cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera other than a smart phone some use for eBay photos

I had a Panasonic Lumix DMCZS19 for years I used to take a eBay photos with, it’s easier for me to create listings on my desktop than it is for me to do them with my smart phone🥲 has to do with my age, I’m assuming. If anybody can give me some suggestions of an, easy to use camera for photos for Ebay to get high definition, close-ups wide-angle I would appreciate it very much ! Thanks 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Buy a replacement Panasonic Lumix DMCZS19 from an eBay seller.
I have bought many used exact replacement items rather than new items.
1) I don't have study an owner's manual and learn a new brand/model.
2) I don't need the owners manual, accessories or cable. I have all of that.
3) There is no installing and configuring. Just plug it in.

Otherwise, buy a Kodak C330.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 18 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@buddyboy4949 wrote:

I had a Panasonic Lumix DMCZS19 for years I used to take a eBay photos with, it’s easier for me to create listings on my desktop than it is for me to do them with my smart phone🥲 has to do with my age, I’m assuming. If anybody can give me some suggestions of an, easy to use camera for photos for Ebay to get high definition, close-ups wide-angle I would appreciate it very much ! Thanks 

@buddyboy4949

I sold 100's of thousands of dollars worth of items on ebay and I did it with cheap Canon. Sony, Nikon, etc,  10 to 20 mega pixel cameras and a scanner for books - Really, not sure that you need much else than a decent camera - You can find easy to use 30 to 50 mega pixel cameras for $50 to $100 all day long on shopping sites. Good Luck

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I use my phone to start the listing process.

I start the listing with title and take pictures then save as a draft. I then get on the computer and finish the listing. Easy-peasy.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

I create listings on my desktop. I use my phone to take photos. The photos upload automatically to my desktop (with google photos).

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

I have been using a Canon Power Shot SX 100 that I purchased in I believe 2006...LOL

I had to buy an attachment to attach to camera attachment to computer(Apple). Apple Store was great in helping me with that.

The download of photos to computer is like 30 seconds.

I prefer direct sunlight...that's important...no lamp or ceiling lights.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Take the photos with your phone.

Email them to yourself and open the email on your computer. I do it all the time.

Sending America's collectibles where they belong, one auction at a time!

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

I use a Nikon D 80. 

I have a homemade light box. 

I never take pics in direct sunlight.

If I had to wait to take pics on a sunny day in the winter I'd be waiting awhile. 

I download the pics onto the computer. 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

I use a hand-me-down Lumix. My phone takes great outdoor shots but is lousy with product photography.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

@buddyboy4949 

Like @12345jamesstamps  I also use an old Canon Power Shot camera (SX160IS).  I have had it for so long I don't even remember how old it is.   It must be pretty old since I am old, and it was a replacement for my original Mavica LOL.  I just edit my photos on the SD card, so they never go onto my computer at all using a freeware dowload photo editor (PhotoscapeX).   The camera seems to take the best photos on a cloudy day outside, which happens here in FL just about every afternoon.  It is basically automatic point and shoot, but has other manual features as well.  

Two views of bracelet: 

aone2.JPGaone5.JPG

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@buddyboy4949 wrote:

If anybody can give me some suggestions of an, easy to use camera for photos for Ebay to get high definition, close-ups wide-angle I would appreciate it very much ! Thanks 

Add me to the Canon PowerShot fan club. Mine is an A540, and the image numbering tells me that it's taken over 15,000 photos so far. I bought a second A540 off eBay for some chump-change amount as an emergency backup in case the first one died (i.e. so that I could continue to use the Canon software and wouldn't have to learn a new device at a moment's notice), but both are still working fine.

I use the camera's tripod mount with a 2-second delay so that I can take nice sharp photos without having to hold the camera while taking the shot. I upload photos to my computer via a USB cable, just plugging one into the other, at which point the Canon software wakes up and handles the image transfers.

Keep in mind that eBay automatically drops the image size down to 500Kb or so when uploading your photos, so there's no need to have a camera capable of taking umpty-bazillion megabyte images; any older digital model will be fine. You're welcome to look at any of my listings; the images from my A540 average just over 1 megabyte apiece. Good luck.

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

I have been using a Panasonic Lumix of one model or another for about 20 years and I have no complaints.  And perhaps many of the slightly younger people here are more proficient with cell phones than moi, but I find it much quicker to just plug the camera into my computer and transfer all the photos rather than uploading and  downloading.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

There are many point and click smart cameras but the big deal is the ability to take "macro" pictures which means you can get really up close to your item, like within a few inches and still get a clear picture.

I use the Canon Powershot SX120is.

Buy them used in good condition on ebay, under $50, I usually get a few years out of each, I'm probably on my 5th one by now, I keep a working spare on hand as well.  

Not sure if it can be plugged into the PC direct, I simply use a card reader.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

It doesn't work for three dimensional items but my flat items (stamps, covers, books, sewing patterns) are best pictured by using my scanner.

Not only can I make the image sharper, but I can focus on tiny details like gum disturbance, which would be invisible with a camera.

Posted because many other sellers will also read this useful thread, and some may not have thought of using their scanners.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Put me into the smartphone crowd. I had used a Canon PowerShot A1100 IS from 2009 to 2022. Although I could take close-up photos really close to my Barbie dolls, their faces looked distorted compared to my Samsung Note 20 Ultra camera. I use 2x zoom, which keeps the smartphone shadow out of the photo, for full length photos and 5x zoom for faces, hands, feet, etc. 

I set up my photo shoot on my desk with a foam board on the desk and a tri-fold foam board propped up for the background. I am about 2 feet away from the subject, so there is no distortion. I also have an overhead ceiling light with LED light bulbs in an enclosed fixture. I consider the photos satisfactory, although there are shadows behind the subject. The colors are truer than taking the photo by a window on a sunny day.

I also have Windows Phone Link that connects my smartphone to the desktop computer through WiFi, so I can upload the photos to the desktop computer with no cords, and I just love it. I load the photos into a dedicated eBay folder and can then upload from there to my eBay listing.

I also use my scanner to make photos of my crochet pattern front (and back if needed). I tried to take photos of the pattern front by propping it up, but it looked skewed. The scanner is perfect for flat items.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I guess I just don't like holding a camera to take pics.

My camera is on a tripod & that's much better for me.

To each his own.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply