cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer pay less than the listed price???

I have a new store, a few items listed and have been selling ok. Today, I get a sale and the buyer paid only $1.00 for a $34.24 item? How is that possible? It was not an auction. The price for this item has never been and still isn't $1.00. The buyer now is demanding that I make it right since I cancelled the order on them. I want to know how this happened and how can I get some help with this. I don't want to get negative feedback on something that was not my fault. 

Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Can a buyer pay less than the listed price???

Anyone who knows shipscript, or is familiar with their posts, would have realized that comment was tongue-in-cheek. A rather gentle suggestion that the problem is closer to home. PEBCAK, as someone suggested.

Taken out of context, it might take someone aback for a bit. But I don't think that is enough for anyone to take offense unless they are looking to do so.

Message 61 of 71
latest reply

Of course it was tongue in cheek, but what context does a brand new (1) seller have to not take it out of?  And I have no idea what "PEBCAP" is despite years of context, so there's that. 

I realize shipscript probably wasn't aware of this other thread by the same OP, but now with that hindsight it should be apparent they don't understand offers at all ..... 

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 3.21.04 PM.png

..... in fact that ^ makes it seem like they might have never even tried the feature.  I asked if they had, but they seemed to think I meant only for this particular coin, so I asked if they ever used it at all, but by the time they came back they had been told by a CSR that this definitely was a particular kind of scam that the buyer did.   

So if that CSR didn't find the actual problem, then the OP probably still has that listing automated to send $1 offers whether they accidentally set it or it was a glitch.  What they need to do to stop it has nothing to do with talking to their computer.   

Only mentors can participate in Ask A Mentor threads, so I will not apologize for finding it unfortunate to see when one makes a tongue-in-cheek suggestion instead of the MENTORSHIP a scared new seller actually needs.    

"concise" -yeah right.  That suggestion wasn't for the OP; it was for thumbs up.  And everyone reading this knows it.  

Message 62 of 71
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Is this really the level of "help" a new seller should expect in the Ask A Mentor forums? How insulting.

A32E1CFB-83DB-4D57-B392-5CDC579C87FA_1_201_a.jpeg

What? You are basing your opinion of the entire Ask A Mentor board on a PORTION of one post.

Look for "Ask-a-Mentor" here, the ENTIRETY of another post:

ise710_0-1713475904157.jpeg

Talk about misrepresenting

Talk about minimal standards.

Message 63 of 71
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 3.21.04 PM.png

..... in fact that ^ makes it seem like they might have never even tried the feature.  I asked if they had, but they seemed to think I meant only for this particular coin, so I asked if they ever used it at all, but by the time they came back they had been told by a CSR that this definitely was a particular kind of scam that the buyer did.  

The automatic offers option only triggers after you have already sent out an offer-- all it does is send out the same offer you have already sent to any new watchers/repeated viewers. I have mistakenly enabled this option myself and that's how it works.

Message 64 of 71
latest reply

Yes that's why we were trying to figure out if the OP had used offers before.  If they really didn't ever send one for the coin in question, then there definitely had to be a glitch.  But I was hoping to pin them down on whether they had even used the feature for any listings at all, becuse if they had, then it would be more likely they also sent one for this coin but just didn't remember.  If they NEVER used the feature, well then there's no way this could have been their own error, even a forgotten one.  

Message 65 of 71
latest reply

@ise710 wrote:

What? You are basing your opinion of the entire Ask A Mentor board on a PORTION of one post.

Could you please share the portion where the OP was instructed on stopping the automated offers?  

Message 66 of 71
latest reply

@gurlcat, you may be too young to recognize PEBCAK, but google isn't. Nor Shipscript nor myself. Given the likelihood of age discrimination here, I will gently point out that PEBCAK = problem exists between chair and keyboard. It has always been a {{gentle}} way to point out that the issue exists close{r} to home. But not always taken as gentle, sometimes igniting flames, without being intended {and should not be taken} as such. Also pointing out that Shipscript did not use this term; I did, quoting from an earlier responder.

"Only mentors can participate in Ask A Mentor threads, so I will not apologize for finding it unfortunate to see when one makes a tongue-in-cheek suggestion instead of the MENTORSHIP a scared new seller actually needs. "

As a former mentor active from the beginning of the mentor program, but no longer because I felt that mentors should be held to minimal standards of courtesy that the eBay community leader (blue) at the time chose not to agree with, this is hard to argue with.

Never-the-less, I can not agree that Shipscript does not meet the standards of courtesy that should be met. Shipscript has never failed in those standards.

I can agree that some mentors do not meet the standards of courtesy that should be met. But Shipscript is not one of them.

Message 67 of 71
latest reply

Thank you.  As I am not a mentor I don't know what the standards are, that's why I asked.  If there are any, I have no reason to think shipscript has ever failed to meet them before, but that one sarcastic remark with no follow-through ..... I mean the OP could have gotten that out here in the grimy Plebelands, ha.  In fact if I would assume that's why Plebes cannot post replies in the AAM forum.  

Message 68 of 71
latest reply

For the record here, no one scared me away. I genuinely had no idea what was going on and eBay instructed us to take this listing down, but only after a second call to them. We never set it up for offers to be sent to begin with (there's a button to click on for that). Yes, we're newbies, but we're not going to offer something for less than even the shipping. The second CSR stated that something could have glitched during the time it was being listed, (what are the odds), and this CSR stated that this was an eBay issue. It was only an issue with this listing, so there's that as well. I don't mind being called out for something that I did, that's how we learn after all, right?  The first CSR made it sound like it was something nefarious (still could have been), which is why I provided the update. I sincerely thank everyone for all the help with this and am grateful for the community support. It was a lot more than we were initially getting from eBay. Now if I can get my shipping costs down, I'd be golden! 😀 Have a great evening!

Message 69 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

For the record here, no one scared me away. I genuinely had no idea what was going on and eBay instructed us to take this listing down, but only after a second call to them. We never set it up for offers to be sent to begin with (there's a button to click on for that). Yes, we're newbies, but we're not going to offer something for less than even the shipping. The second CSR stated that something could have glitched during the time it was being listed, (what are the odds), and this CSR stated that this was an eBay issue. It was only an issue with this listing, so there's that as well. I don't mind being called out for something that I did, that's how we learn after all, right?  The first CSR made it sound like it was something nefarious (still could have been), which is why I provided the update. I sincerely thank everyone for all the help with this and am grateful for the community support. It was a lot more than we were initially getting from eBay. Now if I can get my shipping costs down, I'd be golden! 😀 Have a great evening!

Didn't other people post here that they got offers from you on this item for $1 after watching it?

That would mean auto offers is enabled on the listing. I don't actually remember how to check that or turn it off, but it turned itself on with about 60 my listings before, I think it's a choice in the active listings tab (to see items with offers set up).

There is also a button to "review offers" and you can see what offers were sent out on your item.

C.

Message 70 of 71
latest reply

The listing has been taken down now, so that should be the end of whatever did happen. I do know that it's not happening on any other listing other than this one.

Message 71 of 71
latest reply