cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charged sales tax on eBay branded shipping supplies?

Hi All,

Just used my coupon code to purchase my "free" eBay branded shipping supplies.

I was charged sales tax on the full amount.

Did everyone get charged sales tax regardless of your state of residence?

I thought eBay would not begin charging and collecting sales tax until January.

Do the eBay shipping supplies get shipped from a seller in Kentucky?  (I am in Ohio).

BJ

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Charged sales tax on eBay branded shipping supplies?

@anthonyd46 wrote:
Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: CT(6.35%), KY(6.0%), NV(4.6%), VA(4.3%), WA(6.35%).

I've never been charged before I guess this is new.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^^^^^^^^ See above States listed.

As I stated I am in Ohio ~ not one of the above states noted in the listing.

Other people are now reporting they were also charged sales tax, including buyers in CA, GA, NY and more.  See ecommercebytes Marketplace News blog for details.

BTW, I have absolutely no problem paying sales tax when it's legally charged.  

Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I would guess Ebay is charging sales tax for any State with tax where the Shipping Supply provider has a nexus.

Just like resellers are supposed to charge sales tax when they dropship from companies with nexi? in multiple States.

I don't mind (well not much) paying ST where the seller has a nexus in my state, but according to what the seller has in the listings, this appears to be collection of "Use Tax" and that is supposed to be collected and remitted by ebay isn't it?

The only reason I say ebay should pick up the sales tax by allowing it to be included in the coupon amount is to be fair (hahhahha- cough cough - sorry) to ALL sellers.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I don’t have a store so I can’t look at the listings. However if the packaging company has a store or warehouse in your state they are required to collect taxes.

i didn’t think EBay was collecting marketplace facilitator sales tax yet?

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth

You don't need a store to view the listings or purchase the items.

https://www.ebay.com/str/ebay-Shipping-Supplies

The listing says: Seller charges sales tax for items shipped to: CT(6.35%), KY(6.0%), NV(4.6%), VA(4.3%), WA(6.35%).

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

@anthonyd46 wrote:

So much for "Free". The thing I ordered (100 bubble envelopes) were $24.99 usually that would be free, but now its $1.59 because of the tax thing. Still a good deal, but when I order free shipping supplies from USPS I don't get charged a thing.

Well, if you're a US citizen (and pay your taxes) you're getting charged for  the wages, benefits, healthcare, and pension plans of the federal employees who warehoused, processed, and shipped those 'free' supplies to you or your local PO. There's no such thing as a free lunch...😊

I'm in NY and just used my coupon, no sales tax was charged to me.
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

I don't buy or use ebay branded shipping supplies. Some of the shipping supplies I use are free.😀

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

I noticed a discrepancy on the tax as well.  Shipping to the SAME address under my wife's name was 25 cents cheaper.  I input a family member's address in Toledo, Ohio and the tax fell in between.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Funny you say that. A while back we noticed my dauughter was being charged ST but I wasn't even though the ship to address was the same. Then suddenly for a few months more neither of us were charged ST and starting Sept we were again.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

They are exempt under Wisconsin law, but I was still charged tax on them.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@mrosurplussales wrote:

Me to. I guess it is 50 states wide.

49 states tops.  The only thing we have sales tax on here in Oregon is weed, and the dispensaries work that into the price.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 26 of 28
latest reply

Since ebay is providing the FREE supplies, and there is NO charge to us sellers, ebay  should also cover the tax.  Sellers are NOT being charged the money, ebay is.  What's going on here, is really wrong.  What about sellers who are tax exempt?

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

Only because the USPS hasn't thought of it yet.  They are great at screwing us, just give them a little more time...

Message 28 of 28
latest reply