cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a buyer pay less than the listed price???

I have a new store, a few items listed and have been selling ok. Today, I get a sale and the buyer paid only $1.00 for a $34.24 item? How is that possible? It was not an auction. The price for this item has never been and still isn't $1.00. The buyer now is demanding that I make it right since I cancelled the order on them. I want to know how this happened and how can I get some help with this. I don't want to get negative feedback on something that was not my fault. 

Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Can a buyer pay less than the listed price???

No that theory has already been explored in the previous replies. 

Message 31 of 71
latest reply

No this was not done or offered

Message 32 of 71
latest reply

I think what we're going to do for now, 0 the inventory so no one else can do that. At least until we can figure how to avoid this in the future

Message 33 of 71
latest reply

Okay not just talking about the coin in question .... have you EVER used the 'send offer' feature?  

Message 34 of 71
latest reply

The buyer knows a mistake was made and may not bother you again. Block the buyer now and put it on the back burner. See what develops. It may just go away. If it gets worse for you then call or write to eBay and explain what you are saying here. They probably would understand. t may have been a glitch. Choosing the reason for cancelling the order may work against you and get you a defect. Like if you checked "out of stock" you will get a defect on your account. Any reason checked other than "problems with the address" may get you a defect. What reason did you check?

Message 35 of 71
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

Okay not just talking about the coin in question .... have you EVER used the 'send offer' feature?  

Gurlcat is asking this because if you used it once before, you can accidentally set up a recurring offer that will automatically go out without you knowing about it.

C.

Message 36 of 71
latest reply

Hey guys, thank you for all of your help. We were finally able to get someone on the phone at eBay and they said that this was a code that the seller used to complete this sale. They've opened an investigation on this buyer and activated the seller protection protocol. This is a type of hacking. The person that we spoke with said that this type "hack" happened about 3 years ago and they are very aware of it.

Message 37 of 71
latest reply

Gurlcat is asking this because if you used it once before, you can accidentally set up a recurring offer that will automatically go out without you knowing about it.

I made that mistake once, I couldn't figure out why a bunch of things were selling at a discount without me sending an offer or receiving one. Fortunately, is was only 10% off.  You can find those "auto offers" ebay sends out by going to selling hub and using Active listing option. If you have auto offers going out you will see it there with how many are in the program. It appears you have to individually take each listing out of the auto program... at least I couldn't figure out how to bulk edit  the lot of 73 items in the program. Not in my screen shot because I do not have any items in the auto offer program.
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 7.24.57 PM.png

CDM Antiques
Message 38 of 71
latest reply

What is so frustrating is that nowhere (not on the Sold's page, nor the item's order page) does it SAY that the item sold via seller-sent offer.  That has always bugged me, especially the time that I knew dang well I did not send an offer for a certain item that ended up selling way lower than my original price, just like what this OP is seeing.  Everybody commented that I must have done it, but I knew for a fact I never sent any offers for that item, period.  I recall that at least one other seller (maybe more) said they had the same thing happen to them, but our sworn certainties were dismissed.  Now here's a new seller who appears to not have used the feature at all before.  

By the way am I wrong about there being nowhere you can look to see if the item sold via seller offer or not?  I know that looking at the seller's account from the outside is totally useless, because that just shows the original price.  

Here's the item I sold yesterday.  By searcing 'karl lagerfeld necklace bracelet' in Advanced search, it shows this:
Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 9.25.05 PM.png 

And from the point of view of my buyer account, when I go to Gurlcat's Wurld and look at "their" sold listings, again I see:

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 9.14.30 PM.png

But on my own Sold page (from within Gurlcat's Wurld) I see this:

80FCFCE7-A3CA-4F11-AB12-0A4AA18F5CFA_1_201_a.jpeg

And I know that was because I sent out offers for this item, and the buyer accepted it only 5 minutes later.  But if it had been someone who'd waited closer to the 48-hour cutoff, I might not remember if this was my original price or not (because I do offers in batches, for lots of items).  

Message 39 of 71
latest reply

Usually if it sells with an offer it has the line through the price?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 40 of 71
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Usually if it sells with an offer it has the line through the price?

If it was a BUYER-SENT offer then yes, but not a seller-sent one. 

Message 41 of 71
latest reply

Well that's not helpful then.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 42 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold wrote:

Hey guys, thank you for all of your help. We were finally able to get someone on the phone at eBay and they said that this was a code that the seller used to complete this sale. They've opened an investigation on this buyer and activated the seller protection protocol. This is a type of hacking. The person that we spoke with said that this type "hack" happened about 3 years ago and they are very aware of it.

Oh that is such great news, thanks for the update.  I bet you are relieved!  Not only did you get the problem off your back but you know it wasn't your own fault somehow.  

Though I gotta say ..... this "code" thing is a whole new can of worms mystery.  I searched to threads to see if anyone here had ever posted about a 'fake coupon code' 'fake discount code' 'coupon code scam' 'discount code scam', because it seems like if this is a scam going back that far, there should be at least some posts about it here.  But, no results!  

Message 43 of 71
latest reply

@havenofgold 

Yikes!  Thanks for getting back to let us know.

Message 44 of 71
latest reply

I don't know, but we were definitely relieved to know that it wasn't something that we might have done. Scary though. The person we spoke with, was searching through everything and there was nothing that we did. I even asked if we should take the listing down and he said that it wasn't necessary. We reduced the available quantity for that item, jic.  I still don't understand where this code would have been entered though. We'll definitely be paying more attention to stuff in any case. A wake up call for sure. 

Message 45 of 71
latest reply