cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in Ebay Buyer Guarantee?

I had thought the ebay guarantee.......here:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

covered items listed on .com with some exceptions as stated........

Now I see this:

Coverage:
Read item description or contact seller for details. See all details
(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

instead of the guarantee on stuff from China, like this listing:

I also see it on some items that are designated and shipped from US warehouses.....and a poster (with US id) has stated he ships from such a warehouse but some (not all) of his items, lack the guarantee also.

What's up?  How come some items seem to be opted out of the guarantee.......WHY?

@Anonymous

Message 1 of 181
latest reply
180 REPLIES 180

Re: Change in Ebay Buyer Guarantee?

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I highly doubt this is anything but a programming error. They can't get rid of the MBG, that would be trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle. But, I don't understand where the wording comes from. When has it ever applied to anything besides things like ebay motors or real estate? 

Best case scenario IT is a programming error,

Smiley Wink

That seems to have started  just before a long weekend when no one will be able to fix IT, errrr, look into the glitch till mid-day Tuesday.  SOP, for some things ebay wants to test, Smiley Wink

Message 76 of 181
latest reply

This is what I see on my listings (if anyone is interested) :

Returns:
30 days money back, free return shipping |  See details

Coverage:
Read item description or contact seller for details.
(Not eligible for eBay purchase protection programs)

I love you forever, Christie! Fly high, precious daughter 1/14/1987-12/20/2016
Message 77 of 181
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom: Yep that's exactly what everyone is seeing all over ebay right now.

And doesn't matter if this is a glitch or not. As of right now us buyers can not be sure that buyer protection works or doesn't work. So now we rely soley on the seller's return policy and hope for the best.

Message 78 of 181
latest reply

@victorjunkman55 wrote:

It's nice you tell us the eBay logo is still there, and that our Items are covered by the ebay MBG, but our Customers see Items are not covered and I believe this is costing us sales. I sure hope something is done soon, I reported this problem to CS last night.

@AnonymousPerhaps the band-aid for the time being would be for eBay to remove the wording "not covered by buyer protections" while they work on the fix to re-install the logo and the correct wording? Mine all read that my buyers are not protected.  

Message 79 of 181
latest reply

@tev4all wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I highly doubt this is anything but a programming error. They can't get rid of the MBG, that would be trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle. But, I don't understand where the wording comes from. When has it ever applied to anything besides things like ebay motors or real estate? 

Best case scenario IT is a programming error,

Smiley Wink

That seems to have started  just before a long weekend when no one will be able to fix IT, errrr, look into the glitch till mid-day Tuesday.  SOP, for some things ebay wants to test, Smiley Wink

I would have emergency programmers on this stat....I'm amazed this isn't fixed yet. You get on the phone, you call up the head programmer, he certainly has remote desktop, you get somebody to fix it immediately. Not funny stuff. Buyers are going to balk and just watch and not buy. Serious money you're not going to make this weekend ebay. 

Message 80 of 181
latest reply

Technically the current wording is correct. From everything I can understand, buyers are currently -NOT- protected at all, by buyer protection or anything. At the moment we buyers are relying on the sellers to be honest and honor their return policies and that's all we get until this is resolved one way or the other.

Message 81 of 181
latest reply

@kithylin wrote:

Technically the current wording is correct. From everything I can understand, buyers are currently -NOT- protected at all, by buyer protection or anything. At the moment we buyers are relying on the sellers to be honest and honor their return policies and that's all we get until this is resolved one way or the other.

Trinton (eBay employee) said upthread that even though the listings say that, buyers actually ARE covered by the MBG still. This is a display error. Please don't let it deter you from shopping on eBay because of it!

Message 82 of 181
latest reply

Honestly, from the way the buyers' board looks at times, I don't think most people even read or know about the MBG to begin with Smiley Frustrated

Message 83 of 181
latest reply

I don't disagree USMC, though it is different when there is text that specifically says a buyer doesn't have any purchase protection. It especially hurts 'no returns' sellers.

Let's hope they can fix this by Tuesday and that it doesn't have too big of an impact this weekend!

Message 84 of 181
latest reply

Like I've already said in here, that's the word of one random person in a community thread, that appears to be an ebay staff person that may or may not be in any position within the company to even know this for certain. There's no official statement from ebay offically stating that "It works even though the words say otherwise!" So personally.. with my hard-earned money, I'm not going to just throw it at something and hope and pray that this random claimed-to-be-staffer is right and the system still works, even though it clearly says otherwise all over ebay. 

I do wish we could hear an official statement from eBay Inc. about this somewhere.

Message 85 of 181
latest reply

@copper.boom wrote:

I don't disagree USMC, though it is different when there is text that specifically says a buyer doesn't have any purchase protection. It especially hurts 'no returns' sellers.

Let's hope they can fix this by Tuesday and that it doesn't have too big of an impact this weekend!

True indeed.

I don't think this is as much a glitch as it is some sort of convoluted test of some sort. But who really knows...

Message 86 of 181
latest reply

@usmc*usnmom wrote:

@copper.boom wrote:

True indeed.

I don't think this is as much a glitch as it is some sort of convoluted test of some sort. But who really knows...

I wouldn't be surprised to find that out, though I certainly hope it's not the case. We're all stuck in limbo until business hours resume. Smiley Sad

Message 87 of 181
latest reply

does anyone know if ebay is working on this glitch & when and if it may be resolved??

Message 88 of 181
latest reply

Nope! A random ebay person on this thread earlier on claimed ebay is working on it. But that's just the word of a random person in the forums. There's no offical word that eBay Inc has even acknowledged this as an issue.

We don't know if or when it will be resolved, it may never be resolved. Buyer protection may be gone forever. Or it may return monday. We just don't know right now.

Message 89 of 181
latest reply

@jbbowers12012 wrote:

does anyone know if ebay is working on this glitch & when and if it may be resolved??

I'm sure Ebay's cracked programmers are right on it, and that it will be resolved  soon.

e24e82a09c69a7b4213fa3bdf46dbff4

Message 90 of 181
latest reply