I care about eBay and legit sellers like myself. If my post doesn't do anything for you, that's great! Have a super day.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Fake coins and bullion have been a thing for quite some time. Disturbing? Absolutely. But in the end the buyer should have some responsibility or at least take some responsibility.  As a buyer of bullion occasionally, I have scales and testers. I don't care who it is that tells me it's real, I verify it myself. Coin buyers should be no different. Yes, the equipment cost a fair sum of money, but one or two fakes could easily cost that much. I know for certain, nothing I own is a fake. I know nothing I will pay for is a fake. 

Anyone saying they can't afford test equipment, can't afford to collect then either. China is well known for fakes, but authentic stuff can be had there too. Not saying it's easy to find in that situation or that it's acceptable so many fakes come from there, but what is eBay supposed to actually do? They do not inspect the items sellers sell, so what can they really do? Buyers need to protect themselves. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

I would think the US mint  or goverment would have to criminally press charges on them for counterfit.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

LIke so many things detrimental to this country now, the Feds don't seem too concerned.  They actually expedite a lot of it by not searching packages from China.  Ebay does have some policing going on, but they just pop back up.   China is counterfeiting slabbed coins.   People need to understand other than occasional loss leader from a large bullion company, NO ONE is selling silver under spot.  Period.   

The coin chatter says facebook will not police its listings so if you want to sell some fake coins head over there.  

And why is China still considered a 'developing country' by the UPU?  Are they referring to ethics or economies?

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I suppose an added complication is buyers of the Chinese coins selling them on. So some buyers will feel safe as their items are not coming from China.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up. These sellers your talking about seem to fluctuate in and out. There are times like know when they seem to be all over the coin category then it will slow way down. I do know with enough members reporting ebay will remove the listings. But it takes more than a couple members to get the listings shut down. The long time sellers seem to get tired of reporting them only to see them pop back up in a few months. Years back they would get bounced pretty quick. You would have sellers confronting them directly thru messages. Today that is against the rules. This is one of the biggest reasons i stick to certified coins only. Very rare for me to purchase a raw coin. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Contact the Secret Service. Counterfeit coins are their responsibility. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

As @4pawsup* points out Third Party Certified coins is the likely solution. Just as it has been for sports collectibles and autographs.

Counting on the government or Ebay to keep the marketplace clean is dreaming.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

They are well known for fakes.   But it's really taken a turn for the worst.   Even the Chinese can trust buying from china.

According to what Bloomberg News describes as a US intelligence report, Chinese authorities discovered that some of their missiles’ fuel tanks were filled with water – and that this was a marquee example of corruption whose unraveling led to Chinese President Xi’s recent military purge.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

As @4pawsup* points out Third Party Certified coins is the likely solution. Just as it has been for sports collectibles and autographs.

Counting on the government or Ebay to keep the marketplace clean is dreaming.

Trust me they have gotten pretty good at counterfeiting the certification segment and putting it in a case with the coin. One of the bigger problems is the coins have been so widely proliferated they are not just coming out of China. I have several which of course I go refunded for and the seller never got the item back since it is a violation of federal law and USPS policy to send counterfeit anything through the mail. 

If one had the resources you could do some financial harm to the seller by ordering several thousand of the coins and once received file a NAD  or chargeback with your CC company, you would be fully refunded, seller would be out FVF's and the cost of the shipping. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I would think the US mint  or goverment would have to criminally press charges on them for counterfit.

The US justice system arresting and placing a Chinese seller living in China on trial?? I would imagine the Chinese government would support that for sure. What they should be doing is prosecuting eBay for allowing the illegal sale of counterfeit merchandise. 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

but what is eBay supposed to actually do? 

I know what they'd do if they caught ME selling a fake pair of tennis shoes.

And, I have a hunch what they'd do if they caught me doing it two or three times a week ... knowing that many got thru without getting caught.

What I wanna know is ... why don't they treat the China sellers the same as they do me?

How much of eBay's stock is owned by China?  Or China investors?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@greatmidwestcoin ,

Just curious how can one tell the coins are fake other than they are from Chinese sellers? Posting on here might prevent someone from getting taken.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@deltilogical ,

‘’Because there are still many parts of rural China that is not very developed.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

It's been several years since I subscribed to "Coin World" publication.   But I remember 

reading about Chinese fakes.

A quick search of "Coin World Chinese Fakes"   in Google brings up a rather comprehensive 

list of articles on the subject dating back 15-20 years.   

Message 15 of 18
latest reply