cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer threatened to take item and refund due to shipping delay by USPS

Buyer sent me several rude messages including one that says "I think you know , if i report this order as not recived i can take full money back and i can take laptop to. You can read ebay rules abaut this."

Buyer has now opened INR case when tracking has moved within 24 hours. Delay was only 4 days. Buyer also demanded a refund of 50$ on a 380$ item with the message "i want 50 usd for this delay. and than i can wait"

I'm upset by this. What will happen?
"

I'm in college and just trying to sell my old laptop.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer threatened to take item and refund due to shipping delay by USPS

@wildpitchsports 

Under these circumstances, if I were the seller, I would look into whether I could put a recall request on the package. The buyer has told you that they will steal the laptop, if they can, so I would try to get it back. If USPS is able to retrieve it, it should show up on the tracking history when they scan it being returned to the sender.

Don't say anything about it to the buyer, if you are able to do that. Don't argue with the buyer, don't engage except to be very professional.

If you get the package back, then cancel the transaction and refund the buyer in full ASAP. Ideally, you need to do this before the buyer can escalate the case to eBay. You may want to cancel and refund when you see the package is being returned to you, if the buyer is getting more upset.

Report the buyer for demanding something that was not included.

If USPS can't intercept the package, then you will just have to wait it out, and hope that it is delivered before the buyer can escalate an INR case to eBay.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 11 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@bixcoita_0 

If it's past the estimated delivery date, the buyer has the right to open an INR.

If there is recent tracking, they might put the case on hold for a few days to see if it gets delivered.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It seems awful for the buyer to threaten me like this. USPS is out of my control.

If the buyer needed the item sooner they should have contacted me.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

File a lost item with UPS, if it is stuck, that will usually get it moving. Also file a complaint with eBay about demanding a partial refund

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I did contact eBay about this buyer-the tracking has been updated recently so I don't think it's lost

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Actually, eBay should not be putting an estimated delivery date. Estimated means it is an estimate, yet it is interpreted as gospel. The USPS went out of control when someone put Dejoy in charge who loves destroying the USPS for the joy of it. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Exactly! Wow, if I had 50$ for every item I bought that was delayed!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@dnasilver  Agree 1000%! USPS is why I lost my TRS last year.  Technically you really cannot predict when an item will be delivered, especially if there are detours like bad weather, lack of employees or a pandemic.  

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

First, report them for asking for extra money outside the transaction, that's #1.

#2 as long as your ebay tracking is uploaded you will be covered long run. Had this happen to me a couple of times late last year (not the extortion, the shipping delays) and all went well as long as you keep your customer updated and get in touch with UPS. File a case with UPS and it seemed to move them along some.

It's a pain definitely. Also make sure you're professional with the customer and ebay (as hard is it may be.) It makes things easier in the long run.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

It is the seller’s responsibility to see that the item reaches the buyer within the estimated delivery date. Sellers cannot be cavalier about accepting someone’s money, and then just shrug one’s shoulders in an “Oh Well, it’ll get there eventually” stance, or expecting the buyer to take a chill pill. Sellers have an obligation to take care of the transaction. 

Your buyer may be rude, but that doesn’t make him wrong about getting a refund without returning the goods. It happens, with eBay’s assent. Buyers can invoke the Money Back Guarantee and force a seller to refund.

So be prepared for contingencies, like having to refund. Hang on to the funds. Buyers have 30 days to file for a refund after delivery. Because of this, eBay is not the ideal platform for making a quick sale to generate some fast cash flow.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

@wildpitchsports 

Under these circumstances, if I were the seller, I would look into whether I could put a recall request on the package. The buyer has told you that they will steal the laptop, if they can, so I would try to get it back. If USPS is able to retrieve it, it should show up on the tracking history when they scan it being returned to the sender.

Don't say anything about it to the buyer, if you are able to do that. Don't argue with the buyer, don't engage except to be very professional.

If you get the package back, then cancel the transaction and refund the buyer in full ASAP. Ideally, you need to do this before the buyer can escalate the case to eBay. You may want to cancel and refund when you see the package is being returned to you, if the buyer is getting more upset.

Report the buyer for demanding something that was not included.

If USPS can't intercept the package, then you will just have to wait it out, and hope that it is delivered before the buyer can escalate an INR case to eBay.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

I live in NH where they removed all the high speed sorting machines and reduced the package distribution to 1 center.

There is only one small airport,  with a small amount of outgoing flights.  

We need postal workers.     We have postal pick up because it is a commercial building and 2 weeks ago the substitute postman took the packages from here and delivered them to an apartment mail room.

Fun.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Yep! I'm just going to intercept it. This has been the worst eBay sale I have ever had.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Or, if it goes through Memphis Processing.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@wrong66  Good point! lol

Message 15 of 18
latest reply