cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in Ebay Buyer Guarantee?

I had thought the ebay guarantee.......here:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

covered items listed on .com with some exceptions as stated........

Now I see this:

Coverage:
Read item description or contact seller for details. See all details
(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

instead of the guarantee on stuff from China, like this listing:

I also see it on some items that are designated and shipped from US warehouses.....and a poster (with US id) has stated he ships from such a warehouse but some (not all) of his items, lack the guarantee also.

What's up?  How come some items seem to be opted out of the guarantee.......WHY?

@Anonymous

Message 1 of 181
latest reply
180 REPLIES 180

Re: Change in Ebay Buyer Guarantee?

Remember folks. There's a "returns accepted" box you can tick under "Show only" on the left when browsing ebay. I might suggest using that to find sellers that accept returns, if you absoultely must buy something this weekend. At least until we can hear something more concrete and official that is.

Message 91 of 181
latest reply

I can assure you this is a glitch, site-wide.  If you're concerned to the point of not making purchases then I suggest you look at sellers that accept returns and check each seller's feedback very carefully.

There is no way ebay tossed out the Money Back Guarantee without notice.  And, btw, ebay never, or rarely ever ever, gives any notification about glitches or system errors.  

You won't "hear anything official."  Sometime on Tuesday, we fervently hope, someone fixes this.  Sellers are beyond upset that this is happening.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 92 of 181
latest reply

@kithylin wrote:

Remember folks. There's a "returns accepted" box you can tick under "Show only" on the left when browsing ebay. I might suggest using that to find sellers that accept returns, if you absoultely must buy something this weekend. At least until we can hear something more concrete and official that is.

Why punish sellers for an eBay glitch?

You've always had a "money back guarantee". It's called a PayPal payment funded by a credit card and it has been since eBay started accepting electronic payments.

On top of that, you have payPal buyer protection for 180 days.

C'mon, people... the MBG isn't the only thing between you and catastrophe whether a seller takes returns or not. Don't punish the seller.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 93 of 181
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@kithylin wrote:

Why punish sellers for an eBay glitch?

You've always had a "money back guarantee". It's called a PayPal payment funded by a credit card and it has been since eBay started accepting electronic payments.

On top of that, you have payPal buyer protection for 180 days.

C'mon, people... the MBG isn't the only thing between you and catastrophe whether a seller takes returns or not. Don't punish the seller.

Correctomundo!

The MBG is just an extra layer of buyer protection,  Smiley Wink , makes IT look like ebay cares. 

MBG works like IT should for INRs, not so great for SNADs.   

Message 94 of 181
latest reply

@kithylin It's a GLITCH........you're still covered.

Check your purchase history, it's even changed on stuff you've bought already (or sold if you're a seller)

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 95 of 181
latest reply

"As well, until they fix it I will never buy from anyone unless they specify a return policy period in the listing. Even if it means paying more I won't buy from sellers without one now. This is just me, but, I would guess most people seeing this change are doing this as well."

I am a HUGE buyer here...and this concerns me a lot................
Message 96 of 181
latest reply

"I would have emergency programmers on this stat....I'm amazed this isn't fixed yet. You get on the phone, you call up the head programmer, he certainly has remote desktop, you get somebody to fix it immediately. Not funny stuff. Buyers are going to balk and just watch and not buy. Serious money you're not going to make this weekend ebay. "

It's called a 'patch' takes about a minute....or you just segue back to 1.1.....
Message 97 of 181
latest reply

Add me to the list of sellers affected by this glitch.

This will pretty much destroy any traction you may have had with your upcoming June 4 TV campaign.

Way to shoot yourself in the foot, eBay.

/facepalm

NoMBG.jpg

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 98 of 181
latest reply

The thing is, how can ebay not know this problem exists? Or do they really say, well meh, somebody take a look at that on Tuesday, my rot log (hot dog) is getting cold! What a cavalier lackadaisical way to not do business. 

Message 99 of 181
latest reply

I have never used eBay Facebook or the eBay for Business Blog, but for those that do, it might be a good idea to let them know what is happening through one of those options.  Also, someone could try an email to the askcommunity address.

I just checked ecommercybytes and there is no mention of this phenomenon, so maybe the majority of buyers and sellers aren't even aware that the MBG is gone!

How much better life would be, if a liar's pants really did catch fire!
Message 100 of 181
latest reply

Oh, they absolutely know about it, but it's incredible it hasn't been addressed. With all the pomp and fanfare over the years about creating the "pleasant buyer experience", they allow something as damning as is to happen. I'm not sure how much it might be affecting my auction sales, as this holiday weekend seems to be a washout anyway, but I'm considering revising my listings just to add a short note that the buyer guarantees are still in place.

Message 101 of 181
latest reply

Hi, all. I, too, saw this morning the whatever no protection phrase. And when you click on the blue line it goes no where. I checked all of my saved Top Rated Sellers, whether they offer no returns or returns, and it affects all of them with the same statement. Not many buyers or even sellers go to the boards so there needs to be an overall Ebay glitch announcement made. Sure, I only have one item listed in my store right now as am re-designing, but at first I thought maybe it only has to do with those offering no returns or those who only offer the 14 day returns. NOT. It is ebay wide no matter your ebay return policy. Am sure glad I don't have a lot of inventory up right now.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 102 of 181
latest reply

@hidy-hoo wrote:

I have never used eBay Facebook or the eBay for Business Blog, but for those that do, it might be a good idea to let them know what is happening through one of those options.  Also, someone could try an email to the askcommunity address.

I just checked ecommercybytes and there is no mention of this phenomenon, so maybe the majority of buyers and sellers aren't even aware that the MBG is gone!

Posted to both Twitter & Facebook ...

I'm ̶p̶r̶e̶t̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ certain the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
Message 103 of 181
latest reply

So...still not fixed. It would seem to be a relatively easy fix....

I was pondering...What if ebay does do away with the 30 day MBG? All escalated requests (cases) would be funneled to Paypal. Let Paypal rules apply. Let Paypal, as the payment processor, deal with all of them. SNAD would no longer matter...under Paypal rules, buyers pay return shipping, regardless of reason for return.

As long as a return request is only a request, ebay walks the buyer through the return flow. Once one of the parties asks ebay to step in, the escalated request (now a case) gets directed to Paypal.

Further random musings...with a seller who followed all ebay procedures recently charged with a ebay seller defect due to a regular, garden-variety Paypal case....and Trinton saying this is normal procedure (NOT).....

Sellers have long complained that hinky buyers get three bites at the money-back apple. This would cut that down to two...regular Paypal dispute and CC chargeback.....

Unknown element is exactly how many buyers will pitch a fit (and stay) or just buy elsewhere....

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 104 of 181
latest reply

I've never used paypal disputes as a buyer before and I looked into it. Compared to what we had as a buyer protection system in ebay, paypal is a -FAR CRY- from that as a buyer.. on buyer protection via ebay before.. ebay always judged in favor of the buyer, no questions asked, and we never had to pay return shipping. Get a free label, send it back, and they force the sellers to pay us back, everyone's happy.

With paypal system.. it's a back and forth discussion. Sellers can try to argue it, try to deny it and try to prevent it from happening (There are -A LOT- of unsavory sellers out there that will fight a return tooth and nail until the bitter end to try and prevent it from happening). And even if returns get accepted through paypal, buyers pay return shipping and we're not re-imbursed for it either.

So if the paypal buyer protection is all we get with ebay.. I say "screw you no way." that's not "buyer protection" in any remote meaning of the word, it's more like "You might get your money back, maybe, if you're lucky."

So unless eBay fixes this and returns the original buyer protection system some time this next week.. guess I'm not buying on ebay ever again.

Message 105 of 181
latest reply