cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Request Compensation via eBay for Damages Incurred During an In-Person Transaction?

Hey everyone,

I recently encountered a situation the buyer has broken a cable rail during the process of moving a sofa that I gave almost for free (GBP 1), resulting in the need for repairs. As the responsible party for any damages incurred during the move, I'm exploring options for seeking compensation via Ebay.  The buyer is pushing it for me to fix it but we don't have tools neither the time, plus this will require to invest money.

I'm curious if anyone has experience or insights into whether it's possible to request compensation through eBay for damages that happened during an in-person transaction?

I've read through eBay's policies regarding buyer protection, but I'm unsure how they apply to situations like this. It seems they can only block the buyers acct. Any advice or guidance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Can I Request Compensation via eBay for Damages Incurred During an In-Person Transaction?

No, Ebay didn't damage it, they will not pay you because the sofa was damaged while trying to move it.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

No, Ebay didn't damage it, they will not pay you because the sofa was damaged while trying to move it.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 27
latest reply

Can you refund and cancel the transaction?  

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Still trying to understand - was the buyer or seller the party that damaged the item during an in person, local delivery? Those are the only two parties involved in the transaction. Which of the two did it, they are responsible. No one else.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

EBay will not pay for this in any way. 

If the cable rail is part of the couch, then simply cancel the sale and refund what the buyer paid. You don't have to fix the couch. It's the same as if a vase is broken in the mail. You don't have to fix the broken couch, just like you wouldn't have to fix the broken vase. You just have to refund the buyer.

If the cable rail is part of the truck the buyer used, then you are not responsible for repairing his truck.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I guess I'm not sure what the heck a cable rail is?  From Goggle looks to be part of a deck or porch?  So seller has no need to refund.  Just take responsibility and do their own repairs.   

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@andreinpele0 

No. eBay in no way will grant you compensation for the item that was damaged, as eBay didn't damage it.  I would cancel the transaction and refund the buyers money.  Sorry.  

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@andreinpele0 you say the buyer broke this cable rail, so I assume the BUYER is responsible for repairing it? Why would Ebay be responsible? That is just an ecommerce platform used for the transaction.

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

OP is in Germany..............if he's serious about the question, should ask on the German site (assuming it happened there)....laws could be different..........

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

Seller is in Germany so there is some room for interpretation.   Does this sound right?  If they 'gave' the sofa away 'almost for free' they were likely more interested in having the eyesore carted away by someone else than paying an extra fee to have it removed as bulk garbage.

EBay would go out of business as folks needing home repairs would sell items for pick up and then claim damage and send eBay the bill. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I've read through eBay's policies regarding buyer protection, but I'm unsure how they apply to situations like this.

There is nothing in eBay policy that suggests they will compensate anyone (the buyer or the seller) for an item that was damaged by anyone (buyer or seller or shipping carrier) during any transaction (whether online or in person)* 

(* for the anoraks, the only exception might item items that were damaged by an eBay authenticator or the eBay Vault) 

Any advice or guidance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated

If the buyer opens a dispute through eBay, you respond to it promptly as you would for any other eBay dispute. 

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Yes, I am serious. I rent out my property in London. The sofa was collected yesterday, but the buyer was at the property in LONDON, not Germany. When she removed the sofa from the building, she pulled out the cable, along with its protective casing (I called it rail, not sure of the name in English), from the ceiling of the communal areas inside the building. The cable is now hanging from the ceiling to the floor, with nothing holding it anymore. 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

The sofa is in London and is not garbage. I could sell it but I needed it to go quicky as I've a new one. 

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

eBay is not the one that will take care of this issue.

If the buyer damaged the cable from the ceiling, then you need to contact your  insurance to help pay for the repairs or make a legal claim with the buyer in London.   (or both)

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I just got £1 for the sofa. I wanted to give it away for free.. Thanks I will just report the lady. 

Message 15 of 27
latest reply