cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can any long time seller remember this many site glitches .

I've been selling for about 15  years on this id and others on Ebay and can honestly say I have never seen so many glitches on this site. I mean on July 3rd Bob Kupbens apologizes for Technical issues and it seems like technical issues have just multiplied since that announcement .  I know Ebay isn't good at fixing broken things but wow it seems like every day something is broken or redisigned and doesn't work . All those layoffs must have been the whole web design  team.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Can any long time seller remember this many site glitches .

I think the coding has been outsourced to India gets thrown live to the site bugs pop up and since ebay did none of the original coding they have no idea how to fix them. Debugging someone elses code is not fun lol .

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

@egnatz1 wrote:

Debugging someone elses code is not fun lol .

I've done more than my share of that. A zillion years ago now, we had a super-smart, highly-competent engineer whose code was practically impenetrable. For example, instead of a dozen lines of code, he'd come up with one heavily-nested line instead, making it much harder to introduce a minor change later on without inadvertently breaking something else. Instead of using variable names that actually meant something (e.g. "RunLoopCounter"), he'd use short little abbreviated variables that would go unexplained and undocumented ("rlc").

It took a lot of pushback to get him to actually write maintainable stuff, as opposed to quick short things that would run but defy all understanding by anyone else. (I know, I know: job security... Smiley Wink)

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

Deal With It??   Really,  when you are a seller on ebay and you have to pay the fees though ebay, you have maybe thousands of things listed and you get 2 **bleep** sale for a complete weekend.  You know where they can shove their glitches.  

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

@egnatz1 wrote:

I've been selling for about 15  years on this id and others on Ebay and can honestly say I have never seen so many glitches on this site. I mean on July 3rd Bob Kupbens apologizes for Technical issues and it seems like technical issues have just multiplied since that announcement .  I know Ebay isn't good at fixing broken things but wow it seems like every day something is broken or redisigned and doesn't work . All those layoffs must have been the whole web design  team.

Member since 2003 here. You're correct, never seen this many glitches. I have so many work-arounds, I've lost count. Many of the work-arounds take up alot of my time that I can be focusing on growth.

It seems like ebay never beta tests anything. They just partially finish a project and roll it out immediately... letting the feeces hit the fan. There are always the most basic mistakes when ebay rolls something new. Very sad. And why CAN'T we talk with IT departments???? I call CS with other companies too (Stamps.com) and I get their IT dept right away... with remote access even so they can easily see the glitches I see.

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

Ya know, that's a really good point.  Why can't we get to a level past ESL script-readers when trying to describe a tech problem.  All you get is the standard "we'll write a ticket and get back to you."

Think about it.  Almost any other company you call, you get someone who can walk you through or at least understand the problem.  Might take 18 voice prompts but eventually you get there.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 20 of 32
latest reply

Maybe because a transfer to IT would involve international phone bills (for ebay)?
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 21 of 32
latest reply

A simple measure of how are they doing... 100 shares of ebay stock Aug. 15th 2015 $2826.00  100 shares of paypal stock $3425.00   today stocks values ebay $3428.00 paypal $8761.00......

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

@bigdeals.etc wrote:
And why CAN'T we talk with IT departments???? I call CS with other companies too (Stamps.com) and I get their IT dept right away... with remote access even so they can easily see the glitches I see.

Years ago now, that did actually happen here, at least sometimes.

Back around... I dunno, maybe 2005 or so, I remember having to use a captcha login for some kind of eBay process (I have no idea which one now, maybe to open the Sell Your Item form), where you'd be given an image of a 4-digit code that you then had to type in to the password field. (The Ask Seller a Question captcha code is similar, but a bit longer.)

Problem was, one day the captcha image suddenly started sprouting eight digits instead of four, but there was only room for four characters in the password. Mild panic ensued as I couldn't get anything accepted. I sent off a note... someplace on the page... and got back a pretty detailed message from someone identifying themselves as within eBay IT with suggestions on what to do next. I had the problem cleared up within the hour.

A couple of things to note here: I was definitely talking to a someone on the technical side, as the front-line person had routed my message to him or her; and the technical guy had the authority, or permission, or something, to converse directly with me back and forth as needed to get it fixed. These days I have no confidence that a problem report will reach someone without seven layers of intermediaries, and no hope of getting a direct response or dialogue between me and someone who's actually looking at the code.

Now, I know that eBay is serving millions of users, and if they're all trying to beat up the IT people then nothing else will get done. You do have to have a front-line team that will answer the FAQs and filter the incoming stream. But if or when you get someone who sounds like they know what they're talking about and may have useful info to convey, you should be able to let them communicate back and forth with an IT person on your side of the wall if that looks like the best way to get the problem resolved. 

Instead, for many years now, I have a strong sense that there's a near-total blockade on any communication of any kind that doesn't go through Marketing, and thus everything seems to emerge in the same kind of singsong writing style that's full of catchphrases but not necessarily useful dialogue. That's not to suggest that those folks can't write normally, but that they're not allowed to. (My "gin and tonic test" states that if a person can only write clearly after having consumed two Tanqueray and Tonics, that person works for the Marketing department. Smiley Wink) Thus we tear our hair over infuriating and silly goofups, blunders, oversights and omissions that, at any other company, would have been resolved right away, in some cases before they ever saw the light of day.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

IMO, most of the current glitches are being caused by the push to the new product catalog based system.   The current system is really incapable with what they want to be and each time a move is made toward expanding the catalog or preparing for it (and all that goes with it) it blows something up system wide. 

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

Wow that's a great story... it's like a legend now. The day someone actually talked with IT. 

That sounds like a dream when someone with something useful to say is able to speak with IT. I've discovered my share of glitches. Many times I was able to troubleshoot them and find the exact cause despite me sometimes taking up to a year to figure it out. Yes I agree with someone else here who said some glitches have had their one year anniversary and are still kicking strong. 

I honestly believe that there is also an internal disconnect that the front line agents are not allowed to discuss with us. Every time I call my CS concierge to report a glitch and step by step instructions on how to replicate it (as well as explain the amount of damage it's causing), the agent sincerely agrees with me 100% and genuinely feels bad. But the only actions they are allowed to take are creating tickets where IT reads it and dismisses it because of some irrelevant reason... "blame the 3rd party you're using, or it's your cache and cookies fault, etc". So these glitches never get fixed because IT refuses to acknowledge them. All the work I do to convince the agent of the significance of the glitch is like preaching the the choir. Their hands are tied much like ours are. There needs to be at least a better communication channel between the agent and IT. I doubt every agent I spoke with was just humoring me and did nothing after hanging up with me... they aren't that good of an actor.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

gopetersen
Rockstar

I've been around long enough to reember the frequent site crashes, but I don't remember there ever being as many software glitches as I've encountered in the last couple of years (and especially the last three months). They're multiplying like cockroaches.

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Most of these so called glitches are really not that big an issue as many on the boards make them out to be. Some of the glitches are really not even glitches but problems with people's computers and they "think" it's Ebay but it's not. Ebay actually only takes care of glitches that really mean something.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

Most of these so called glitches are really not that big an issue as many on the boards make them out to be. Some of the glitches are really not even glitches but problems with people's computers and they "think" it's Ebay but it's not. Ebay actually only takes care of glitches that really mean something.

I don't agree with this. The site is full of glitches.

The recent multiple-variations glitch is quite serious. If you edit your listing all the pictures and prices may be wiped out. This is not in people's imaginations.

The recent loss of tens of thousands of images received an apology from eBay but sellers still have to spend hours trying to refind and re-upload them. This is not in people's imaginations either.

When eBay was calculating the currency conversion incorrectly, that was a very serious problem and it was not in people's imaginations.

When the Request Total button is ghosted and cannot be used by the buyer to request a shipping total, that's not in people's imaginations either.

When eBay's Catalog populates a listing with the wrong information, that's not in people's imaginations.

When eBay does the Shipping Calculator math wrong and rounds up to the nearest ounce BEFORE adding the quantities (it should be the other way around), that is a very obvious and very serious math mistake and not in people's imaginations.

I could go on for another 15 minutes, but I think that's enough for one post.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

@coolections wrote:

They may not be a big issue but when you start combining them with all the others then they do become a big issue. This doesn't work. That doesn't work. This can't be fixed. That can't be fixed. Oh, we are sorry we lost your photos.

The Recently Viewed is broken and has been broken for at least a month. Yes, not a big deal, but BEYOND ANNOYING when you go in there and see 90+ listings that you know you didn't look at in the last hour!

Turbo Lister won't let you select any country of manufacture past India ... should I just choose China?

Turbo Lister still has the old Return Policy with the box you can fill in with your policy comments ... it is still there .. should I use it?

Seller Hub is a mess of spinning boxes and has so much useless "fluff". Give me a Seller Hub Lite without all that mess.

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

@egnatz1 wrote:

I remember the site going down but cannot remember so many design errors and things that just don't work I hear they farmed all their web site work overseas and I'm beginning to believe it. They tout themselves at a technology company but I can't imagine any of the large tech companies having all these and not fixing them or taking weeks to fix them.

Not too many site errors back then because the design was very simple.  Did not have all the features we do today.

Also, not nearly as many listings.

But as I said unlike now there are glitches but at least the site stays up.  Back then it would just crash.  And this was before buy it nows.  Mainly auctions, and if you did not want to pay for a reserve and ebay refused to reset the clock, you were scr**ed.

Message 30 of 32
latest reply