cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer pay less than the listed price???

I have a new store, a few items listed and have been selling ok. Today, I get a sale and the buyer paid only $1.00 for a $34.24 item? How is that possible? It was not an auction. The price for this item has never been and still isn't $1.00. The buyer now is demanding that I make it right since I cancelled the order on them. I want to know how this happened and how can I get some help with this. I don't want to get negative feedback on something that was not my fault. 

Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

I don't see anything in your sold listings for $1. ?

Message 2 of 71
latest reply

Can you post a screen shot of the sale? I see nothing in your sold items for $1. This is the only sold item I see in the last couple of days. You don't have Best Offer enabled so something else is amiss. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713235367992.png

Message 3 of 71
latest reply

Just a thought ....Did you have promoted listings standard or advanced on the listing ? If so what percentage did you have on it? Because the cost of those will be taken from the sale price as soon as the buyer pays.

Message 4 of 71
latest reply

No, a buyer can't pay less than the listed price unless the seller allows it.

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 5 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold 

I think you may have just viewed the sale incorrectly, not that your buyer actually purchased the item for $1.00.  You can go to your sold items and see there is nothing in there for a $1 sale.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/ord?filter=status:ALL_ORDERS

What reason did you use when you cancelled the order?  This is very important and it is a process you really need to understand so you can avoid hurting the health of your selling account.

It is quite possible that your buyer will neg you.  From what you posted they are pretty upset with you.

Tell us more details.  Look for the order in the link I gave you above.  How much does the Order say it sold for?

You may have just made a mistake here because you aren't use to looking at this information.  So to accurately help you so this never happens again, we need your honesty and the details.  You really need this cleared up so it never happens again or you run the risk of really hurting the health of your selling account.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 71
latest reply

Never seen a post like this before. 

Message 7 of 71
latest reply

I think they are just confused.  I hope none of us make them feel so bad they won't come back for more help in this situation as they need to learn what actually happened.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 71
latest reply

Each of the three coins you've sold has sold for $34.24.

Message 9 of 71
latest reply

Yes, except the one that I cancelled. It showed that the buyer only paid $1.00

Message 10 of 71
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Just a thought ....Did you have promoted listings standard or advanced on the listing ? If so what percentage did you have on it? Because the cost of those will be taken from the sale price as soon as the buyer pays.

With promoted listings (the kind I have), you get the whole amount when the buyer pays less the FVF, and then the promoted ad fee comes off at some point after (might be immediate, might be a day or two later).

The seller would never just receive only $1 even if they made a mistake and put a 99% promotion fee on it.

C.

Message 11 of 71
latest reply

The order says that it sold for $1.00. What other details can I give you so that I can understand how this happened? My first thought was that this had to be some sort of glitch. I've run other stores for my day job, lol, so besides some of the updates, it reads the same. $1.00 was paid and $1.00 was refunded. We tried to call eBay to speak with someone today, but no one answers. I just want to know so that if it was something that we did, that we correct it. What's also weird is all of the other coins that we've been selling have had no issues. Does eBay randomly make offers without our approval? There's no Best Offer on this listing either. Thank you for all of your help 😄

Message 12 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

Yes, except the one that I cancelled. It showed that the buyer only paid $1.00

@havenofgold 

Here's what I think happened... you sent the buyer an offer which you thought would give them $1 off, but eBay took the $1 to be the sale price. If you sent the buyer an offer for $1 and they purchased, in solds (by looking at your sale history) they will only see your listed price of the coin, not the offer the buyer received and paid for.

When I look at my solds, I sometimes see $14.99 on a token I sold for $10. The offers I send out never show up in solds (perhaps there's another way to see that info, I think you can, just not sure how). eBay's app will send you a notification that you sold the item for $1 (and probably in email too), which is where I presume you learnt it sold for only $1.

I believe what you said, I just can't point to evidence to prove that happened.

C.

Message 13 of 71
latest reply

We have 1 listing that is being promoted and have no issues with it. It's not this listing though

Message 14 of 71
latest reply

How could I have sent this buyer an offer without knowing them or having contact with them prior? I'm sorry for my dumb question, I'm just really confused as to the why and how

Message 15 of 71
latest reply