cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer who wants the item shipped within like 14 hours 🙄

Just another one of those buyers who makes me roll my eyes...

Places an order after midnight. It was like 1:30am buyer's time on Saturday. 12:30am my time. Puts in the notes that he hopes I can ship "before Sunday". 

I have 3 business day handling, I typically ship next day. I'm not required to ship on Saturdays but I do it maybe 50/50. 

My go-to post office for regular drop-offs closes at noon Saturday. The other two in my area close at 2:30p and 3p. 

I'll get the item out, because I probably would have anyway, but I'll be shaking my head the whole time as I think about the buyer's note.... 

Do buyers truly not realize the differences between how 99.99999% of EBay sellers operate vs Amazon's Fulfillment Services...???

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Buyer who wants the item shipped within like 14 hours 🙄

Amazon delivery promises are worthless. The last 3 items I've ordered there have been delayed.

One was due to arrive Oct 4th then I get a message it'll be arriving 2 weeks later (preorder).

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

@ajs_coins_and_alchemy wrote:

I also tend to wonder if this will train buyers like this to be grateful for when we do accomplish the ask, or train them to become entitled and expect this sort of compliance. ... but I digress. Enough silly ponderance for one night. 

Lol. I think you know the answer to that question. It's a bit different when these don't turn out to be requests though. I'll add to this. I got this sale and buyer note at around 3pm earlier today (Friday). I wouldn't consider this a request, at least it doesn't sound like one to me.

note.jpg

......WOW.....

I still love the buyer who purchased on Friday of Labor Day weekend, I shipped it over the holiday weekend, it arrived Wednesday, and buyer said it was late shipping... 

Buyers seem to assume that those sellers who print labels immediately (like 5-10mins after purchase) are getting the pkgs out at that time ... they aren't getting their packages out any faster. I don't print til I'm ready to go to the PO. Had a different buyer purchase last night. I was packing but not printng. Thank god I didnt print, buyer requested cancellation 10 min later. Don't need that extra headache of voiding a label.

Items could theoretically be dropped off outside business hours but that package isn't going to move until business hours. If i go to my post office at 7p on a Saturday and use the kiosk and drop off, that package isnt moving til Monday. There are workers on Sunday doing AMZN pkgs, they aren't handling outbound pkgs.

Message 17 of 34
latest reply

Ive experienced the same recently. 2 day shipping becoming 5-7 day shipping domestically. I get it when it's like a 3-4 wk shipping estimate because its coming from Asia and then gets delayed a couple wks, I honestly expect that, but several day delays domestically... you aren't USPS guys 🤣 usually it has seemed to be a fulfillment issue b/c it doesnt show shipped yet.

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

1. Your buyer did not demand any thing -  But as you stated  they "hoped" you could.

2.  It seems like  that you can and would comply without them asking. 

3. So simply message them and  say you would.

4.  Then you can relax and maybe catch some ZZZs

Remember a buyer and his cash are king -  sold for over 4 decades and had beaucoup repeat buyers

1. Agreed, and never want to assume, but I've had a rash of polite "requests" that turned out to be not so polite underneath. (Very polite sounding discount requests that turned downright nasty after not being able to meet their request).

2. 50/50 would have complied without them asking. Definitely going to PO today, 50/50 their item wouldve gone out w/ the batch. 

3. Personally prefer not messaging to reply to a buyers note to seller at checkout for things like this. Just going to do what I was going to do already. Reasons are I don't like committing to anything I don't have to, b/c if something came up last second, I don't want buyer to have a commitment from me to ship when I'm already required not to

Also don't want to make a connection that I was doing this upon their request, because I didn't and wasn't. Don't need Pavlov's dog here.

4. Wish I could catch some ZZZs this morning LOL

Agree (good) buyers and their cash are king. There is a line where every seller needs to draw and decide if they want certain buyers or not. By no means has this buyer crossed a line to where I don't want them as a buyer (...yet?...) I specifically point back to saying I would simply roll my eyes the whole time (not BBL or cancel order). However, I believe sellers need to accept the buyer is not always right, and need to decide who they want (and don't want) buying from them. I bring this all up in the very general sense as it's a general thing I have had to face, deal with and adpot more and more recently. Ive got beautiful repeat customers... ive also got awful former customers. 

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

As a very pragmatic buyer, I know better than to order something online that I need to have right away, and know even better not to ask the seller to go out of their way to ship faster than their handling time states. If I'm going to hold them to follow their listing terms, I will likewise stay in my lane to let the seller do their thing when shipping.

Reasonable buyers are understanding of how things work... Entitled buyers are willing to overlook all of that.

I appreciate the sellers here who will still accommodate such buyers, but as others have observed... Those buyers may return to continue business while tweaking your time and efforts and in general, be PITAs.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

@iamalwaysright wrote:

I also tend to wonder if this will train buyers like this to be grateful for when we do accomplish the ask, or train them to become entitled and expect this sort of compliance. ... but I digress. Enough silly ponderance for one night. 

Lol. I think you know the answer to that question. It's a bit different when these don't turn out to be requests though. I'll add to this. I got this sale and buyer note at around 3pm earlier today (Friday). I wouldn't consider this a request, at least it doesn't sound like one to me.

note.jpg

If I got that note (that I'm paid ship it today), I would respond to them when I get home from work and check my Ebay, that I was at work all day, and while I will pack their item tonight, it will not ship until tomorrow.

C.

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

note.jpg

If I got that note (that I'm paid ship it today), I would respond to them when I get home from work and check my Ebay, that I was at work all day, and while I will pack their item tonight, it will not ship until tomorrow.

C.

But...but....but.... you sell on EBay! You can't have a job or a life! You need to be on hand 24/7 to respond to messages IMMEDIATELY and ship paid items IMMEDIATELY! How dare you provide sub-par customer service. I'm appalled!

Message 22 of 34
latest reply

It's those pragmatic buyers who are easily forgotten about. The buyers who don't ask 1,000 questions abusing your generosity with the time you offer, the buyers who pay for the item without pestering you for additional discounts, the buyers who don't pester you about shipping timeline and "MAKE SURE YOU SEND ME THAT TRACKING NUMBER 😡🤬" ... the buyers who are happy to get their item packed well and shipped speedily... the ones who understand USPS delays sometimes, the ones who are just happy to do business with you and are generally pleasant and appreciative people. They are the ones you forget exist becauss you never hear from them, they are just hanging out in the background and are the backbone of the business. We sellers need to remember to appreciate them, because there are many many more of them than there are the "bad" or PITA buyers.

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Frankly I'm not impressed with Amazon delivery. Even when I had prime I never received an item the same, nor the next day. One of the items came a month later and it was the wrong item. 

So this buyer was looking for you to get it out to them on Saturday. I'm sure you probably did. I would have done the same, if the product actually shipped on Saturdays. Many of mine don't and it is stated in the listing...  

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

@gloryglorygifts wrote:

Frankly I'm not impressed with Amazon delivery. Even when I had prime I never received an item the same, nor the next day. One of the items came a month later and it was the wrong item. 

So this buyer was looking for you to get it out to them on Saturday. I'm sure you probably did. I would have done the same, if the product actually shipped on Saturdays. Many of mine don't and it is stated in the listing...  

Actually just dropped it off. I'll ship on Saturday if it's convenient for me, I won't go out of my way to do it. It does cut down on how many items I ship on Monday, so I have 2 days of orders instead of 3 going out on Monday. Makes for an easier load. Also nice since sometimes an item shipped Saturday arrives at destination on Monday. I've seen that happen even going half way across the country like Chicago to Phoenix.

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

It's those pragmatic buyers who are easily forgotten about. The buyers who don't ask 1,000 questions abusing your generosity with the time you offer, the buyers who pay for the item without pestering you for additional discounts, the buyers who don't pester you about shipping timeline and "MAKE SURE YOU SEND ME THAT TRACKING NUMBER 😡🤬" ... the buyers who are happy to get their item packed well and shipped speedily... the ones who understand USPS delays sometimes, the ones who are just happy to do business with you and are generally pleasant and appreciative people. They are the ones you forget exist becauss you never hear from them, they are just hanging out in the background and are the backbone of the business. We sellers need to remember to appreciate them, because there are many many more of them than there are the "bad" or PITA buyers.

Thank you for that. 

I will add that as a buyer, I am equally annoyed by fellow  buyers making generalizations of all sellers being thieves and charlatans. We all share a symbiotic relationship, and it definitely takes two to tango.

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

I always ship within 24 hours, and also do on Saturday most of the time. I would just accommodate the buyer as you may get a repeat customer . 

I do too, however my handling time on all my listings is 2 days, because just sometimes life gets in the way.  This way my buyers are really happy because they usually get the package earlier than expected.  It has worked well for me for a long time and I don't have to panic if I need the extra day.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 27 of 34
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

@iamalwaysright wrote:

note.jpg

C.

But...but....but.... you sell on EBay! You can't have a job or a life! You need to be on hand 24/7 to respond to messages IMMEDIATELY and ship paid items IMMEDIATELY! How dare you provide sub-par customer service. I'm appalled!

LOL. I very much enjoy telling people who message me a bunch of times in the middle of the night that I didn't reply to them because I was sleeping. between 2am and 6am one guy messaged me 5 times to ask for a deal on a coin. He digressed to writing in all caps and getting very demanding that I answer. I wrote back "I didn't answer you because I was sleeping".

C.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

Hah! And when I message buyers back immediately between 2-5 am they are shocked I am awake and usually thankful... one has even told me "you can wait til morning if you want" and I'm just like nahhh, I'll take care of it now. God I can't imagine the person you dealt with expecting a response in the middle of the night ... that's inappropriate ANY time of day 🙄

Message 29 of 34
latest reply

i'll give you one better and this happens often to me.

I sell a NOS OEM BOXED/Sealed car part for $100 with Free shipping.

there are only 4 people selling said car part on the entire internet of which I am the cheapest.

the other 3 are dealers nd they have it listed for $500 + shipping.

Buyer goes back and forth with $50, $60, $65 offers which all were denied over a duration of 3 days.

Buyer then sends me a message:" whats the lowest you will take? "

I replied: " $80 " and we agreed, friday afternoon 6 PM.

I have a 2 business days policy on large items since they are stored in a storage facility 1.5 hours away and I only go there monday, wed, friday and occasionally on weekend if I hike in that area.

on saturday evening the buyer send me a message asking me why the item hasn't shipped yet because his work truck is down and he needs the item asap as this is his source of income.

?????? why spend 4 days going back and forth if the part is for your 1972 chevy P30 truck which you need to make a living? a part that is almost obsolete and im selling at the cheapest with free shipping?

Message 30 of 34
latest reply