cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can ebay explain?

Moved back to Europe.

when using a computer a friend gave me, the search is all messed up.

i check what my friends in the US have for sale or sold.

on the the comp, 1 friend has 2 items for sale and none sold.

i search by the user name

i do the same search on the iPad I bought in the US,

she’s got about 20 listed and sold close to 50.

now it explains why my sis could never view/find my items in the past,

she lives in France.

i checked all filters and can assure you nothing limits my search

so what’s up with that?

this is not good news for US sellers doing business abroad.

if an eBay tech is around would like an explanation

thank you.

letoulousain
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Can ebay explain?

"Can ebay explain?"

Yes.

Will they?

Possibly, but doubt it.  ('sides, you probably wouldn't like it, anyway)

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

are both, all,  the computers set to the same delivery address?  i.e. do the US sellers sell to France?  I would set them for US delivery and see what happens.  Also........are you on the US site or the French/EU site when you search? 

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I search on eBay USA 

have tried settings other than default like all items located in US

makes no difference

i do not search from eBay France 

again i go directly to eBay USA, I search from there with my user name of course

by the way have not changed my USA addresses yet

not an issue on my iPad (bought in the USA) but an issue on the French system I am using

see the thing if 1 in Europe searches items to buy in the USA, it shouldn’t b an issue

1 should b able to see all items for a particular USA seller and not only 2 out of 20.

thanks for ur help

letoulousain
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

wrote:

so what’s up with that? 

With all due respect, a lot of people who come here with search issues say they have all the filters set correctly, and it turns out they do not.

Can you send a URL to the search results that you think should be showing your friend's items, but isn't? 

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

so what’s up with that? 

With all due respect, a lot of people who come here with search issues say they have all the filters set correctly, and it turns out they do not.

Can you send a URL to the search results that you think should be showing your friend's items, but isn't? 

Ouch...

said the same thing when my sis couldn’t find my items years ago

will have to work on ur request later

have to do it from 2 different devices

u know I never filter anything

i search by the user name

settings are set on default

unless I want to switch to sold items

i am no computer genius but not blind

i can see what box is clicked on the left side

But i will recheck u never know, i am getting old

will work on this soon

letoulousain
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

It has to do with delivery address. 

Log out of eBay on both devices and search.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

wrote:

It has to do with delivery address. 

Log out of eBay on both devices and search.

What delivery address?

mine?

have not changed anything

still registered in ABQ NM

letoulousain
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

You could post this on the Tech Issues Board, I understand Ebay employees monitor that.

Just a thought.

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Well thought would post here first

thought other sellers might know better than techs

when I get to it will post links “lucky” requested.

a search shouldn’t b that complicated

lets say I am travelling...

should still b able to buy from Europe and have items shipped to my address in ABQ

even if using a different device from a different country, the search should work the same.

I’ve got to figure this out will post on the tech board if necessary

letoulousain
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I believe you. 

Probably, my guess is what is happening is that ebay is looking at your IP address location and deciding what to show you based on relevance. Ebay assumes more than likely that you won't be wanting to pay for the shipping from the US to France, and therefore doesn't show you all the listings. Ebay has openly disclosed they do not show all listings available.

Assuming of course that your friend does ship overseas on all listings, this is my best guess. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

wrote:

I believe you. 

Probably, my guess is what is happening is that ebay is looking at your IP address location and deciding what to show you based on relevance. Ebay assumes more than likely that you won't be wanting to pay for the shipping from the US to France, and therefore doesn't show you all the listings. Ebay has openly disclosed they do not show all listings available.

Assuming of course that your friend does ship overseas on all listings, this is my best guess. 

Will get to the bottom of this.

perhaps am doing something wrong?

ip address shouldn’t make a difference.

i search with this user name regardless of which device I use

have not changed any addresses.

so even if searching and buying from Europe on that other computer, it would b shipped to my address in ABQ NM.

letoulousain
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

I think Ersatz hit the nail on the head.  Ebay has said that it can control what is seen, so maybe based on location, which they can tell, you are just getting limited views. Not really crazy with that idea however. When you sell worldwide, you expect your items will be shown worldwide in their entirety not selectively.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

I know that you said you hadn't changed your address but when you look at the shipping tab in other listings is the shipping set to the US?  Sorry if you have already answered this.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

From the eBay User Agreement:

“We strive to create a marketplace where buyers find what they are looking for. Therefore, the appearance or placement of listings in search and browse results will depend on a variety of factors, including, but not limited to:

buyer's location, search query, browsing site, and history;
item's location, listing format, price and shipping cost, terms of service, end time, history, and relevance to the user query;
seller's history, including listing practices, Detailed Seller Ratings, eBay policy compliance, Feedback, and defect rate; and
number of listings matching the buyer's query.

To drive a positive user experience, a listing may not appear in some search and browse results regardless of the sort order chosen by the buyer.“

Message 15 of 27
latest reply