cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers Asking for PayPal Info

Hello!

I’m new to selling on EBay and am excited to be part of the community!  My first “sold item” went off without a hitch, however, for the next 2 items sold, the Seller is asking for me to send them my PayPal email address and/or asking me to text them.  I’ve read that this is often a sign of a scam and I know that this information is not needed to make a purchase, nor should it be requested, per Ebay policy however, I’m wondering… What do you tell Buyers when they ask for this?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyers Asking for PayPal Info

Congratulations on your sales!

What you mentioned is definitely a scam and against eBay's rules.  I don't like to be rude or presumptuous, but I notice you have a low feedback score.  Though it can happen to any seller, those targeted first by scammers tend to be new sellers with low feedback scores.  Though not a requirement, and some new sellers just roll with it, typically new eBayers spend some time buying some items and establishing a feedback score before trying to sell.

Be vigilant; anybody asking to complete transactions outside of eBay or asking for your contact information outside of eBay's official channels is, at worst, a scammer, and at best, breaking eBay rules.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Feel free to not respond at all.  As you know, no buyer needs that information, and, yes, it is often the sign of a scammer.

Tell them all they need to do is bid or buy and they have all the information they need to do that.

Do not engage in off-eBay communication.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

You're about to be scammed.

Through the eBay messaging, I tell them that the transaction has to be completed through eBay. If they're legit (and they haven't been yet), they won't have a problem with this. If they're not legit, I ignore any further contact they may try to make and let eBay handle the unpaid item.

If you have never owned a dachshund, no explanation is possible.
If you have owned a dachshund, no explanation is necessary.
(with apologies to St. Thomas Aquinas)
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Ignore them going forward and block them. It's an obvious attempt at scamming you.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I dont tell them anything .

I put em on my blocked bidders list and ignore em...

You can give them what they want and let em waist their time sending you fake payment notices and of course asking you to send to friend as gift and try and get you to include gift cards..... All scams of course...

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@teekahg wrote:

Hello!

I’m new to selling on EBay and am excited to be part of the community!  My first “sold item” went off without a hitch, however, for the next 2 items sold, the Seller is asking for me to send them my PayPal email address and/or asking me to text them.  I’ve read that this is often a sign of a scam and I know that this information is not needed to make a purchase, nor should it be requested, per Ebay policy however, I’m wondering… What do you tell Buyers when they ask for this?

Thank you!

I wouldn't tell them anything, because they're obviously attempting a scam. I'd just let the automatic non-payment process kick in, and then relist the item. But I'd use the Fixed Price format, with the Immediate Payment Required option, to eliminate this particular scam.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Congratulations on your sales!

What you mentioned is definitely a scam and against eBay's rules.  I don't like to be rude or presumptuous, but I notice you have a low feedback score.  Though it can happen to any seller, those targeted first by scammers tend to be new sellers with low feedback scores.  Though not a requirement, and some new sellers just roll with it, typically new eBayers spend some time buying some items and establishing a feedback score before trying to sell.

Be vigilant; anybody asking to complete transactions outside of eBay or asking for your contact information outside of eBay's official channels is, at worst, a scammer, and at best, breaking eBay rules.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Thank you Ted!  I will definitely make some purchases to drive my feedback, in addition to providing a great experience to my real buyers. 😁  I did read that newer sellers are targeted my scammers. I’m glad that I trusted my gut and didn’t fall victim to the scam.  They are persistent!

Appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Sorry to go off topic and have no advice, but your dolls are absolutely gorgeous.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

Sorry to go off topic and have no advice, but your dolls are absolutely gorgeous.

Agree they are! Crikey let's buy one for Bindi and her new baby girl!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you!  I’m not a doll person myself, but selling these for my mom.  🙂

Message 11 of 11
latest reply