cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Cut Down a USPS Regional A Box to a Smaller Size?

Does the Post Office allow me to cut a Regional A Priority box down to smaller size?

I'll still pay the full Region A price as shown in the calculator.

The A box is the perfect cost for shipping my items, but they don't even fill the box halfway up.

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

No, you can't alter flat rate or regional packaging.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

No, you can't alter flat rate or regional packaging.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If you cut it down or change its shape in any way, you'll be charged the regular Priority Mail rate.

Unlike the PFRE that can be stuffed to near explosion, or folded to make smaller, the boxes can't be changed. Pricing is based on size and shape of box just like FRBs are.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Just stuff the box with extra padding like crushed paper; the cost is the same up to 15 pounds.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

Does the Post Office allow me to cut a Regional A Priority box down to smaller size?

I'll still pay the full Region A price as shown in the calculator.

The A box is the perfect cost for shipping my items, but they don't even fill the box halfway up.

One option might be to cut it down to fit, pack your item, and then put your cut-down box into another regular sized box. (Unless someone here knows that using two boxes for for one package violates some USPS rule.)

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Using two boxes for one shipment does not violate any USPS rule.

I sometimes put plates in a Regional A, wrap that box with bubble wrap, and then slip into a Regional B. It ships at the Reg B price.

I've personally asked two different postmasters, and was told that's fine, as long as the outer box is the higher rate box. A higher rate box inside a cheaper box would be postage avoidance.

But, they also told me that Priority Mail is never opened to check contents, like media mail, and the only way someone might get caught, is if the package got damaged, and the inner box becomes visible.

They told me they would rather go after short-payers and media class abusers, etc. They don't care a whit about double-boxing.

Déjà Moo: The strange feeling that I've heard this bull before...
Message 6 of 6
latest reply