cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can any long time seller remember this many site glitches .

I've been selling for about 15  years on this id and others on Ebay and can honestly say I have never seen so many glitches on this site. I mean on July 3rd Bob Kupbens apologizes for Technical issues and it seems like technical issues have just multiplied since that announcement .  I know Ebay isn't good at fixing broken things but wow it seems like every day something is broken or redisigned and doesn't work . All those layoffs must have been the whole web design  team.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

I remember back in the day, ebay would just go down.  Alot.

And if ebay did not consider it long enough or site wide, and you had auctions ending, oh well.

Back in the day when I first started selling, I sold coins from a collection I inherited.

I remember one great listing where ebay went down a few hours before it was scheduled to end, and I had to end up selling probably a $100 listing for $10.

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Some site issues have just celebrated their 1 year old birthdays,but worn out outdated overworked equipment you can't expect world class operation from...

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

I read very recently, somewhere in official ebay writings, not here, that a whole new Search engine (?) will start on September 1.   That will be fun.  Not.

However, just because an ebay head wonk said that doesn't mean it will happen.  If it  is true, that pretty much seals my decision about selling here.  Of course, it could be a smashing success and fabulous and everything we've wished for.

Look !  A pig !  Flying past my window !

I think many of the glitches are due to trying to get this catalog/product page thing going.  I don't predict any easing of problems in the near or even distant future.  

Edit:  The twin terrors have gone home after staying here a week and I have a tee time in 50 minutes and it's actually not raining.  Search Shmearch.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Been on since 2004 and no I don't remember this many ......to me it started in Oct 2017  and has gotten worse....altho better in the last 2 wks...tho I don't think they've released much new (except the category snafus) in that time..

I think that's reason, at least some were let go......  A  good many ebay speakers mentioned the problems and more or less said they were working to prevent them......some alluded to "new" job positions they were in or had been added to their previous jobs......

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I remember the site going down but cannot remember so many design errors and things that just don't work I hear they farmed all their web site work overseas and I'm beginning to believe it. They tout themselves at a technology company but I can't imagine any of the large tech companies having all these and not fixing them or taking weeks to fix them.

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

nope, I've been here for 6 years and never had these many problems.
talk about scammers too!
Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

I read very recently, somewhere in official ebay writings, not here, that a whole new Search engine (?) will start on September 1.   That will be fun.  Not.

However, just because an ebay head wonk said that doesn't mean it will happen.  If it  is true, that pretty much seals my decision about selling here.  Of course, it could be a smashing success and fabulous and everything we've wished for.

Look !  A pig !  Flying past my window !

I think many of the glitches are due to trying to get this catalog/product page thing going.  I don't predict any easing of problems in the near or even distant future.  

Edit:  The twin terrors have gone home after staying here a week and I have a tee time in 50 minutes and it's actually not raining.  Search Shmearch.

The last time ebay went down was when they changed the UA to state they wouldn't be "compensating" anyone for outtages etc.

The new search is probably where it will only bring up results that have product pages.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@egnatz1 wrote:

I remember the site going down but cannot remember so many design errors and things that just don't work I hear they farmed all their web site work overseas and I'm beginning to believe it. They tout themselves at a technology company but I can't imagine any of the large tech companies having all these and not fixing them or taking weeks to fix them.

The very shaky English seen in some areas does suggest that coding is being farmed out overseas, followed by no obvious code review or QA testing before release, which leads to such howlers as this recently reported prize of an invoice error message: "There is some technical error, please try after sometime."

Ref: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-error-when-sending-invoices-quot-There-is-some-technical/...

On a more general level, it seems like they're making a common software company error of plowing all their energy into new development and whatever shiny new thing comes along, while simultaneously neglecting support of the stuff that's out there in use now.

It's a variation of the habit of never putting enough money into Customer Support because there's no clear benefit to doing so, in terms of money or return on investment, and so customers face endless hours of listening to music on hold, interspersed with recordings about how important their call is.

In the case of software, a company that's not putting significant effort into bug fixes of the existing software may find itself with a lack of customers for the new stuff. There are at least two reasons for that outcome: the existing product develops a reputation for being unreliable, along with long waits to see if the problem will ever get fixed; and the new code comes out from the same company known for poor maintenance in the past, meaning that it's already got a cloud over it before anyone decides to try it.

Support of the existing product may seem like a zero return on investment, having to pay competent software engineers to maintain a product that's already out there, but failing to do so doesn't enable problems to go away by themselves. It simply magnifies the damage when they occur, because there isn't a team with day-to-day knowledge of current issues or fixes gleaned from experience. Everyone who's off working on the next shiny new thing has to get hauled in at a moment's notice to try to figure out what's gone wrong with the current thing, and thus a problem that might get addressed in hours by people who work with it every day must instead be resolved in days or weeks by people who must start much further down on the learning curve. 

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

Can we honestly call Ebay a software company lol  I honestly think they do not do any Beta testing at all before they just throw things out live.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

@egnatz1 wrote:

Can we honestly call Ebay a software company lol 

Well, yes, in the sense that by process of elimination, there isn't a whole lot else that they are contributing to the sales here. The sellers are doing the photography, listing and shipping work; eBay provides the software marketplace.

@egnatz1 wrote:

I honestly think they do not do any Beta testing at all before they just throw things out live.

Agreed; there's little evidence otherwise. It's baffling, but there you are.

Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Why pay good money for Beta testers when sellers work for free?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I started ebay on Feb 4 1998.    I was using DIAL-UP.   The whole notion of working from home and getting checks and money orders delivered to your mail box outweighed any glitches.    And often when Ebay did go down they would extend your auction by two hours since many folks were using Snipe programs or they would extend an additional day.  We had a free relist day.   When I started there were 375,000 items listed.  Nearly everything sold.    Ebay now has to keep up with millions and millions of items and folks want everything to be instant so glitches I think are to be expected.   Ebay is still the second best thing in town besides our weekend Flea Market so deal with it.

Message 13 of 32
latest reply

I'm not saying things should be fixed instantly what I'm saying is there are bugs that have not been fixed in weeks or even months. There are things introduced to the site that don't work as soon as they are introduced which tells me there has been no A/B testing and no Beta testing . They are throwing things live to the site expecting us to be the beta test group. Thats all well and good but when it effects peoples bottom line thats not good.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:
Why pay good money for Beta testers when sellers work for free?

Heh. Indeed... Smiley Happy But the bigger issue is that once the issues are reported, they continue to go unresolved. It's rare that we get anything concrete in the way of updates on any given thing, either.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply